KarpsnKatz

How to end an outing in less than a second

Rate this topic

60 posts in this topic

Had to scratch the itch, and being most of my freshwater spots are underwater for the foreseeable future, I decided to hit the surf late Saturday night. First two casts were flawless. Third cast, however, atomic meltdown. Two things learned:

1) If you don't feel comfortable, don't make the cast.

2) Bring a back up reel.

2536F80C-C987-411B-A176-C200558650C7.jpeg

Try a piece of electrical tape across the spool at the end of your longest cast, and the wind it back on. Will help eliminate those blowups.

Funny.  I gave up conventional off the beach after a few of those!

I got one today on my spinning reel with 10 lb braid.  Said f-it, cut it out, uni-uni, on my way.

Haha,

took my new bfs reel out for a weekend trip. First two days flawless, next morning saw a bunch of rolling at sunrise got excited, caught some grass on the back cast.  Went home…..

I feel the pain

56 mins ago, KarpsnKatz said:

Had to scratch the itch, and being most of my freshwater spots are underwater for the foreseeable future, I decided to hit the surf late Saturday night. First two casts were flawless. Third cast, however, atomic meltdown. Two things learned:

1) If you don't feel comfortable, don't make the cast.

2) Bring a back up reel.

You didn’t have a knife?

39 mins ago, MakoMike said:

You didn’t have a knife?

Yeah, I had a Knife. But it was dark and late, plus I've never had a blowup of this caliber before. So I figured I'd bring it home and dissect the backlash like a scientist, to better see where to start cutting.

48 mins ago, G8trwood said:

Haha,

took my new bfs reel out for a weekend trip. First two days flawless, next morning saw a bunch of rolling at sunrise got excited, caught some grass on the back cast.  Went home…..

I feel the pain

I'll admit that more than once, I've gotten snagged on the first cast, and just packed up and left. Sometimes it just sucks the wind out of your sails.

Having a spare spool can be a life saver in these cases. I have to admit I thumb my casts more at night to stay on top of this. I wish I hadnt gotten rid of my 975 reels they’re harder to find now. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 hours ago, KarpsnKatz said:

You got cocky after two good casts and overpowered it on the third - we’ve all done it

but that’s mono, take you a minute to pick it clean - now if that was braid….

Edited by Jason B

6 mins ago, matt boyer said:

Having a spare spool can be a life saver in these cases. I have to admit I thumb my casts more at night to stay on top of this. I wish I hadnt gotten rid of my 975 reels they’re harder to find now. 

Yeah, should have never sold mine either. 

30 mins ago, rreelman said:

That's why most fisherman use spinning reels--rreelman

Because they are unwilling to go through the pain of learning and failure?? I throw a baitcaster at night all the time. Yes it took many failures

best to carie second rod,anything can go wrong with reel,i did carie 2 extra spooles,but if is somting wrong with reel you can not fix that with second spool.i never cut braid even if it take me 2 hours to untangle that.

I know this bird nest feeling. Hopefully you didn't lose your plug. That's like rubbing salt on a wound especially if it's a special plug that's no longer made.