srm413

Scott Sector Rods?

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

i have another thread going where i am considering a Loomis NRX S + 8 weight for bonefish and medium size stripers.  i hear good things about the Scott Sector.  Any experience?

I've cast all of the sector models up to 11wt and the NRX+ up to 11wt.  For bonefish the sector will be perfect, in my opinion.  It's accurate, has a softer tip for for in close casts, and is a beautiful rod.  The NRX, to me, tracks well and is great for distance.  Better for stripers I guess.  I've recently been leaning towards the Sector.  It just feels great in my hands and fits me perfectly.

With that, I own the NRX+ in a 10wt along with the Asquith and Orvis H3.  I mostly fish in the NE so I picked rods that were best with big flies in the wind.

I hope this helps a little bit.

ive fished the short 8wt sector and its a great rod.  really nice swing weight and i dont think im losing any casting distance because of the shorter rod length.  its pretty easy casting and just a great rod to fish.  ive only fished it from a boat so i cant tell you whether or not the shorter length will matter or not casting from shore or wading.

I have an 8wt Sector and am very impressed.  Great feel and control when casting.  It definitely rewards smoothness over power.  If you rush or over power your casts then it can feel mushy.   No problem throwing distance or driving stuff into the wind, however, provided you let the rod do its thing.  Very nice in close which is a huge plus when sight fishing.  Does best with long head true to weight lines.  If you plan to use a short head overweighted line you'll likely be happier with a stiffer rod.      

On 9/9/2021 at 4:49 PM, numbskull said:

I have an 8wt Sector and am very impressed.  Great feel and control when casting.  It definitely rewards smoothness over power.  If you rush or over power your casts then it can feel mushy.   No problem throwing distance or driving stuff into the wind, however, provided you let the rod do its thing.  Very nice in close which is a huge plus when sight fishing.  Does best with long head true to weight lines.  If you plan to use a short head overweighted line you'll likely be happier with a stiffer rod.      

Just curious with what intermediate line you use? I like what I use, Rio Coastal quick shooter, but your comment of the Long head true to weight lines intrigues me.

3 hours ago, FlyfishCT87 said:

Just curious with what intermediate line you use? I like what I use, Rio Coastal quick shooter, but your comment of the Long head true to weight lines intrigues me.

The Airflo Cold water ridge intermediate striper line has a 40' head that is true to weight.

SA makes a new line, the Sonar Camo Intermediate that has a 50+ foot head (that uses their infinity taper so it is 1/2 wt over) that I've not yet tried.  I also like the SA Saltwater tapers in both floating and intermediate (but these are tropical lines)........and use them as rated or an a rod 1 wt heavier (an 8wt line with 9wt rod).   

If you are use to a short heavily overweighted line like the QS you might be disappointed trying long headed true to weight lines.  They are much less forgiving of casting faults but also offer much better control (and distance in many situations).