Retainer

Right around the corner

Rate this topic

53 posts in this topic

I have the guys trip starting the 19th. Hatteras village. I’ll update here with weather and fishing reports. I had a hitch installed on my new Outback for my rod/cooler rack. I may give the Subie a test run for my next trip in October.

On 9/9/2021 at 4:47 AM, Retainer said:

I have the guys trip starting the 19th. Hatteras village. I’ll update here with weather and fishing reports. I had a hitch installed on my new Outback for my rod/cooler rack. I may give the Subie a test run for my next trip in October.

Just got back from a long weekend there, stayed and fished Avon actually. Did all my fishing from the yak, but people I talked to, were already getting big drum in the surf, as well as pups. Went about 5 miles out and found a ton of bait in all sizes of bunker, mullet, shiners, etc. And with all that bait, there was speckled trout and puppy drum everywhere. I'll send you a pic of what the pups did to my popping cork and jig. Still not sure, if I'll be down next week or not. Will ,let ya know.  

Late report lol. No fish Monday, except a couple bluefish and pompano. Tuesday we went offshore in 5’-7’ every 5 seconds for 3 wahoo. Had a few bite below the hook but I don’t think it was worth the full day. Wednesday not much biting off Ramp 55. Thursday was a washout with weather and wind. The inshore trip was moved from Thursday to Friday morning. Wind honking out of NE 25-30 but captain said the drum bite would be on, so we fished behind Ocracoke along a very long sandbar. Connected with decent size red drum 27”-30” fish. A few bluefish mixed in. Later that day found them on the beach and got about 8 drum in the 22” to 30” class. Saturday we tried to repeat but just had bluefish.

Nice going retainer. Sounds like success on the boat and beach. In my opinion, this time of year is the best time to fish down there. Unfortunately for the first time in over a couple decades I wont be making an October trip due to moving into a new home recently.. But nice going on the catching!

3 mins ago, pilotman said:

Nice going retainer. Sounds like success on the boat and beach. In my opinion, this time of year is the best time to fish down there. Unfortunately for the first time in over a couple decades I wont be making an October trip due to moving into a new home recently.. But nice going on the catching!

I’m hoping to have good fishing this upcoming week. Headed down Saturday with my wife and oldest daughter. I may jump on another morning inshore trip, maybe my wife joins me, or my daughter or both! I’d like to get some speckled trout this time.

2 hours ago, Retainer said:

I’m hoping to have good fishing this upcoming week. Headed down Saturday with my wife and oldest daughter. I may jump on another morning inshore trip, maybe my wife joins me, or my daughter or both! I’d like to get some speckled trout this time.

I wish you luck. Nothing catches more trout than a popping cork! There were numerous 8-10 lb'rs caught this spring on them behind Brigands Bay in buxton/frisco area.

Leaving soon this morning for Trip #2. Weekend looks ugly but rest of the week looks good with North/NE winds. I’ll be fishing out of Hatteras Village. The new Outback will make its virgin trip down Pole Road . 20 lbs of psi and x mode gets me to the inlet.

Best of luck, Pat. I was gonna come down late tonight to fish Sunday, night and Monday. But weather conditions just aren't looking right as I wanted to take the yak out at least 1 time. Guess I'll just have to wait till the 22nd. Will be in Ocracoke for this trip with the yak and skiff to check the shoals/weed beds behind the Croke. As well as the surf. Keep us updated.  

We just arrived and the weather is brutal. Tropical system is hitting full on. Every warning flag is up on my WU app. Some flooding on the sides of 12 made it a bit hairy.  Same weather predicted for tomorrow but I hope it moves out quick. 8’-12’ surf. I wonder if a Sputnik would hold? Lol:wee:

Posted (edited) · Report post

Looks like I’ll be rod shopping tomorrow. I saw a nice setup at Rod n Gun before I left town a couple weeks ago. Think I’ll take a ride up to Red Drum, too. Assuming 12 is passable.

Edited by Retainer

1 hour ago, bstriping said:

Best of luck, Pat. I was gonna come down late tonight to fish Sunday, night and Monday. But weather conditions just aren't looking right as I wanted to take the yak out at least 1 time. Guess I'll just have to wait till the 22nd. Will be in Ocracoke for this trip with the yak and skiff to check the shoals/weed beds behind the Croke. As well as the surf. Keep us updated.  

I don’t blame you, this weather will mess up the fishing for a couple days. I’m hoping Pole Road is okay by Tuesday.

28 mins ago, Retainer said:

I don’t blame you, this weather will mess up the fishing for a couple days. I’m hoping Pole Road is okay by Tuesday.

Once this storm moves away, you will have a great weather week.

Pole Road is flooded out, I hit some tackle shops today doing some window shopping. Grabbed a pack of Zman trout paddletails and headed to the bridge near the red and white/medical center there in the village. I was tossing a rig out with the driving wind and rain, like a desperate man…..looking for a puppy. I connect with something, not sure until it was close…hah! A 10 inch flounder!

weather is hanging around but I’m hitting the beach for the incoming with a premeditated purpose to get on some puppies.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Weather was brutal this morning, another dose of heavy rain made 12 a bit of a puddle in the usual spots. I did not bother fishing this morning. Had some breakfast at Sonnys, hit the food lion then some t shirt shopping. 
Went down the beach to throw a gold sting silver and on my second cast my knot snapped at braid meet leader. Tied up a different rig but the rip made it useless. I stopped after 10 minutes. Drove to get some mullet for the morning. Weather is supposed to clear out but light NW winds with cloudy skies for Tuesday.

Edited by Retainer