Skunkoff

Dilemma

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Skunkoff said:

One of my FW kayak put-ins got roped off with "private property" signs last year, I assume because of dirt bag slobs leaving crap everywhere.  

My dilemma is that there is one section (path) between the twine and stakes leading to the lake.  It almost looks like it was left there intentionally but I can't be certain.  There are no "no parking" signs on the side of the road (they don't own the road).  I'm wondering if I should try fishing there again.  That path to me is only an entry/exit and load/unload point for me.  It's a great place to fish with no official boat launch (less pressure).

What would y'all do?

Curious. Are you parking on the road where the no parking signs are? What did you mean by “they don’t own the road”? 

OnX isn’t free. Knocking on a door is. Asking for forgiveness doesn’t work either since you’re already know the answer. Not worth it in my IMHO, but there’s guys that don’t mind to catch the “wrong” fish and complain when the rules get tighter. 

1 hour ago, Skunkoff said:

Sounds cool.  Is it free?

No but I bet someone you know has it. As a previous poster stated a knock might be the easiest first step.  

1 hour ago, redfin said:

Curious. Are you parking on the road where the no parking signs are? What did you mean by “they don’t own the road”? 

No.  There are no "no parking" signs.  Access used to be public.  People still park on the side of the road.  There's a bridge too, so people park and fish off the bridge as well.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Google search "Town Name GIS".  If the town has a GIS database, you should be able to either navigate by map to the location or search by street.  This will tell you the owners name.  Maybe you get lucky and it's a town ROW or maybe you find out the owners name and address.  Then knock on the door with a $20 bottle of wine and ask permission.

Edited by MikeK

Posted (edited) · Report post

In my parts the GIS maps or tax parcel viewers are by county not by town. So try a google search of your county name + GIS. You can also try tax parcel and flood plain viewer but it’s the same thing as GIS. 

I use it all the time and I know of county property (public property) that has been posted no trespassing by a guy who has a very small corner property that borders the county property. The county property has a WW creek that runs through it. A very good WW creek to boot. He has essentially annexed public property as his own. Well his own and mine. I “trespass” all the time and have never been confronted. His secret is safe with me though until he tries to kick me off.  Some creek bottoms are public property and some are privately owned. This is also shown through GIS mapping. No need to pay for an app when the info is free to get on the web. If your county does not have their parcel mapping on the inter web you can simply go to your county seat and check the tax parcel maps in person. It’s all public record. 

if it is private property then there’s no dilemma at all. Private property rights have to be respected 100% of the time. 

Edited by poopdeck

5 hours ago, Skunkoff said:

Is that everywhere?  Seems like an old colonial law.  Like why you still can't buy alcohol on Sundays in CT.

You can buy alcohol on Sundays, I bought two six packs of Ballantine ale last Sunday.

Stores are open till 5:00 I believe.

HH

3 hours ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

You can buy alcohol on Sundays, I bought two six packs of Ballantine ale last Sunday.

Stores are open till 5:00 I believe.

HH

Oh yeah, you're right.  I remember when it couldn't.  I've lived in ME for the last 20+ years lol.

7 hours ago, poopdeck said:
7 hours ago, poopdeck said:

I know of county property (public property) that has been posted no trespassing by a guy  He has essentially annexed public property as his own. Well his own and mine. I “trespass” all the time and have never been confronted. His secret is safe with me though until he tries to kick me off. 

Have a spot that is similar. Guy even put up a fence with a gate that can only be opened from the inside, had metal no trespassing signs made with a bogus “by order of”.

Thing is I can walk around the fence so technically I’m trespassing for two steps.
Been fishing this spot for 2 decades and have never had an altercation with the home owner. He hasn’t even lived there that long. His lie keeps people out which is a good thing for me. Hope it stays this way.
If it dose come to it, I have educated my self to call out the BS.

The area I know the guy posted it as a “game refuge” that is “patrolled” and violators are subject to arrest under penal code section 901??  Funny thing is PA replaced the penal codes with the crimes code over 50 years ago. 

I don’t believe this problem to be rampant as I check the validity of signage routinely when I find places that interests me. There is a lot of public property out there that is unmarked because local governments have been snapping up parcels left and right to preserve open space. 

14 hours ago, Skunkoff said:

Is that everywhere?  Seems like an old colonial law.  Like why you still can't buy alcohol on Sundays in CT.

It's scattered around a lot of different places, and takes different forms.

There are towns on Long Island (NY) where colonial grants permit the towns to decide who may or may not fish there (Southampton, for example, limits fishing in its fresh waters to residents or those hring a resident guide), claim exemption from state fish and game laws, etc.  Other grants, in different places, give rights to bay bottom and can allow landowners to prohibit anchoring or wading close to shore; while the common law generally permits access to the beach below the high tide line.  The extent of such right is still contested; for example, a trial court judge found that Southampton residents couldn't be compelled to purchase a saltwater fishing license due to a colonial era grant, while an appellate court found that Huntington had no right to regulate menhaden harvest, despite a different colonial grant, because the state had the sole rite to manage migratory fish of the sea.

On the Salmon River, in upstate New York, the public has a right to navigate the river, but does not have the right to fish off private properties, because the colonial grants included fishing rights, but also recognized the right to traverse the river.

It can get complicated.

17 hours ago, Skunkoff said:

One of my FW kayak put-ins got roped off with "private property" signs last year, I assume because of dirt bag slobs leaving crap everywhere.  

My dilemma is that there is one section (path) between the twine and stakes leading to the lake.  It almost looks like it was left there intentionally but I can't be certain.  There are no "no parking" signs on the side of the road (they don't own the road).  I'm wondering if I should try fishing there again.  That path to me is only an entry/exit and load/unload point for me.  It's a great place to fish with no official boat launch (less pressure).

What would y'all do?

Property map?  

Keep it cleaner than you found it and go fishing.   

14 hours ago, dj1975232 said:

If you or anyone you know hunts and has the onX app check it out. .....One of the features is it shows property lines as well as who the owner is.  

Thats very cool.  Thanks for posting.

Issue resolved!  Knocked on his door and asked about launching the kayak. 

Super nice guy!  We shot the $hit for about a half hour and he gave me permission to launch from is back yard any time I want (he didn't want to grant permission to launch from the actual spot, because if people see me parked there, then...).  He said the lake belongs to the people of Maine and it broke his heart to have to post signs, but he was sick and tired of finding trash everywhere.  I told him I would've done the same thing.

I offered money and for him to take a picture of my liscence plate and he said "no, not necessary, I'll know who you are".

Once I take advantage of this awesome privilege, I'll be sure to leave a note on my dash thanking him once again with my phone number.  I'm sure it'll feel a bit awkward to me when I park on his land to fish.

Sometimes it's a nice surprise finding good people.