bassturds

Tropical visitors advice

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Any advice for locating and catching the warm water visitors. Northern sennets, triggers, puffers, banded rudders, Jack’s etc 

Ive tried a famous jetty in RI and a famous jetty in the cape.  

Ive been trying with Sabiki rigs, small #6 octopus hooks on a jig lo rig with small pieces of bait, albie metals, small 1/16 and 1/32 ounce jigs. So far no cool unusual species. 
Also use a dip net as well. 

Is it by chance? Just weed through the scup sea bass and snapper blues?  

heading to Ri this weekend. Fingers crossed 

54 mins ago, bassturds said:

Any advice for locating and catching the warm water visitors. Northern sennets, triggers, puffers, banded rudders, Jack’s etc 

Ive tried a famous jetty in RI and a famous jetty in the cape.  

Ive been trying with Sabiki rigs, small #6 octopus hooks on a jig lo rig with small pieces of bait, albie metals, small 1/16 and 1/32 ounce jigs. So far no cool unusual species. 
Also use a dip net as well. 

Is it by chance? Just weed through the scup sea bass and snapper blues?  

heading to Ri this weekend. Fingers crossed 

There's a pier on the backwater that leads to that famous jetty. That's where we got the lizardfish last week and also where we got sennet last year.

The sennet we got vertical jigging small spoons along the pilings.

The lizardfish fish we got casting small spoons and working them close to the bottom.

In past years there have been small (six inch) jacks that would hit our albies flies off that jetty. Haven't seen them this year but I bet they're around somewhere. 

Casting small freshwater sized spoons can be productive. Basically the same techniques you'd use for snappa blues.

If you have a sturdy dip net, try scooping up clumps of weeds and sorting through it. You can find lots of cool locals including sticklebacks, sculpin, cunner, baby tog and rock gunnel. You might also get lucky with any number of oddball and tropicals including a seahorse like my son did on Labor day.

If you're totally bored and the fish aren't biting, go down around the jetty rocks at low tide and peer into the caves and crevices among the boulders. Works better in more sheltered areas like inside breachways. That's your best shot for seeing butterflyfish or damsal fish without actually snorkeling/diving.

If you get really really bored, find a comphy rock close to the water in a breachway on the outgoing and just sit there. Watch closely at all the weeds and flotsam that drifts by. Look closely and be sure everything that looks like a weed really is. That's how I caught my cowfish and saw a lookdown drift by.

Another productive technique is to use a seine net, the bigger the better. Obviously takes two guys. We have got butterflyfish and mangrove snapper back inside a large saltpond with a wildlife refuge on it. Actually the list of cool stuff you can catch with a seine is endless. I'm not a huge fan because it's too much like work. It also tends to kill alot of the more fragile silversides and killifish that will be crammed in their by the hundreds. It takes awhile to sort through it all. 

These are all the shore based techniques I can think of, not counting snorkeling/diving with dipnets, which is by far the best for true tropical strays.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Kind of the same advice bounce a small   metal off the bottom right in the areas your fishing. Hogy heavy minnow works great.

Edited by sandbars

I added to my exotic list the past couple weeks. Lizard fish and baby blue runner.

The lizards were occasionally jumping out after bait in just inches of water. Caught on a small epoxy. The baby blue runners were schooled up and feeding like snapper blues. Caught a half dozen on an epoxy before leaving them alone.

The lizard fish was far up in a bay, the blue runners on south facing open ocean.

F6CCA670-C3AE-4048-88B0-13DF2460122D.jpeg

53 mins ago, Pescador710 said:

I added to my exotic list the past couple weeks. Lizard fish and baby blue runner.

The lizards were occasionally jumping out after bait in just inches of water. Caught on a small epoxy. The baby blue runners were schooled up and feeding like snapper blues. Caught a half dozen on an epoxy before leaving them alone.

The lizard fish was far up in a bay, the blue runners on south facing open ocean.

F6CCA670-C3AE-4048-88B0-13DF2460122D.jpeg

Did you find those in MA or RI?

Posted (edited) · Report post

Baby blue runners were in RI. They look like Albie candy to me but the funny fishing was awfully slow that day. Lizards were in MA

Edited by Pescador710

luck of the draw in my opinion, no professional here though. Oddly enough I have never seen nor caught a lizard fish and last weekend I caught 5 of them using small metals and small slow-pitch jigs while jigging for fluke boat fishing (ranging from 1/2-2oz). Nearshore waters in about 30ft depth, sandy bottom. Took a few days of googling to figure out what these were haha. 

my best guess would be to look for current driven waters with higher temps that these odd-balls flowed up through.