Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. Sept 5 - Sept 12

Rate this topic

78 posts in this topic

No albies at the point, a handful of short togs in between the islands and a bunch of snapper blues to feel like i've had a productive day. It was wicked nice today though.

I went out last night to try and get a trip in before the water gets too dirty. Couldn't buy a hit for about 2 hours and the conditions were pretty scary. I was about to leave and decided to try a couple casts in a "stupid" spot I had seen people fish before. To my utter astonishment I pulled a slot fish out of the wash in like a foot of water. My next few casts came up empty and a bunch of idiots started trickling down into the area with headlamps blazing. I've never seen so many people out at night in this spot. I had a few more hits on a bottle plug way out at the end of my cast. Eventually in my struggle to get the plug into the strike zone I bailed slammed, smashed the rod into the rocks, and broke about 6" off the top. That was the end of my evening. At least I didn't skunk. I didn't see anyone else hook up.

2 hours ago, rwilhelm said:

Hit the bay last night.  Was a lot of bait around but only snapper blues on them.   Not sure if just me but I never do well with NW wind.    

I hate a NW wind. Very rare I do well w that wind direction.

1 hour ago, LockedDrag said:

Ending my season early. Almost lost my life twice last night in top of a skunk. Surreal experience. Battered and bruised to end the season

That’s scary stuff, hope you are ok. Take it as a learning experience, and don’t make the same mistakes. I was tired last night and decided against fishing last minute because surf was too much to not be on top of your game.

I had a very scary experience a few years ago after being washed off a rock in a big swell w a 40” fish on the line and braid wrapped around my leg. I got overconfident, I have approached fishing big surf very differently since that day.

24 mins ago, Kooky said:

That’s scary stuff, hope you are ok. Take it as a learning experience, and don’t make the same mistakes. I was tired last night and decided against fishing last minute because surf was too much to not be on top of your game.

I had a very scary experience a few years ago after being washed off a rock in a big swell w a 40” fish on the line and braid wrapped around my leg. I got overconfident, I have approached fishing big surf very differently since that day.

I always keep a rather high safety margin but miscalculated last night. We were 20 yards from the shore and got blasted by a rogue wave. We both fell easily 15ft down to the rocks below and then got swept by another one right after we gathered ourselves. I can’t swim so if I had been pushed anther foot I would of been in the water and likely not here today. Feel very blessed and fortunate to be alive. Definitely going to rethink certain things. 

24 mins ago, LockedDrag said:

I always keep a rather high safety margin but miscalculated last night. We were 20 yards from the shore and got blasted by a rogue wave. We both fell easily 15ft down to the rocks below and then got swept by another one right after we gathered ourselves. I can’t swim so if I had been pushed anther foot I would of been in the water and likely not here today. Feel very blessed and fortunate to be alive. Definitely going to rethink certain things. 

Glad you’re both safe.  I rarely fish hurricane swells anymore.  If I do it’s generally daytime and ebbing tide.  Casting Flood tides and/or darkness can kill you.  

40 mins ago, DZ said:

Glad you’re both safe.  I rarely fish hurricane swells anymore.  If I do it’s generally daytime and ebbing tide.  Casting Flood tides and/or darkness can kill you.  

That was my takeaway. I ain’t never fishing big swells ever again. Better safe than sorry

1 hour ago, LockedDrag said:

Glad it worked out.  But as an avid fisherman you should really learn to swim.  Take a few lessons piece of cake.    

Did that once in Gloucester Ma years ago.  All alone, new moon dark and a big onshore swell.  I am standing on solid rock at the waters edge, on a decent high perch, just watching for a while.  My escape path is basically up a decent incline which is also all solid rock. All of a sudden I see this giant swell coming.  I turn and start sprinting up the incline. No joke but the tip of the wave hit me in the back.  I was probably 40' up the incline and easily 30' above the water at this point. CRAZY.  I went home right after this encounter..