nsrescue1

2004 Ford escapw

16 posts in this topic

I never herd of one being used or ever seen one on the beach. First, it's fwd, and is only a modified car. Second I would check the model year ground clearance. I don't think they had an actual 4x4 system in them. A rear wheel drive Ford Explorer with 4x4 system was a much better truck for the beach. Someone will come along with more knowledge on a excape.

I had a 2004 and now have a 2001......both with 4x4 option.

it is true that they are all wheel drive even in 4x4 mode but i have had no issues on the sand with either one.they have a fair amount of ground clearance and are light enough to float over sand( to a degree)

just use common sense and you should be all right

plus im getting 22-24 mpg with v-6

Had an 04 limited.  Relatively trouble free.  Coil packs.  Had one plug blow out.  Regular maintenance stuff.  Was good car for us. Great in the snow with good tires.  Good ground clearance for the size of vehicle.  Air down to 15-18 and should be good.  I did bump up one tire size just because I'm a redneck.  Probably didn't need to.  Took that thing in several places it had no place being in.  

Edited by Stryper Snyper

Just an update......since last post i’ve had it on brigantine,lbi and seaside park.....handled them all well.

20lbs in tires and i have not even put it in 4x4 most of the time

Just now, FISH BUCKET said:

another update........just spent a week in obx......drove my escape all over the beaches including oracoke island.........no problems at all

what year is it

Older ones like the 01' and 04' are better than newer models, except for the gas mileage. The trannys in the newer ones just make them sip gas instead of gulp it. just air down, 20PSI still puts a terrible strain on the engine and trans, 15 is good, 12 is great.

I would say it depends on the beach. My buddy had an early 2000's Escape and it had a hard time climbing dunes with loose sand to get on the beach. We ended up pushing it more than once.  It's a wannabe 4x4, but is really AWD.

17 hours ago, FISH BUCKET said:

On the beaches i fish riding on dunes is not permitted.

on loose sand going uphill is a problem for any vehicle....

I think he meant the access points.  Lots of them have a hill involved and that is where vehicles get stuck

Air down is the solution

On 11/6/2021 at 9:31 PM, FISH BUCKET said:

Really?

i run 20 and have no trans issues.....

Didn't say you'll have trans problems, said it puts  more of a strain on it which could cause issues. If your already dropping to 20 or 18, may as well drop it down to 15, but you won't because your tranny hasn't had any problems. It is like you walking in sand or on asphalt, you can still get there but its easier on the hard surface and your heart isn't jumping out of your chest and your breathing like a rhino.

Almost flat bald tires work best on the beach, its all about  surface contact and not digging in.

Live and learn or live and don't.

2 hours ago, Captain Ahab said:

I think he meant the access points.  Lots of them have a hill involved and that is where vehicles get stuck

Air down is the solution

^^^ Correct, I meant access points. However, we couldn't get his up even airing down without extra manpower. At the time I had a Chevy Tracker that never had problems getting on or off the beaches. But, I specifically chose it because it was cheap and had true 4X4.