KarpsnKatz

How to end an outing in less than a second

Rate this topic

60 posts in this topic

On 9/6/2021 at 6:48 PM, KarpsnKatz said:

 

2536F80C-C987-411B-A176-C200558650C7.jpeg

 

 

Honestly... a blow up like that is so picture worthy... how could you dare think of fixing on the spot and depriving us the joy of such a photo.

 

 

Sweet reel thou...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 mins ago, baldadonis2002 said:

 

 

Honestly... a blow up like that is so picture worthy... how could you dare think of fixing on the spot and depriving us the joy of such a photo.

 

 

Sweet reel thou...

 

 

I'm here to give.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've done that. Calcutta 700s is what I used.  I got better but still didn't enjoy using conventional knowing I might ruin my day any cast.  Only used it for a year or two on and off and been sitting in my closet for a dozen years. I probably should sell it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not so easy in the dark but with mono of 20lbs or better not as hard as you think to straighten that out. Pull until it stops then thumb the spool hard and make a few cranks. Now pull what you just freed up and repeat the process , Thumbing hard against cranking continually pushes the overrun forward until it's gone. Don't ask how I know, been there done that many years ago when trying to throw 8oz and a bunker chunk over the bar with an old Squidder. Before we had the luxury of magnetic spool braking of course!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This used to happen to me quite a bit.  I would make a few casts flawlessly and then I would begin to lose focus.  Next few casts, a little harder. More distance.  Push harder, boom.  Next thing you know you're picking out a birds nest.  Happened so many times I could probably pick that out for you blindfolded.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ugh! Sorry it killed your outing. From my teen years I have been a maniac on extra spools and extra reels. And you know for me anyway since i carry the extra stuff i almost never need it. Lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KarpsnKatz said:

I'm currently taking a crash course in advanced nest picking. Whats in the picture is about half as small as it originally was.

Ill give you something to practice on. Spend an entire night on it. Haha. 

 

Distance and tournament casters will know these types of nests.  About quarter to half inchof line fluff. The remaining good line is about half spool down. The sinker, leader and about 100m line has sailed about off to 300yards away 

16310612403516575048432771051133.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 40shades-of-blue said:

I've done that. Calcutta 700s is what I used.  I got better but still didn't enjoy using conventional knowing I might ruin my day any cast.  Only used it for a year or two on and off and been sitting in my closet for a dozen years. I probably should sell it.

I'd hang on to it. Even if it's not necessarily your thing, they're still fun to play with now and then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, beached again said:

This used to happen to me quite a bit.  I would make a few casts flawlessly and then I would begin to lose focus.  Next few casts, a little harder. More distance.  Push harder, boom.  Next thing you know you're picking out a birds nest.  Happened so many times I could probably pick that out for you blindfolded.  

 

34 mins ago, Aaron Barmmer said:

Come on bro.  Got to put that thumb to work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

It makes you realize the importance of mechanics when it comes to making a cast. When I went to make that cast, I didn't feel comfortable from the start. Instead of stepping back and readjusting, I went ahead with it. But like the old cliche goes, practice makes perfect. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 mins ago, KarpsnKatz said:

 

It makes you realize the importance of mechanics when it comes to making a cast. When I went to make that cast, I didn't feel comfortable from the start. Instead of stepping back and readjusting, I went ahead with it. But like the old cliche goes, practice makes perfect. 

Sometimes when you release on a bad cast you just got to thumb the **** out of it to minimize the damage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Those CT-like open frames make picking out a backlash much easier.

 

I strip line off the reel until there is a piece of line coming from the front, wrapping around the line and then heading back to the front.  Grab that piece and move the spool forward and backward until you feel something come loose.  Then go back to stripping line off the reel.

 

Yeah, I know.  Need a picture.

Edited by oc1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ever see the Youtube channel  ' Beach Bomber Fishing ' he does something funky with a piece of surgical tube and exclusively fishes conventional reels.

 

Not sure if it helps your cause.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, baldadonis2002 said:

Ever see the Youtube channel  ' Beach Bomber Fishing ' he does something funky with a piece of surgical tube and exclusively fishes conventional reels.

 

Not sure if it helps your cause.

The surgical tube is an interesting idea. The one thing I did realize watching the videos, is I make the unconscious mistake of trying to cast like it's a spinning outfit. Thanks for the heads up on the videos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.