CrappieAttitude

October Trip

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

Will be down in the Outer Banks (Corolla) October 3 - 17.  Hoping for some nice sea mullet, puppy drum and speckled trout from the surf.  Also plan a few outings at the Avalon Pier.  Will post pics of my catches - hopefully!!

Can anyone provide any intelligence as to whether its worth it to bring my sand flea rake?  Are sand fleas typically around at that time of year?  Thanks in advance

The sand fleas will probably still be around - at least at the south facing beaches. Have never stayed as far  north as Corolla so no idea. But there has been some pretty bait recently as far north as Rodanthe.

Sand fleas have been in abundance this year however, the last week they seemed to have completely disappeared

(not that they won't start showing up again)? Live in Southern Shores- nothing.

I was down in Rodanthe yesterday- also nothing... might just be from the storms out at sea that are affecting the area at the moment. Wave action is pounding the beaches!

The bite was picking up in the northern areas, landed some good sized mullet and pomps Tuesday- right in the wash-

just before the Red flags started going up.

Sounds like you are in for the longest month of the year in anticipation!  I'd love to be hitting the surf then!

Sand fleas are a strange species.  Much like fish, one week they are everywhere, the next nowhere to be found.  One thing that I sort of figured out, but not sure how consistent.  When they are playing hard to get, they seem to be much easier to find on incoming tides with the water washing them out of the sand.  If that is the case, try to load up on them then and have enough for a few days.  Check out some videos on Youtube of those multi layer containers you can make for their urine to drain and save better.  

I was also fishing one day in early May in NJ not getting a bite on anything.  I had my chair on a bit of a cliff that the high tide mark had made.  Tide was outgoing maybe about half way to low tide.  While bored, I was kicking my heels into the sand cliff.  I noticed a big sand flea take off.  I ended up uncovering 20 or so more digging around in the area that the water hadn't even hit in the previous high tide.  I put them on and within minutes I caught 2 nice stripers following tips from the NJ forums (one was 30").

I have read on that forum and possibly this one and/or FL forum, they are around year round, but will burry themselves deeper when cooler out.  So, I assume those days that I can't find them, they are around, but just not where I am looking.

If I had a rake, I'd definitely take it.  Try a few different areas that you normally wouldn't if your patterns aren't working.  Hopefully you find them right away or slamming fish on something else.  I always find catching bait an enjoyable way to spend some time if the fish aren't cooperating.

I will be down the first three weeks in November staying in Avon. In the past they have always been around in Nov, so bring the rake. 

As a bait they are either the hottest bait or nothing will touch them. I have experience both, don't know why they work one day and not the next, but that's fishing.

Worth bringing the rake IMO, I'll be down the week after you! Like Ghost said, they are either there or they aren't, I'm of the opinion that they are just super deep when the air/sand temps get low. I'm sure it's some combination of a bunch of variables that brings em up to the wash.

Anyway, good luck, let us know how it goes that week!

Day 1 - out at first light - threw a variety of artificials for about an hour.  One bump (maybe) - otherwise nada.

Went back to the house for some coffee - set up my surf rods and got myself organized.  Back out for about 2.5 hours.  I must have been fishing in the nursery - nothing but small ones - lots of croaker and black drum and1 pompano that was almost big enough to keep.

Back at it tomorrow AM

We had a slow week from Sept 19 to the 26th until we discovered a spot for the drum. We were in Hatteras village fishing mostly ramp 55. I was digging for some fleas but didn’t find any. Water was still very warm.

Trip # 2 starts Saturday with family this time . Same town and hope the weather is good as the fishing.

Day 2 - still fishing in the nursery - pompano, croaker, black drum and a 6-inch flounder!  But I did catch 4 keeper spot and a keeper pompano for the frying pan.  Heading to Avalon Pier tomorrow.  Weather continues to be great!