The Gimp

Ida begone, say hello to to Larry

Rate this topic

98 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Fishbucket said:

Would it seem to reason that those death number are caused by population density now than in the 70s ? 

Why would you do this ? 

Are you not ok with science, and have to make it political ? 

Obviously you didn't read that this member started with politics. ;)

6 hours ago, onthehook said:

Tornadoes aren't all that rare here, we just don't get the huge F4 and F5 monsters that they see further west.

I remember a few back in the 70's and 80's, one that ripped through Seabrook, NJ, another one not long after that tore up a cemetery in Centerton, and one that ripped through Wharton state forest in the late 80's. I also seem to remember there being a quite a few that one year, 88 or 89.

I was moved to North East PA in 1990 and we had one in the late 90's rip right by my house, it cleared a path through the woods that looked like someone ran a 40ft wide mower through the trees. It took down a huge oak tree 40ft from my house, twisted it off like a twig, but never touched my house. The house across the street there wasn't so lucky, there was nothing left but the deck afterwards. It turned, went back into the trees and headed for a nearby lake. The same storm spawned two others nearby that tore through a few nearby towns as well. That was in June of 1998. Two of those were F2 and F3 class tornadoes.

I think NJ has been lucky that none have hit any highly populated areas as well.

There is no problem.  The earth is fine. All of these annual catastrophes are normal.  We just didn't hear about them because there were no cell phones.

4 hours ago, albacized said:

True - before cell phones, I never got texted alerts...I can't figure out why :confused:

That's what it is.  Cities were all underwater, tornadoes were everywhere, annual catastrophes were rampant. It's just that we just didn't get text alerts because we didn't have cell phones.  Wow, thanks.  Why didn't I think of that?!

35 mins ago, DaveC said:

That's what it is.  Cities were all underwater, tornadoes were everywhere, annual catastrophes were rampant. It's just that we just didn't get text alerts because we didn't have cell phones.  Wow, thanks.  Why didn't I think of that?!

LOL - is that your contention...that floods didn't occur, 'northern' tornadoes didn't exist, a particular busy tropical season didn't occur before say...I don't know...2015, or whenever they started pushing this stuff?

News for you - they did, and depending on what climate cycle they were in, with the same regularity as any year you want to cite. And you can't cherry pick cities and states like NJ when many (probably most) of the rest of the globe was having a normal weather day

Just now, albacized said:

LOL - is that your contention...that floods didn't occur, 'northern' tornadoes didn't exist, a particular busy tropical season didn't occur before say...I don't know...2015, or whenever they started pushing this stuff?

News for you - they did, and depending on what climate cycle they were in, with the same regularity as any year you want to cite. And you can't cherry pick cities and states like NJ when many (probably most) of the rest of the globe was having a normal weather day

Yeah, that's what I was saying.  None of this existed before 2015.  That's the problem with climate change people.  They think that none of this existed before 2015.  You're right.  Uncle.

5 mins ago, 55555s said:

Spaghetti models still show some uncertainty as to the tracking...

Screen Shot 2021-09-04 at 11.53.42 AM.png

Looks like the last time I tried to cast with a conventional reel.

Just now, The Gimp said:

Looks like the last time I tried to cast with a conventional reel.

lol

Thats how my Quantum QSS handles power pro!  

There are a lot more targets in NJ in 2021 than in 1960 or 1970. While I agree climate change is real you have to factor in much more than climate change into what caused these deaths. Population increase, building houses on flood plains or barrier islands all contribute to more deaths and more damage. If you turn acres of farm land that has the ability to absorb excess water into sub divisions that divert the excess water you are eventually going to have more flooding somewhere. 

The catastrophic water events we've been experiencing lately are a result of unrelentingl human encroachment on the environment. Why is it when a Beaver alters it's environment to suit it's own needs, its considered a nuisance, and can't be tolerated. However, when humans alter their environment to suit their needs, its called progress? The difference is, The Beaver has millions of years of innate ecological understanding. Humans, not so much. Every thing humans touch turns to crap. The only thing saving the environment from complete collapse is the humble Mosquito. They're the only thing keeping the human population in check.

2 hours ago, DaveC said:

There is no problem.  The earth is fine. All of these annual catastrophes are normal.  We just didn't hear about them because there were no cell phones.

A wiser man than you would agree

What has been will be again,
    what has been done will be done again;
    there is nothing new under the sun.
 Is there anything of which one can say,
    “Look! This is something new”?
It was here already, long ago;
    it was here before our time.

Ecclesiastes 1:9-10

1 min ago, TheSuperApe said:

A wiser man than you would agree

What has been will be again,
    what has been done will be done again;
    there is nothing new under the sun.
 Is there anything of which one can say,
    “Look! This is something new”?
It was here already, long ago;
    it was here before our time.

Ecclesiastes 1:9-10

I feel better now.

13 hours ago, giant basshole said:

You guys had dinosaurs there too. But that was a while ago.

While ago????

They still have them.

It's Jersey we are talking about.