7nBait

Penn spinning reel..

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Hi,

I need to pick up another reel that rivals the Penn 550ss which I still have. I'd like to stay in the Penn family. Its for a 2nd 8-9ft. spinning rod for saltwater.

Some suggestions from a tackle shop are the Slammer 3 and Spin Fisher.

Anyone have any experience with either of these 2 newer reels?

IMG_20210906_181833587.jpg

I have a Spin fisher V and a VI, and a new Slammer 6500, I love them. They are easy to service, tough, and cast very well. The VI is water resistant, the Slammer can take a good dunk and not leak. I will be moving all my reels to these model's when I need to. 95 % of my reels are Penns. If you use braid, I'd go with a 3500 series for a 8' or 9' rod. I use 4500 series , but a 3500 would be great for you.

Also have the Penn Slammer III 4500 and very pleased with it.  Definitely a solid smooth reel I use with a 9' rod.  Have gotten it wet, not dunked and it seems fine.  As Hunter 123 stated, could probably get away with the 3500 series on a 8'-9' rod, but overall very happy with this reel. 

The Penn Slammer IV was just recently released but looks like limited stock/waiting list to get one,  not sure if this could be an option for you.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

Went with the Penn Slammer lll 4500. Smooth reel. Should be for the price.

Question: The drag is really tight even with the spool tension dial completely loose. 

Is this normal or will the drag soften ( searching for words ) over time. 

Edited by 7nBait

I have a Slammer 3 3500 which is hands down my favorite reel to use from my Kayak on a 6'6 rod. I also just picked up a Slammer 3 4500 for my 9 ft St. Croix Triumph Travel rod which I just used last weekend in New England from the shore for the 1st time and it balance very well and holds over 300 yards of 20 lb. braid.  I absolutely love the quality and performance of both of my Penn Slammer 3's.

12 hours ago, 7nBait said:

Went with the Penn Slammer lll 4500. Smooth reel. Should be for the price.

Question: The drag is really tight even with the spool tension dial completely loose. 

Is this normal or will the drag soften ( searching for words ) over time. 

I don’t run Penn spinners so take my advice for what it’s worth. 

You shouldn’t have to break in a reel drag. It should be smooth from the start. It might loosen up and lose some top end over time, but it should work through the full drag range out of the box regardless of the drag material. I would not keep a reel that was tight if replacing it was a possibility.

Edited by CJS

1 hour ago, CJS said:

I don’t run Penn spinners so take my advice for what it’s worth. 

You shouldn’t have to break in a reel drag. It should be smooth from the start. It might loosen up and lose some top end over time, but it should work through the full drag range out of the box regardless of the drag material. I would not keep a reel that was tight if replacing it was a possibility.

The drag Is fine, but the slammers duradrag “system” consists of a standard drag stack and a larger drag washer under the spool. Basically it has dual drags. The Bottom drag produces a higher minimum drag than people expect even with the drag knob fully loosened due to its design. 

I believe Penn worked on decreasing this effect on the new Slammer 4. 

Has anyone tried the live liner feature yet on the spinfishers?  Seems like a cool idea but wonder how practical it is in real life,  I would like not having to fumble with the drag while trying to reel.

1 hour ago, JoelJ said:

. . . I dunno . . . my Slammers 35 45 55 have served me well . . . 4 years and counting . . .

Were the drags on yours right out of the box?

Edited by CJS

I dunno and I don't care . . . besides why is that so important . . . the drag(s) have been smooth and consistent from the very first run until just last Saturday :wee: . . . they have served me well all these years which is all that matters to me :rav:. . .