KarpsnKatz

How to end an outing in less than a second

Rate this topic

60 posts in this topic

On 9/6/2021 at 10:23 PM, TheSuperApe said:

Because they are unwilling to go through the pain of learning and failure?? I throw a baitcaster at night all the time. Yes it took many failures

It’s mostly a time thing. Casting is the most basic of things to master, and with a spinning reel you can master trajectory and placement. Some of us focus our efforts on interpreting the weather or reading the beach. I’m a better weatherman than my meteorologist friend. Probably wouldn’t be now if I had to pause to learn casting for 6 months.

9 hours ago, SubRosa87 said:

It’s mostly a time thing. Casting is the most basic of things to master, and with a spinning reel you can master trajectory and placement. Some of us focus our efforts on interpreting the weather or reading the beach. I’m a better weatherman than my meteorologist friend. Probably wouldn’t be now if I had to pause to learn casting for 6 months.

LOL :point:

Quick without using Google tell me about CAPE values. 

Sorry years back I didn't learn to cast one of those contraptions....always wanted to... but everytime I tried, I couldn't get past the first cast / Blow-up.....still on my wish list.

On 9/6/2021 at 6:48 PM, KarpsnKatz said:

Had to scratch the itch, and being most of my freshwater spots are underwater for the foreseeable future, I decided to hit the surf late Saturday night. First two casts were flawless. Third cast, however, atomic meltdown. Two things learned:

1) If you don't feel comfortable, don't make the cast.

2) Bring a back up reel.

2536F80C-C987-411B-A176-C200558650C7.jpeg

Don't feel bad happens to the best of us I've been casting these damn things for 25 years and I hit blow ups too but I have over the last few years actually learned to make a smooth cast and not try to send it over the horizon seems to work, as crazy Alberto told me a smooth cast is a good cast!

HH

As mentioned repeatedly ; it happens to the best.

The topic is a classic and I will repost what I wrote in this forum years ago:

That picture the OP posted brings back good memories.

A distant cast with a conventional in the right conditions of lure weight-rod-line and wind is a beautiful smooth performance of synchronization and quiet enjoyable when well achieved. I enjoy doing it or seeing it done by others.

But the final purpose of our activity is to catch fish, and for practical reasons, like using light lures in the 0.5 Oz range and the positioning of the reel on top of rod  which needs balancing with grip, or the use of thumb on non level wind and the fact that a backlash is lurking at the corner of each cast  in case of non concentration, made me simply give up, and after collecting the best available conventional reels of the moment, ABU/ Daiwa mag-Penn, I just returned to my original habit with spinning reels, more over with the appearance of braid.

Not so long ago I was fishing at the end of a pier, I had three rods with spinning reels, one was for the bait fish, the other was rigged with a live bait fish hoping for the bite, and the third was for casting lures.

Comes a new angler/stranger with two casting rods with conventional red Abu reels and rapala type lures. 

We did the cordial distant greetings as two strangers approaching each other. I said to my self respect to this guy, he must be of some experience since casting with this type of reels.

I was also interested in seeing how far he can reach with his reels compared to mine if we used the same lure.

30-40 mins later I check him out to see how he is doing and I see him sitting on the ground with the rod between his legs and line in water while trying to untangle a respectable sized bird nest, if not a condor nest.

I looked the other way around to preserve his pride, and felt happy that I had put that kind of reel to retirement and returned to spinners, which never gave me that kind of head ache.

Nevertheless, I put my hat up and respect for those who master and are willing to put up with casting conventionnals. :howdy:

2 hours ago, carangua said:

As mentioned repeatedly ; it happens to the best.

The topic is a classic and I will repost what I wrote in this forum years ago:

That picture the OP posted brings back good memories.

A distant cast with a conventional in the right conditions of lure weight-rod-line and wind is a beautiful smooth performance of synchronization and quiet enjoyable when well achieved. I enjoy doing it or seeing it done by others.

But the final purpose of our activity is to catch fish, and for practical reasons, like using light lures in the 0.5 Oz range and the positioning of the reel on top of rod  which needs balancing with grip, or the use of thumb on non level wind and the fact that a backlash is lurking at the corner of each cast  in case of non concentration, made me simply give up, and after collecting the best available conventional reels of the moment, ABU/ Daiwa mag-Penn, I just returned to my original habit with spinning reels, more over with the appearance of braid.

Not so long ago I was fishing at the end of a pier, I had three rods with spinning reels, one was for the bait fish, the other was rigged with a live bait fish hoping for the bite, and the third was for casting lures.

Comes a new angler/stranger with two casting rods with conventional red Abu reels and rapala type lures. 

We did the cordial distant greetings as two strangers approaching each other. I said to my self respect to this guy, he must be of some experience since casting with this type of reels.

I was also interested in seeing how far he can reach with his reels compared to mine if we used the same lure.

30-40 mins later I check him out to see how he is doing and I see him sitting on the ground with the rod between his legs and line in water while trying to untangle a respectable sized bird nest, if not a condor nest.

I looked the other way around to preserve his pride, and felt happy that I had put that kind of reel to retirement and returned to spinners, which never gave me that kind of head ache.

Nevertheless, I put my hat up and respect for those who master and are willing to put up with casting conventionnals. :howdy:

Very well written, I like that 

I actually gave up on spinning reels a long time ago just don't dig them at all.

