pennfishing82

Penn 710 vs modern reels

Rate this topic

66 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

So I was thinking about selling my like new Penn 710 greenie and getting a more modern spinning reel for a faster gear ratio. All these local tackle shops said that modern reels are much better. Smoother gears, faster gear ratios to pick up line quicker, stronger drags, and lighter in weight. Maybe something like a Penn pursuit, fierce, battle, or the new Daiwa BG or daiwa eliminator, or an okuma avenger, okuma Rockaway surf reel. I strictly surf fish. Do you think I should go for a modern reel or keep fishing the old school greenie forever??

Edited by pennfishing82

I use a 706 $120 and a torque 5 $600,,,,,:laugh: there no difference in catching fish,,,,:) the 706 just upgraded the factory drag washers with the smooooth drag washers and cals grease from mystic parts it works fantastic the reel is easy to service,,,,,,,:eek: the torque im always fiddling with it tighten screws adjusting the bail,,,,:p but when set,,,, it can handle anything sks vs ar 15,,,,,:D20190929_221817.jpg.d910ffff6df2d78f061b7b7b2a01d33f.jpg

20180930_222731.jpg

The 710 is my all the me favorite old school Penn spinning reel.  Hands down!  It’s cheap, easy to service and there is no shortage of parts.  That said I love the new stuff too!  Faster, smoother, buttery but eggggggspensive.  I like all of it from vintage to brand new.  Keep it, buy something new and try it.  Just have fun and if you don’t like it sell it

I would keep the reel and buy something more modern if you want. Save the 710 for a backup reel..

I still use my 710Z. My only complaint would be the line roller which has a bushing instead of a bearing and needs some attention to be sure its working. This is the same for the 704Z. Other than that it's very simple to care for. I use only Fireline as it seems to be the best line choice for this as well as the 704 & 706 models.

The only change I make with the 710 is I use a 704 handle on it. I like how the larger handle feels when using this model.

The shops aren’t selling 710 reels no more so that’s a factor a new battle or new bg would be ok but not last as long as a 710. The other reels you mentioned I’d avoid like a mother inlaw.

Put 712 gears in your 710 give a little faster retrieve.. I drilled out my kids 710, made it bailless, put the 704 handle on it and put the 712 gears in it.. he fished it for about 8 years that way.. he recently switched over to a bg4500..

Edited by ghostfish slayer

On 9/9/2021 at 2:07 PM, pennfishing82 said:

So I was thinking about selling my like new Penn 710 greenie and getting a more modern spinning reel for a faster gear ratio. All these local tackle shops said that modern reels are much better. Smoother gears, faster gear ratios to pick up line quicker, stronger drags, and lighter in weight. Maybe something like a Penn pursuit, fierce, battle, or the new Daiwa BG or daiwa eliminator, or an okuma avenger, okuma Rockaway surf reel. I strictly surf fish. Do you think I should go for a modern reel or keep fishing the old school greenie forever??

If you sell that 710 you're going to regret it and if I were to pick a single spinning reel which I dislike very much, it would be the old school daiwa BG series like a BG 20 or a BG 30 extremely simple minimum of parts inside and design is proven.

IMHO the old daiwa BG series is better than any you have mentioned.

That's if I had no choice than use a spinner.

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

hang it up on the shelf and spend under $300 on a new reel.

time and place for everything, the greenie is an absolute tank and should be passed down.

On 9/9/2021 at 2:07 PM, pennfishing82 said:

The question is, do YOU feel a NEED to change?  What doesn't the 710 do that you want a new reel to do?

If youy think that the Penn lacks features that you need, then buy the new reel.  If the Penn is getting the job done, why change?

Remember the basic fact:  Tackle shops, magazines, manufacturer's advertising, TV shows, etc. will all tell you that the newest models, because that's how they make their money.  A shop makes exactly $0.00 if you keep using what you own, so the folks there are likely to suggest that you need something new.

Yes, the Penns are heavier,.  That's because they're made of stainless steel and marine bronze, not aluminum and plastic.  That's why the 704 that I bought in high school--I graduated in 1972--still works.  Do you think that today's lightweight wonders will last that long?  Or will they fade away after a few years, setting you up to buy the even newer, even "better" model that will be on the market then?

If you feel like you need a new reel, go out and buy one.  If the 710 is getting the job done, keep your money in your pocket; you worked hard for it, and there's no need to put it in someone else's if you don't have a need to.

19 mins ago, CWitek said:

The question is, do YOU feel a NEED to change?  What doesn't the 710 do that you want a new reel to do?

If youy think that the Penn lacks features that you need, then buy the new reel.  If the Penn is getting the job done, why change?

Remember the basic fact:  Tackle shops, magazines, manufacturer's advertising, TV shows, etc. will all tell you that the newest models, because that's how they make their money.  A shop makes exactly $0.00 if you keep using what you own, so the folks there are likely to suggest that you need something new.

Yes, the Penns are heavier,.  That's because they're made of stainless steel and marine bronze, not aluminum and plastic.  That's why the 704 that I bought in high school--I graduated in 1972--still works.  Do you think that today's lightweight wonders will last that long?  Or will they fade away after a few years, setting you up to buy the even newer, even "better" model that will be on the market then?

If you feel like you need a new reel, go out and buy one.  If the 710 is getting the job done, keep your money in your pocket; you worked hard for it, and there's no need to put it in someone else's if you don't have a need to.

It only has a 3.6 ratio. And it has a plastic spool. Can't find any aluminum spools.

3 mins ago, pennfishing82 said:

It only has a 3.6 ratio. And it has a plastic spool. Can't find any aluminum spools.

And the fishing that you're doing requires a faster retrieve?  I usually find that bass like their lures moving fairly slow, particularly at night.  But if you're fishing for something that requires a faster retrieve, by all means go for it.

And has your spool fallen apart?  If it hasn't, is it possible that maybe you don't need aluminum?  I worked in a tackle shop back in the Penn 710's (and 704's, 712's, 714's, 716's, and 722's) glory days, and never remember many people coming in with spool problems.  Could happen, with overly stretchy line or line too heavy (with too much drag) for a reel of that size, but never struck me as a common problem.  My 710s never had a spool come apart, and they're 1970s vintage, too, with plenty of bass and hiugh-teens bluefish to their credit.  But it does happen occasionally.,

I always found the weak spot of the 710 to be the bail, which tends to get knocked out of shape a little too easily.

As others said keep the Penn. It will outlive any current reel in the market most likely. Parts easy to get, so easy to fix. There’s upgrades you could do as another mentioned. You could even go crazy, and turn it into a Penn Staal, with cutting slots in the rotor, and holes drilled in the spool to drain sand/water.

If you want latest tech, and buttery smooth take a look at maybe the new Shimano Stradics or more water resistant Saragosa.

Or if you got $$ to burn, want waterproof, and a reel you can beat up in the surf look at Van Staal’s. I would still keep the 710 tho.

On 9/12/2021 at 3:31 PM, ghostfish slayer said:

Put 712 gears in your 710 give a little faster retrieve.. I drilled out my kids 710, made it bailless, put the 704 handle on it and put the 712 gears in it.. he fished it for about 8 years that way.. he recently switched over to a bg4500..

712 gears in a 710?