CrappieAttitude

October Trip

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

Day 3 - spent 3 hours at Avalon Pier this morning - zip, zilch, nada!  I saw one small bluefish caught and that was it.  Back to the beach in the morning.

Day 5 - on the beach - the ocean was rocking and rolling - a 4oz Sputnik was holding.  Caught two nice keeper sea mullet - adding to the fish fry stash.

Turned my back on my rods to get some bait - when I turned back one rod and reel and sand spike missing.  I cast around a few times hoping to snag it but no luck.  Having mentally kissed that outfit goodbye I went back to fishing.  Maybe 10 minutes later I am reeling in and feels like I’ve hooked something but no head shakes.  It’s my missing outfit!!

LIFE IS GOOD!

21 hours ago, CrappieAttitude said:

Day 5 - on the beach - the ocean was rocking and rolling - a 4oz Sputnik was holding.  Caught two nice keeper sea mullet - adding to the fish fry stash.

Turned my back on my rods to get some bait - when I turned back one rod and reel and sand spike missing.  I cast around a few times hoping to snag it but no luck.  Having mentally kissed that outfit goodbye I went back to fishing.  Maybe 10 minutes later I am reeling in and feels like I’ve hooked something but no head shakes.  It’s my missing outfit!!

LIFE IS GOOD!

Classic!  I hear one of these stories every couple of years.

Arrived Avon 5:00 PM. Driving rain. Be he the next 30 days. The word is there are still some mullet in the surf, (mostly in the inlets) and a few medium size reds at the point. The guys that fished today were finding they had to be in the right place to hold. Its rough but they came to fish.

9 hours ago, CrappieAttitude said:

Day 7 - the wind and the ocean are REALLY rocking and rolling today!!  No fishing today

I was a desperate man, wetted a line and caught a flounder in the most strangest of places in the back.

The commercial bait guy was getting a nice supply of mullet tossing a net from the dock while we finished dinner at Dinky’s. I was half tempted to catch up to him and score some fresh bait like a desperate junkie.

Day 9 - surf was still high and it was raining - but by god we were going to fish!!  Fished about 2.5 hours on the incoming tide.  Caught a small black drum, a small sea mullet and a nice keeper sea mullet for the fish fry.  Tomorrow (Wednesday) should be better.

Caught Reds at the point this morning for about two hrs. did hear of a bite high on 27 said most were slot fish. Water is cloudy but very fishable wind was NW at 12mph very little current on north beach. What I saw of south beach about the same. Tomorrow is supposed to be a change in weather. we’ll see./

Day 11 - beautiful day on the beach - nicest weather in the last 8 days.  Fished the surf for about 6 hours.  Lots of baby black drum, several undersized speckled trout, a couple baby pompano.  Caught 6 keeper sea mullet and 2 keeper pompano.  Caught a black drum that looked to be borderline legal - but he fell off the hook in the wash and swam away!  

I keep hearing the north side has fish. I fished the inlet this morning and had the shoal all to myself. Nothing but a short flounder which was my last cast for the morning. 
I went back down around 5, saw one guy fishing that I was talking to this morning. He had nothing. There is a TON of bait around.