Themavis

New spheros sw a vs Saragosa sw a

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

I used to complain about the slow retrieve, but the Spheros sw is a nice reel. Amd good to hear others like them .

Edited by jeffapeikin

1 hour ago, Inshore said:

On the Shimano Japan site is shows a 6 & 8k PG… “JDM reel”

Yeah thanks to company like plat.co that will let the consumer choose. I get all my PG stuff from them when Shimano USA only offer the XG and HG gear ratio.

On 9/3/2021 at 11:51 AM, Themavis said:

It seems like the only differences now between these two is the drag and maybe the gear material or extra bearings? I can't see why anyone would buy the Saragossa now unless they need that extra stopping power? Is the Saragosa sealed better somehow? I'm in the market for one of these and I trust y'alls opinion.

The spheros is great for the price can't go wrong

On 9/3/2021 at 5:29 PM, Callmefish said:

What the waterproof rating in thw speros? I know the gosa swa has an ipx rating of 9.

which is pretty dang good,

I fish with mine in the surf al the time and it can hang. I find myself grabbing that more then my visser or salt-x. now I have a vr201 i just added to the mix, and I’m already not exactly impressed with it.

my saragossa swa 5k impressed me, loved it straight out of the box.

Ipx9? What is that? 

I was just about to post this question regarding the new 2021 Spheros and the Gossa. I have the prior 2014 gen Spheros and it is a decent reel. The drag appears to be the biggest difference compared to the Gossa but doubt anyone will notice fishing for stripers, blues, seabass, flounder, etc. The drag performance seems to start to matter more with species like tuna, bonito, etc. 

The other difference is the handle... It is a folding handle as a opposed to the 1 pc on the Saragossa. Not sure how much that matters but for me, prefer less moving external parts to maintain. 

I plan to pick up a new Spheros soon to compare to the prior version. Some say the older ones are ugly but I do not think so. Not a huge fan of the gold on the new ones so hoping that will change with being impressed with the performance. 

At the very least, it will be a backup reel for that guest that joins you asking to borrow one of your $20-40 plugs to use on his yard sale bought Walmart grade Zebco/Shakespeare combo with OEM 20 year old mono. 

Edited by NHAngler

On 9/6/2021 at 8:38 AM, scoobydoo said:

Ipx9? What is that? 

It’s the highest rating of resistance in the ingress scale. Which is still just a 2 minute long test that doesn’t include salt.

Got a Saragosa 6k that’s supposed to be delivered tonight. Hope it turns out to be a great reel. Went with that reel because I liked the 15 oz weight and 40” IPT. And I think it’s going to balance and cast a lot better than my VR reels when I’m only doing light wading. 

On 9/3/2021 at 5:29 PM, Callmefish said:

What the waterproof rating in thw speros? I know the gosa swa has an ipx rating of 9.

which is pretty dang good,

Gosa has ipx8 rating not 9

20 mins ago, F1SH said:

How waterproof/sand resistant is the Saragossa compared to a VS?

With my VSX, I have no worries about using my rod as a wading staff while 

having the reel submerged several feet or cranking under water.

With my Gosa, I am only comfortable with splashes and quick shallow submersion without cranking underwater.

52 mins ago, F1SH said:

How waterproof/sand resistant is the Saragossa compared to a VS?

24 mins ago, Water Dog said:

With my Gosa, I am only comfortable with splashes and quick shallow submersion without cranking underwater.

I don’t own a VS but this above about sums up that side: you can definitely dunk. If you crank underwater, you would probably wanna keep up regular self maintenance and may need a pro service if the extreme use impacts performance.

If you don’t crank underwater and rarely dunk the reel, the sealing means maintenance should be minimal and still keep the feel it had when new. 

With a Saragosa, I would never crank the reel underwater. A brief dunk, I would only tear it down if I notice performance changes. Keep it to splashes & half dunkings and this version of sealing should get you like-new performance for years. 

I would submerge the reel to use the rod as a walking stick only in an emergency, but then I would probably expect to rinse and break down soon thereafter.

(That could be said about many lesser sealed reels - although with a Gosa I personally would expect to at least finish out my session after the walking stick thing. Same for the 2014 Spheros SW and the 2021 Spheros SW A.)

13 mins ago, EricDice said:

I don’t own a VS but this above about sums up that side: you can definitely dunk. If you crank underwater, you would probably wanna keep up regular self maintenance and may need a pro service if the extreme use impacts performance.

If you don’t crank underwater and rarely dunk the reel, the sealing means maintenance should be minimal and still keep the feel it had when new. 

With a Saragosa, I would never crank the reel underwater. A brief dunk, I would only tear it down if I notice performance changes. Keep it to splashes & half dunkings and this version of sealing should get you like-new performance for years. 

I would submerge the reel to use the rod as a walking stick only in an emergency, but then I would probably expect to rinse and break down soon thereafter.

(That could be said about many lesser sealed reels - although with a Gosa I personally would expect to at least finish out my session after the walking stick thing. Same for the 2014 Spheros SW and the 2021 Spheros SW A.)

38 mins ago, Water Dog said:

That’s what I thought I’ve only used VS in the surf but want something lighter for a lighter rod

1 hour ago, F1SH said:

That’s what I thought I’ve only used VS in the surf but want something lighter for a lighter rod

How much lighter? The Gosa only comes in 5k & 6k both of which weight around 16 ounces. That’s not heavy compared with a Penn 704z - but it’s not lightweight like the 7-11 OZ reels that offer less sealing. Vanford, Fuego, Stradic, etc. 

And the AR seal is the one I care most about which is the hardest one to do. The latest version of the AR seal is a hydrophobic cup underneath the rotor with a labyrinth thing that seems not very effective. That’s the version used on all the long stroke spool reels from Ultegra to Stradic to Sustain and up. 

The earlier version of sealing the AR was a smaller hydrophobic rotor cup, a plastic cover for the whole AR, and a rubber collar that the rotor cup sat in. If you got one with tight tolerance or just greased the hell out of that rubber collar to bridge that gap, this seal worked / works remarkably well in my Nascis and my 2014 Spheros SW. (not exactly the same parts in that older Spheros but close enough.)

EDIT:

Okay, I just double checked and that’s a gross oversimplification. There’s a number of key differences in the under-the-rotor seals. However, I have been really pleasantly surprised with the AR seal in the “coreprotect” design of the Nasci - looks to be similar or same in the 2019 Spheros SW. In fact, if that 19 version (a stradic FK clone with coreprotect) had a little more line capacity I may have gone the cheaper route and grabbed one of those instead of opting for a 6k Gosa - largely for the 5 ounces of weight savings. None of the coreprotect reels have the body seal rubber gasket, but I don’t feel that’s a major concern as long as you grease those ingress points during reassembly. Good sticky grease does well in non moving parts. 

Edited by EricDice
See the edit section