FISH BUCKET

Avet for surf casting?

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

8 mins ago, FISH BUCKET said:

Have the chance to pick up sxj 5.3 non magic cast....liked the feel of it but was wondering how it would do as a surf casting reel...

Without the magnet it's gonna be tough.  The spools are so heavy and the reel is so fast. Needs a mag to slow it down. I hear the ones with the mag are very tame tho. I tried to stadic mag the next size up and never could get it where I wanted it. Better reel for the boat.  

Edited by Jim McFeeley

Id give it a big no.  Tried this many years ago with the SX. Well documented from NE, down to obx, to texas.

The sxj is just narrower. Actually even a worse option then the sx.  If you can manage a good cast.  Your line capacity is already depleted. 

As a pier rod, a fighting rod, paired to an anchor rod, thats acceptable. Otherwise id keep it on a boat.

Edited by ooeric

Have switched over to low profile conventionals but that little avet felt sweet in the hand .....was hoping it would have better reviews from people who have used them

Reach out to Matt at ReelKustomReels.  He has mastered the processing of magging Avets.  But you could also just find a BG Saltist 30 and it will be perfect with zero modifications and can hold 295 yards of 20lb mono. 

not the reel you are asking about but,....i have the mx magged. bought it about ten years ago. quality made in america product. by the way i turn the mag off and just use my thumb so i do not see any reason a non magged sxj would be a problem. maybe go easy until you get the feel of her.

glad you are considering a made in america product first

good luck

Edited by mark d

8 hours ago, mark d said:

not the reel you are asking about but,....i have the mx magged. bought it about ten years ago. quality made in america product. by the way i turn the mag off and just use my thumb so i do not see any reason a non magged sxj would be a problem. maybe go easy until you get the feel of her.

glad you are considering a made in america product first

good luck

You’re turning the mag to it’s lowest setting, it’s not off. There’s still magnetic field influence on the spool. The non mag avets are nightmares to cast. 

I have two Avet equipped chunking set ups. One is a two speed and both have the factory mag set ups. Both are spooled with 50# braid. Can't say enough good things about them.

I agree with the other members on two issues:

1) Without the mags Avets would be unmanageable in the surf-especially for lures.

2)Matt at ReelKustomReels is tops at his craft. He did a Squidder Junior for me with a knobby control that is remarkable.The only reason I prefer the Avets is the two speed's gear ratios. A lot of cranks to change bait with any Squidder model.

Marc 

Edited by mml4

13 hours ago, Surfjunki said:

You’re turning the mag to it’s lowest setting, it’s not off. There’s still magnetic field influence on the spool. The non mag avets are nightmares to cast. 

i was wondering if someone would call me on this. i have heard they do have a little magness on the 0 setting as well. if i had a reel that was too fast for me i think i would pack the bearings with grease. if that didn't work i would get thicker grease