7nBait

Penn spinning reel..

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, CJS said:

Sounds like a good reason not to buy one to me. 

Does it matter whether the min drag is 1/4 lb vs 1/2 to 1 lb of minimum drag. No one fishes like that so actually no effect in 99.99% of any fishing related situation. To each their own, but that would be the last reason I would consider when deciding on a reel purchase. Useful information to be sure that it’s normal for that particular reel but imo unimportant for my Reel consideration. 

I felt the drags were tight till I used the Slammer 6500. I use it for soaking cut bait manly for Blues and puppy drum. After I cast the bait, I loosen the drag whilre rod is in holder. I like it now because it lets the fish run, but you don't have to worry about a big fish causing a birds nest on the spinner.  Taking to much line before you can adjust it.

3 hours ago, JoelJ said:

I dunno and I don't care . . . besides why is that so important . . . the drag(s) have been smooth and consistent from the very first run until just last Saturday :wee: . . . they have served me well all these years which is all that matters to me :rav:. . . 

Drag is pretty important. If something feels wrong on a new reel that isn’t something you should work through. Sounds like the drags  were right on yours, that’s good. 

It seemed like 7nBait was having an issue with his out of the box that he didn’t think was normal. I was just curious if yours had a period where you felt like the drags were tight when you first got them. Doesn’t seem like that is the case for you. 

4 hours ago, spinr0k said:

All this talk about drag I guess no one has tried the Live Liner feature yet.

. . . isn't free-spool the "Live Liner feature" ???  :confused: . . . what does it have to do with drag? :laugh: . . .

. . . and yes, have tried "live liner" and sold all of them (Thunnus) . . . prefer to use conventional for bait-and-wait . . .

as stated . . . owned . . . and sold all of them preferring conventional for bait-n-wait fishing . . . live liners have separate drag settings for the live liner feature and reel itself . . .  the live liner feature drag setting you can set as light or as heavy as you wish depending on various factors . . . when I was using them I set it tight enough to hold my offerings in place without taking more line but still light enough for the fish to be able to take and run with it a bit before setting the hook . . . and I always use a fish-finder rig with it . . . I find it has minimal if any practical use nowadays with circle hooks mandated for live and/or cut bait . . . I find fish hooks themselves with circles hence not much "bow to the cow" ritual before crossing their eyes (the part I miss most using circles) . . .

On 9/15/2021 at 11:52 AM, spinr0k said:

Has anyone tried the live liner feature yet on the spinfishers?  Seems like a cool idea but wonder how practical it is in real life,  I would like not having to fumble with the drag while trying to reel.

It is practical for soaking bait or fishing off a boat.  It has its own separate drag when it's engaged.

When you hook a fish and turn the handle it automatically disengages the live liner and your spool drag picks back up.

All my spinners when I use them on the beach are the old shimano 6500 bait runners.  Off the boat we have the spinfishers with rhe live liner on them.

Never had issues fumbling with drags on either while fighting a fish

Edited by DerrickT