Secret to casting 1/2 oz plastics with jig heads a mile

Rate this topic

My buddy let me in on a little secret. The best way to cast a 1/2 oz jig head with a plastic is on a 9 or 10' salmon rod. Rated no more than 1oz. I actually prefer them lighter, rated up to 3/4th of an oz. Use 15lb power pro and a 30lb liter and have fun with the stripers! I've caught them up to 23pounds no problem with this set up, and I outcast everyone around me

Most of my rods are 10 to 11 ft. salmon/steelheat type.  The heaviest bucktail I throw is 3/8 ounce.  So, I look for a lure rating up to 3/8 oz. They are often rated 1/8 to 3/8.  An 8 wt fly rod blank will be very similar.

My current favorite was advertised as a mooching center-pin reel.  I don't know anything about mooching but it casts really well. Not a mile though.  Inexpensive too.

Lamiglass HS1352L

HS1352L - Centerpin 11'3" 2PC 4-8lb 1/8-3/8oz (lamiglas.com)

Edited by oc1

1 hour ago, BeachBob said:

Yup, no big secret,  I use an Abu 5501 C3 on Shimano Scimitar 8'6" steelhead rods (but could be had up to 10') and rated to 1oz - $50.

My Ambassadeur  41, 51 etc are all on salmon/steelhead rods. I have a 11 foot salmon float rod with a 5601 C4 that I use for live lining mullet with a salmon slip float for fluke an stripers. Works very well too

I love my 8.5ft okuma steelhead rod for back bays. its rated 1/2-4oz (honestly anything over 1.5oz is very sketchy) but it does cast down to 1/4" jig heads with plastics no problem. it has handled low end slot size no problem, nice fun fight. I pair it with a small low profile baitcaster and 20lb braid. 

My secret is called

Okuma Rockaway SP, 8' 6" rated 1/4 to 5/8

Bad day fishing is still much better than good day work.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a much closer look at the American Indian.
                                                                                     - Henry Ford-

12 hours ago, ZAFisher said:

Drop the jig heads.

Scooby Through rig s a better caster than  a jig head + plastic.

Thank you Brandon for posting that video.

And thank you @scoobydoo for making it

Edited by Popasilov

Bad day fishing is still much better than good day work.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a much closer look at the American Indian.
                                                                                     - Henry Ford-

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 11/30/2021 at 5:23 PM, sytheteacher said:

It's identical to fishing ultra light.. BUT this will put a big strain on the fish causing you to fight the fish for a longer time.. 

true. I have the BH Suzuki Special 1002 1/2-2. It’s great for this purpose - up to 1 Oz jig & plastic or standard sized swimmers. But… I wouldn’t get a big girl beached very quickly. 

The other option is a casting egg or a heavy popping cork on a more traditional 1-4 ounce rated rod. You can do 1/8 to whatever weight jig/bucktail or fly that you think matches the hatch. 

I have been using a clouser style fly on a longer leader off the back of the egg in the surf. It settles to the sand, pop the egg to get it off the bottom, repeat. Haven’t hooked up yet but on those trips I got skunked with everything else too. 

Still, the heavier tackle plus egg can get a bigger fish to you faster - though less fun for schoolies. (And you can use one rod to throw your standard weight plugs and the light offerings with aid of the egg. More versatility. )

The casting egg is not great.  It puts your lure maybe 3' or less from the surface.  It deadens the action of whatever you have trailing behind it.  

8.5' steelhead rod (St. Croix Mad River... not a noodle rod), 20# braid with 3' of 20# mono/fluoro leader (tied direct - no swivel), 1/2 oz bucktail or jig&plastic.  That's the formula for fish in the 36" and under class.

6223bbd045bc7_Pic10bass.JPG.5cbb6db3506c08b64f8f05b9a4db9212.JPG