Skunkoff

Dilemma

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

One of my FW kayak put-ins got roped off with "private property" signs last year, I assume because of dirt bag slobs leaving crap everywhere.  

My dilemma is that there is one section (path) between the twine and stakes leading to the lake.  It almost looks like it was left there intentionally but I can't be certain.  There are no "no parking" signs on the side of the road (they don't own the road).  I'm wondering if I should try fishing there again.  That path to me is only an entry/exit and load/unload point for me.  It's a great place to fish with no official boat launch (less pressure).

What would y'all do?

I'd ask around the lake to see if anybody knows who owns it or what the situation is before some crazy man come outside shooting at you, crazy things have happened before.

HH

Google land usage for your area. You might be able to determine who owns the lot or who doesn’t. You might have to make a trip to town or village hall to look it up.

If it is not owned by the neighbor or a private entity then the sign is bogus.

Many home owners put up bogus signs to keep you out. 
Also, many municipalities require a permit to post signs, like no parking etc.

You’re municipality’s GIS data might tell you everything. We have an area here that’s still “king’s grant”. You can float through it, but don’t even think about getting out. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Never heard of king's grant. 

When I kayak, I need to scope out parking spots or pit stops.  Whether it's my back, ass or good ol' #1.

Edited by Skunkoff

26 mins ago, Danthe said:

You’re municipality’s GIS data might tell you everything. We have an area here that’s still “king’s grant”. You can float through it, but don’t even think about getting out. 

Yup ..  ran into that.  Fishing a trout stream in pa.   SOB put cables across the creek at his property line to keep people out.   He gave me schidt and threatened me.  I was in the creek not on his land.  Fish po-po said he had right to put the cable up but as long as my feet didn't touch bottom I was good.

It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.  The King's Grant thing always complicates issues.  Go with the spirit of the Coastal Zone Management Act of 1972.

1 hour ago, Skunkoff said:

Never heard of king's grant. 

When I kayak, I need to scope out parking spots or pit stops.  Whether it's my back, ass or good ol' #1.

Land given by the king, way back when. I’d never heard of it either, but it’s the real deal. 

4 mins ago, Danthe said:

Land given by the king, way back when. I’d never heard of it either, but it’s the real deal. 

Is that everywhere?  Seems like an old colonial law.  Like why you still can't buy alcohol on Sundays in CT.

1 min ago, oc1 said:

It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.  The King's Grant thing always complicates issues.  Go with the spirit of the Coastal Zone Management Act of 1972.

My brother found some rather choice turkey hunting in WA. Went to the landowner (dressed like a gentleman, not in camp) and showed him a map of some areas that were near public access that would like permission to hunt, and only the last few days of the season. 

He connected with quite a nice bird. Took the property owners banana bread to show his appreciation. The next year the owner asked HIM if he’d like to come back. 

Funny how kindness and respect works. 

Just now, Skunkoff said:

Is that everywhere?  Seems like an old colonial law.  Like why you still can't buy alcohol on Sundays in CT.

I only know of it on a particular stretch of water, but I’m sure there’s more 

Posted (edited) · Report post

My 1st attempt will be to find out the owner.  I've tempted to rely on the forgiveness aspect, but you never know.

I'd pay a small fee, I like that lake enough. 

Although paying to fish just downright sucks!

Edited by Skunkoff

If you or anyone you know hunts and has the onX app check it out.  I use it for hunting.  One of the features is it shows property lines as well as who the owner is.