I don't use any lures under 5/8,for that kinda weight, I use my light rigs.

HH

On 9/6/2021 at 6:48 PM, KarpsnKatz said:

Had to scratch the itch, and being most of my freshwater spots are underwater for the foreseeable future, I decided to hit the surf late Saturday night. First two casts were flawless. Third cast, however, atomic meltdown. Two things learned:

1) If you don't feel comfortable, don't make the cast.

2) Bring a back up reel.

2536F80C-C987-411B-A176-C200558650C7.jpeg

PFFFT, I've seen better with braid :laugh:

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 hours ago, TheSuperApe said:

LOL :point:

Quick without using Google tell me about CAPE values. 

Quick, tell me why that matters. 
this reminds me of a debate I had with the leader of a video gaming group. We used to play this high tech military simulation game. Complicated stuff. When someone is shot in game you have to give them morphine and all that. That level of realism. I was a helicopter pilot. The leader says I need to purchase a piece of $300 hardware, says it’ll make me from a good pilot into a great one. My argument was that a great pilot gets the guys in, provides cover, gets them out. Safely, without taking fire, and as quietly as possible. I routinely made about 250 drops. All textbook execution. Five days later, I am still taken off of the pilot role because I didn’t have this $300 piece of crap hardware. 
do you see my point? If I can catch fish consistently, predict the weather accurately, and cast accurately, what does it matter? I don’t have the time to learn a bait caster like I didn’t want to shell out $300 for a head tracking software that only works half the time.

Edited by SubRosa87

3 hours ago, carangua said:

But the final purpose of our activity is to catch fish, and for practical reasons, like using light lures in the 0.5 Oz range and the positioning of the reel on top of rod  which needs balancing with grip, or the use of thumb on non level wind and the fact that a backlash is lurking at the corner of each cast  

Exactly. I am frequently perplexed at why you’d want to make this stuff harder. Terrible access, $300 fishing permits for a town the size of my backyard, pounding surf and wind and rain. Not to mention the constant threat of death on the rocks. Yet they want to take a piece of unreliable equipment with them into these conditions?

1 hour ago, SubRosa87 said:

Quick, tell me why that matters. 
this reminds me of a debate I had with the leader of a video gaming group. We used to play this high tech military simulation game. Complicated stuff. When someone is shot in game you have to give them morphine and all that. That level of realism. I was a helicopter pilot. The leader says I need to purchase a piece of $300 hardware, says it’ll make me from a good pilot into a great one. My argument was that a great pilot gets the guys in, provides cover, gets them out. Safely, without taking fire, and as quietly as possible. I routinely made about 250 drops. All textbook execution. Five days later, I am still taken off of the pilot role because I didn’t have this $300 piece of crap hardware. 
do you see my point? If I can catch fish consistently, predict the weather accurately, and cast accurately, what does it matter? I don’t have the time to learn a bait caster like I didn’t want to shell out $300 for a head tracking software that only works half the time.

It matters because you come in here bragging about how proffecient at something you are so I wanted to test your knowledge. I'm a weather nerd and a fishing nerd I can talk about either all day with joy. 

And CAPE values are a very good piece of info to look at when determining the likelihood of thunderstorms, their intensity, and also the possibility of microbursts. Read up while learning to use your thumb to cast. Knowledge is power.

5 hours ago, SubRosa87 said:

Exactly. I am frequently perplexed at why you’d want to make this stuff harder. Terrible access, $300 fishing permits for a town the size of my backyard, pounding surf and wind and rain. Not to mention the constant threat of death on the rocks. Yet they want to take a piece of unreliable equipment with them into these conditions?

It's not the equipment that is necessarily unreliable, as much as the user is occasionally unreliable. I was brought up on spinning gear, and there certainly is an art to making quality casts with that gear as well. One day I saw some old newsreel footage of old timers throwing conventionals in Montauk, and I believe, North Carolina. It dawned on me that the art of throwing a conventional set up, was becoming a lost art in itself. I think it's pretty cool to be able to fish like those guys did.

cleaning up stuff and found an old pic.

back when one tinkers and throws any reel for the hell of it.

cause boat reels always had more power then surf reels.

8b65acff_vbattach127663.jpg

8 hours ago, ooeric said:

cleaning up stuff and found an old pic.

back when one tinkers and throws any reel for the hell of it.

cause boat reels always had more power then surf reels.

8b65acff_vbattach127663.jpg

Ouch!

But honestly throwing casters with no brakes is easy.  That pic earlier 12 years ago was with a newell.  This nest didnt happen from the actually cast out. My shock leader snapped on release.  Otherwise it wouldnt blow up like that at that speed.

Any reel that has a good beefy lip is easy. 

Position yourself firmly.  Wind up rod. Power the cast.  Just keep your thumb on top of the lip immediately after release. Do not touch the line.  Your thumb will lift coils up.

It hurts distance a little bit when the sinker is trying to hit the apex of the arc up. But you can usually let thumb off when sinker arcs back down and spool is spinning slow enough already until landing. 

When people tell me it's difficult.. its not, they just didn't try hard enough. :wee::wee: 

Try learning to cast 50-80lb mono before doing 15lb or braid...saves alot of headache.