trwhite

Beach Pass

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

Getting the crmc pass for the first time this year.

1. Does anyone know the hours of the office at burlingame?

2. Can you drive on the beaches in westerly/watch hill this week? I figure there will probably still be alot of people at the beach.

Thanks

I would call their office in wakefield and check what the procedure is this year and if covid has changed things. They are probaly also issuing them at burlingame  as well.

I think the westerly beaches are about 10 days out from opening.

Im sure if i have it wrong someone will correct me

I just did mine last week. You NEED to go to their website and fill out all the forms and pay for the permit. Once that is done you will get an email to pick a date and time for an "inspection". When you get your date and time, show up at their Wakefield RI office and someone will come out and give you a copy of the permit, and they witness you apply the sticker to your windshield.

When I got mine last year I went to Burlingame took about 15 min. The girl at the office was very helpful. I had to pay with a check because they won't take cash or a credit card.

Make an account, fill out paper work, scan and submit payment.  They will ask you what day you want to come in for inspection.  Monday to Friday only between 9-3PM.

The Saturday after Labor day, we're allowed to drive to Taylor Swift's beach front.

So the CRMC pamphlet says:

BLOCK ISLAND Vehicles are allowed year round on State, Scotch, and Mansion Beaches (i.e. "East Beach") via Corn Neck Road, but are restricted in the summer season to 6pm to 8am. Access to the North Light is available year round via Sachem Pond. It is not advisable to drive on Charlestown Beach due to sand hazards. All or portions of the beaches may be closed if Piping Plovers nest.

CHARLESTOWN After September 15, three beach access points are accessible, via Ninigret Conservation Area. The beach on the east side of the breachway may be accessed through the Charlestown Breachway Camping Area at the west end of Charlestown Beach Road. Note that vehicles are not allowed on the South Kingstown beaches at any time. Driving is allowed only from the Charlestown Breachway to the Charlestown Town Beach.

SOUTH KINGSTOWN Vehicles are prohibited from driving on the South Kingstown beaches at any time under South Kingstown Town Code Chapter 10, Section 10.4. The Charlestown Beach Road Sand Trail is a public road with three CRMC pedestrian access points to the beach. Please be aware that there may be no opportunity to turn around or park if using the sand trail.

WESTERLY Vehicles are prohibited on the beach from the first day of May of each year to the Saturday after Labor Day or during the period when beaches are in operation and protected by lifeguards. Vehicles are NOT allowed on Quonochontaug Beach at any time. Vehicles are only allowed on the Quonochontaug Sand Trail between September 15 and June 15. Vehicles may not leave the sand trail to drive on the beach at any time. Both sides of the sand trail are private property and parking is prohibited along the sand trail. Sections of the sand trail may be closed due to Piping Plover nesting

8 hours ago, afterhours said:

I get mine at the CRMC office at the Stead Center in Wakefield., easy peasy.

Do they check to make sure you have a shovel, etc.?

On 9/7/2021 at 6:51 AM, DEM Parking Lot said:

Make an account, fill out paper work, scan and submit payment.  They will ask you what day you want to come in for inspection.  Monday to Friday only between 9-3PM.

The Saturday after Labor day, we're allowed to drive to Taylor Swift's beach front.

The begining of the end for out of staters that can only show up on weekends. Inspection? Really ? If most on this site new where this process began,,,,, 

1 min ago, borntafish said:

The begining of the end for out of staters that can only show up on weekends. Inspection? Really ? If most on this site new where this process began,,,,, 

I have to say, they are incredibly difficult for seemingly no reason. I live just over the river in CT, had to pay 200 dollars, scan copies of all my documents to drive (as if its implied I'm driving on the road illegally), wait for them to call to make an appointment--- they didn't call; I called them. I tried making my appointment on a thursday which was one of my rare days off; no dice, come back next tuesday. They are open from 8-3 on weekdays only, wakefield only, and only will come out to "do their inspection," on times that they set, and they are NOT flexible with those times. I work in wakefield and it is still a hassle because they are only open during working hours and I have to get coverage so I can run over there. Classic state government DMV style crap!!  LOL! 

On 9/6/2021 at 8:30 PM, steveo905 said:

I just did mine last week. You NEED to go to their website and fill out all the forms and pay for the permit. Once that is done you will get an email to pick a date and time for an "inspection". When you get your date and time, show up at their Wakefield RI office and someone will come out and give you a copy of the permit, and they witness you apply the sticker to your windshield.

On 9/7/2021 at 6:51 AM, DEM Parking Lot said:

That was my experience last week and the current process.

I'd say some beauracracy is to be expected and worth it for the access and joy being on the beach in SoCo brings.

Better system than many locales and at least it's 1 permit vs the many needed for L.I. or Cape.

I had problems getting off work during their business hours too - and had to cancel a couple inspection / sticker appts cause of storm preps Henri / Ida - but the office was accommodating and phone calls / messaging system was replied to.

On 9/6/2021 at 8:30 PM, steveo905 said:

13 hours ago, borntafish said:

As a younger guy who was transplanted from CT years ago: where did this process begin? I think Ive read some of the history some where but I remember it was more about a surfcasting/beach buggy/striper club more towards westerly.

1 hour ago, AClarke said:

As a younger guy who was transplanted from CT years ago: where did this process begin? I think Ive read some of the history some where but I remember it was more about a surfcasting/beach buggy/striper club more towards westerly.

Started out as a venture to govern the access to the beach The actual policies were made up by a few guys drinking beers One being a retire Charlestown Police officer and a few others.  

Wife just went to CRMC a little bit ago She is pissed She said they are the biggest bunch 0F Aholes! rude as hell. Not like her to get upset Fortunately she knows alot of people in the state legislature. I'm gonna get my popcorn out and see where this goes. 

So much for guys coming from NJ Mass and NY and other places  to fish the fall run . 

Nope they will just risk the ticket . RI will loose more money.