ADIDAF

Penn 535GS Static Mag Help Needed

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I’m looking to static mag a 535GS.  Can anyone help me out with magnet size and if a cup for the magnet is needed?  Best magnet mounting location would help too!

thanks!

Posted (edited) · Report post

A steel disc or washer(protected with nail polish/hard as nails) could be expoxied to the inside of the reel. Pick a spot where there is clearance for the magnet(s) to get close to the spool. Trial and error will determine size, or if you can stack more than one magnet. Spin the spool in freespool before and after adding mags , this will give some indication of braking without going outside and casting.

Edited by cheech

Secret: bugger thick washers, many stainless steel straight edges/rulers have sufficient iron in them to be magnetic, but don't rust

Cut a slice that you can glue from the entre to outer edge of the spool to allow you to slide a (greased for protection) Neodinium magnet around.

I'll find a photo to show what I mean.

Too much mag. Cast that with the mag wound in and it will virtually pull the rod out of your hands.

Id buy a sellection: 9x2mm 9x3mm and 9x4mm, say 2 of each and then play around

Photos show the magnetic SS plate method I mentioned previously

Mag-it Penn Torque 02.jpeg

Mag-it Penn Torque 01.jpeg

Mag-it plate with magnets.jpeg

Mag-it plate.jpeg

Mag-it Saltist Lever drag.jpeg

Mag-it Saltiga.jpeg

Powerful flat rare earth mags can be found in computer hard drives. The drives are tough to open, but it’s worth the effort.

On 9/27/2021 at 7:48 AM, cheech said:

Powerful flat rare earth mags can be found in computer hard drives. The drives are tough to open, but it’s worth the effort.

Hey Cheech, where are the magnets located in the hard drive? I have a couple of drives here I would like to scavenge myself some magnets lol. I was also curious what other types of magnets could be used?

The HD’s which look like a VHS cassette are tough to open. Once open, you ll see the magnets sandwiching the shiny hard disk.