planter

Good Old Party Boats

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Lord knows that many decades ago we would save up to do an all day trip on a party boat although I hear them referred to as head-in boats more often. Boy did we catch some fish. We loaded fish boxes out of Plymouth and out of Hyannisport and Point Judith. It was great!!

I have a friend coming from out of state with a couple of teenagers who haven't had much exposure to the outdoors but who are dying to go fishing. I can certainly take them out on my boat and hook them up with some schoolies no problem but I thought a good old party boat trip would be cool. Maybe even an overnighter. 

It's been so long since I've been on such a trip I just thought I would get some reviews and recommendations. I am not necessarily looking for the boats that always catch but I'm looking for a boat that always tries with a good attentive crew and a nice variance of crusty individuals leaning over the railing growling (Nothing personal) but very helpful if respected. If I play this right I might just bring a couple more young adults over to the dark side of fishing and yes even hunting and gun ownership. Anyone??

Don't know where your destination is, but there's the Yankee II out of Harwichport

"We will be fishing for Scup, Black Sea Bass, and Fluke. 

Rod, reel, and bait are included and parking is free at Saquatucket Harbor."

BSB is closed, however. 

On The Water just started showing a series of YouTube videos profiling a few of the long-standing party boat companies in the area, which will give you a decent idea of the crews and captains at each company. 

7 hours ago, planter said:

Lord knows that many decades ago we would save up to do an all day trip on a party boat although I hear them referred to as head-in boats more often. Boy did we catch some fish. We loaded fish boxes out of Plymouth and out of Hyannisport and Point Judith. It was great!!

I have a friend coming from out of state with a couple of teenagers who haven't had much exposure to the outdoors but who are dying to go fishing. I can certainly take them out on my boat and hook them up with some schoolies no problem but I thought a good old party boat trip would be cool. Maybe even an overnighter. 

It's been so long since I've been on such a trip I just thought I would get some reviews and recommendations. I am not necessarily looking for the boats that always catch but I'm looking for a boat that always tries with a good attentive crew and a nice variance of crusty individuals leaning over the railing growling (Nothing personal) but very helpful if respected. If I play this right I might just bring a couple more young adults over to the dark side of fishing and yes even hunting and gun ownership. Anyone??

I would take them on your own boat instead of a party boat. A party boat can be fun but it can also be a nightmare of tangled lines, drunks and not much catching. 

Many moons ago I worked the deck with the owner of the Helen H. Joe "Huck" Huckemeyer has a passion for, and knowledge of  fishing, and I believe you'll have a good day if you go with him. But, the uncertainty of the weather this time of year would keep me closer to shore, rather than an over nighter.  Sea sickness can turn most people into trout fishermen.(Not that there is anything wrong with that)

I"ve fished on the Helen H.  It was excellent, the crew is top notch they found fish and where total pros.  In my case it was a fluke trip, and I think that's what they are kind of known for, but they run all kinds of trips on that boat including tuna.  Have fun, doing research like this is probably the best way to find a good boat to take your friends on.

I worked for Frank and his Francis Fleet in Pt Judith.  Can't say enough good things about his boats and captains, we didn't put up with the drunk bull**** either.  

My two cents, from someone who's been on over a hundred head boat trips in Mass.  If you're north, look at the Gloucester boats.  Being at the tip of Cape Ann they're much closer to Tillies and Jeffreys Ledges, therefore a lot more fishing time.  Also, they offer half days that can be very productive.  The boats out of Hampton Harbor and Newburyport are very professional with great crews but have longer travel times to the grounds.  As to the weather and seasickness, one can get just as miserable on the in river bass trips due to surf and tide conditions you might not encounter in deeper waters.  Finally, bring a camera, as somedays on Stellwagen you'll see more whales than you can count.  Most of the outfits on the north shore have fairly honest fishing reports on their websites.

Bunny Clark, Ogunquit, ME .... the best bottom fishing party boat around north of Boston in my opinion.  I've been on a number of them from Newburyport to Gloucester since the mid 80's and the BC is the best by far.

The Helen H is terrific for those to the south ... been out with Huck a number of times and they do a great job.  

On 9/10/2021 at 11:58 AM, Northshore Bob said:

Bunny Clark, Ogunquit, ME .... the best bottom fishing party boat around north of Boston in my opinion.  I've been on a number of them from Newburyport to Gloucester since the mid 80's and the BC is the best by far.

The Helen H is terrific for those to the south ... been out with Huck a number of times and they do a great job.  

My father used to take me out on the Bunny Clark religiously when I was young. I wanted to be Captain Tim Tower when I grew up lol. Always had a great time on that boat, that and the Ugly Anne 

The Kingfisher out of atlantic avenue an old coast guard ice breaker with two jails, was once the premiere head boat to fish from during the early 40;s and 50's . Mr. Fowler from Fowlers Marina in Revere and his faithful bull dog  was always on board each trip. The poor dog would often be hooked by a careless fisherman and had a few scars from over the years . Mr. Fowler later on allowed me to be a mate on the boat, that some times had close to 100 fishing on it. Cod, Haddock,Silver hake,Pollock, and huge Halibut   with an occasional shark were the catch of the day with pools for the largest cod winning the top prize with the largest pollock would get 30 percent of what was in the pool that every one put in if it was larger than the largest cod . It was a long ride by bus and train to get to down town and Atlantic ave  every week end where I would get a free trip, and work on the boat the next day as mate. Taking care of the bait and cutting fish . The other boat was the Cockern, It used coal and had to be pumped out of the water every day as it sank right at the dock every day , I hardly fished on that boat for that reason . Thems were the days  I later would fish with the Andy Lynn boats,out of Plymouth and also with Huck out of Hyannis and Frank Blount out of Point Judith and the Glouster fleet and LYNN  Peace and Prayers

3 hours ago, harley48 said:

My father used to take me out on the Bunny Clark religiously when I was young. I wanted to be Captain Tim Tower when I grew up lol. Always had a great time on that boat, that and the Ugly Anne 

My father regularly fished the Yankee boats - the old Yankee Patriot in particular - out of Gloucester from the late 1960's through the 70's.  He started going with Tim Tower on his first boat the Mary E in the early 80's until Tim had the Bunny built and launched; my dad started taking me in 1984 at age 14.  Been fishing with Tim ever since.  He's a super guy, fastidious, incredibly hard-working, and a flat-out excellent fisherman.