albacized

Does anyone here use shin guards on jetties?

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

No , I don't use them and have never seen them worn in all my years of jetty fishing. But sometimes I wish I had them.

4 hours ago, albacized said:

And if so,  do you simply use baseball/soft ball gear or something else?

I don’t. But if your going to I’d think a soccer style shin pad might be a little less bulky than a soft ball gear. Just a guess though.

I never did but would never criticize the use of anything that protects you if makes you safer. I tried knee pads once for kneeling on rocks but wearing them was so distracting and annoying I tossed them. Jetties are serious ****. If anyone is shakey, unstable or just plain uncomfortable fishing on a jetty….don’t. Sadly I knew quite a few guys that had terrible accidents over the years on jetties and reefs. Passing on the rocks and fishing the sand doesn’t make anyone less of a man. 

All I'll say is stuff happens. I fished one specific jetty for 25 years. Been knocked down, lifted up, pushed over, nearly had to swim a couple times. Learned to take my time, intentional and methodical, one step at a time keeping situational awareness. Good footwear with lots of sharp cleats. Last May I started to slip. Nothing scary or spectacular. Wasn't concerned. Figured out the path, sat down on my butt, figured I'd stop myself at bottom against another boulder w/ the soles of my boots. Cleats caught an edge, bent my foot back and underneath. At bottom my foot was upside down and facing backwards. Broke my fibula in several places and blew apart the ligaments that hold the ankle together. 4 months latter, screws, plates, pins and 4 months of PT and my ankle, my gate or my stability will never be the same. 

Please be carful. I'm mean really really careful.

JD

Posted (edited)

No, but if I was going to it would be a mountain biking knee/shin guard. You may spend a little more but you will not find anything safer or more comfortable if your looking for leg protection. Get something made from D3O and it will be nice and soft and you will not even know they are there.

take a look at Gform pads

ks030201-proruggedkneeshin-1500x1500_3.j

Edited by Konajon

Never thought of wearing them on a jetty, but id 

wished id had them on more than once walking into

the hitch on my truck in the dark. Youd think i would

remember it was there by now. Same string of curses

every time.

18 mins ago, yosco said:

Never thought of wearing them on a jetty, but id 

wished id had them on more than once walking into

the hitch on my truck in the dark. Youd think i would

remember it was there by now. Same string of curses

every time.

That's something you are only supposed to do once....

Fishing certain south shore jetties with my fishing partner, we both experienced bleeding shins when kneeling down on those jetty rock to release albies because they thrash, etc. and legs move all around as well trying to release them. Bruises and bleeding, of course, after a day's fishing.Long soccer socks under waders helped. We'd all prob. be embarrassed to wear shin guards but, if not embarrassed, they would def. help our fishermens' leg bruising and cuts, for sure:bigeyes:

On 9/4/2021 at 8:31 PM, Branm92 said:

No but I have considered it, I got a few nasty scrapes that got infected. But I also don't wanna look like a tard lol

Can’t even see em at night