541Wiant

Fishing in October?

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

I'm going to be driving up to the Midcoast for a few days around Columbus day weekend. Is anything usually inshore during that time? I don't have a boat, just fishing from shore.

Thanks,

Ben 

1 hour ago, 541Wiant said:

I'm going to be driving up to the Midcoast for a few days around Columbus day weekend. Is anything usually inshore during that time? I don't have a boat, just fishing from shore.

Thanks,

Ben 

You might have a shot a bass since Columbus Day is early this year.  My latest bass catch was Oct 7 so you may be in luck there.

Regardless, there should be macs and harbor pollock along the shore.

Think of this season, and how screwed up it has been.   Anything, anywhere are possible in October.    

3 hours ago, 541Wiant said:

What is the best thing to use for harbor pollock?  I'll have a 7'6 speed stick with 20lb line. 

Way overkill.  Fresh water light bass outfit is fine.  Most of the fish you'll catch will be less than 1 lb so you want to have a little fun.  Use a Sabiki rig, with no more than 3-4 flies on it and put a proper sized spoon that you've got lying around: Kastmaster, Little Cleo, Krocodile, etc...

On 9/6/2021 at 3:55 PM, Roccus7 said:

Way overkill.  Fresh water light bass outfit is fine.  Most of the fish you'll catch will be less than 1 lb so you want to have a little fun.  Use a Sabiki rig, with no more than 3-4 flies on it and put a proper sized spoon that you've got lying around: Kastmaster, Little Cleo, Krocodile, etc...

Yeah. I would use the smallest Sabiki I have. Maybe just a weight on the end if it's rocky. And light gear.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'll be about 1500 miles south chomping on a cigar and gazing at 100 or so snook, equal amounts of redfish, eating stone crabs and putting place up for sale in Bokeelia Fl.  

IMG_0810.JPG

IMG_0873.jpg

Edited by RAW
Addition

1 hour ago, RAW said:

I'll be about 1500 miles south chomping on a cigar and gazing at 100 or so snook, equal amounts of redfish, eating stone crabs and putting place up for sale. 6 months of 

IMG_0810.JPG

IMG_0873.jpg

Oh does that place look familiar.   I do miss it.  

3 hours ago, RAW said:

I'll be about 1500 miles south chomping on a cigar and gazing at 100 or so snook, equal amounts of redfish, eating stone crabs and putting place up for sale. 6 months of 

IMG_0810.JPG

IMG_0873.jpg

Shame that you're leaving!  I'm hoping to move up there soon 

I am actually going to be bringing my kayak up with sonar and we're staying near Pemaquid Beach, any advice on that? Totally new to saltwater fishing this season to begin with so this is a first out of a yack

2 hours ago, 541Wiant said:

I am actually going to be bringing my kayak up with sonar and we're staying near Pemaquid Beach, any advice on that? Totally new to saltwater fishing this season to begin with so this is a first out of a yack

That be near my stomping grounds and I've never caught a striper after October 9.  My running motto is "Every October bass is a gift from Poseidon."  The macks and pollock will be around and obliging...

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, Roccus7 said:

That be near my stomping grounds and I've never caught a striper after October 9.  My running motto is "Every October bass is a gift from Poseidon."  The macks and pollock will be around and obliging...

Thats doesn't sound too bad to me! Not too interested in the bass, more interested in the habor pollock and macks. How do they taste? Small spoons and sebiki for them? Diamond jigs? 

Edited by 541Wiant
Grammar