Themavis

New spheros sw a vs Saragosa sw a

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

It seems like the only differences now between these two is the drag and maybe the gear material or extra bearings? I can't see why anyone would buy the Saragossa now unless they need that extra stopping power? Is the Saragosa sealed better somehow? I'm in the market for one of these and I trust y'alls opinion.

Posted (edited) · Report post

They changed the Spheros SW gear ratio to match the Saragosa. No more PG option for the 5-8K. The difference is probably just extra support bearing for the gear instead of bushing. The spool clicker is likely to remain plastic with the Spheros and the line roller might be a bushing. Holding on to my older Spheros 5k and 6k because they are bulletproof.

Edit: Judging from the $139.99 MSRP for the 5-6K, I'm pretty sure they went with a cheaper main gear than last generation's model. The cheaper Japanese version of the older Spheros SW used a cheaper gear material.

Edited by aquaholik

Seems like the new baby ‘gosa like the old one was for the old saragosa. No bottom drag, missing a bearing opposite the handle, and I think that’s most of it. 

I’m highly considering the 6k (15/16 ounces I think) to fit a hole in my reel lineup for a surf reel that’s bigger than a stradic 5k and not brick heavy like the Spheros 10k 24 OZ. 

I will add that there’s less & less difference from the $120 Spheros SW Inshore up through the lines of reels with more & more features trickling down from the upper end models. 

Nowadays, spend about $130 or more and you’re getting a quality spinner. If you dunk it frequently, you may need a VS or ZB (or a 704z with regular maintenance) but those are fringe issues for the most part. 

I abused a lowly 2016 Nasci and only did once annual maintenance. That reel is still free spinning. (Not my favorite anymore but was a great value.)

New Spheros SW A seems like twice that reel for nominally higher price. The only thing that confuses me is how they sell more Gosas??!!

1 hour ago, aquaholik said:

They changed the Spheros SW gear ratio to match the Saragosa. No more PG option for the 5-8K. The difference is probably just extra support bearing for the gear instead of bushing. The spool clicker is likely to remain plastic with the Spheros and the line roller might be a bushing. Holding on to my older Spheros 5k and 6k because they are bulletproof.

Edit: Judging from the $139.99 MSRP for the 5-6K, I'm pretty sure they went with a cheaper main gear than last generation's model. The cheaper Japanese version of the older Spheros SW used a cheaper gear material.

The schematics are up on the Shimano parts site.

A quick check of the 5K main gear shows the same part #21049 for the gossa swa and the Spheros SWA

Hawk also says same gears.

1 hour ago, EricDice said:

I will add that there’s less & less difference from the $120 Spheros SW Inshore up through the lines of reels with more & more features trickling down from the upper end models. 

Nowadays, spend about $130 or more and you’re getting a quality spinner. If you dunk it frequently, you may need a VS or ZB (or a 704z with regular maintenance) but those are fringe issues for the most part. 

I abused a lowly 2016 Nasci and only did once annual maintenance. That reel is still free spinning. (Not my favorite anymore but was a great value.)

New Spheros SW A seems like twice that reel for nominally higher price. The only thing that confuses me is how they sell more Gosas??!!

What is VS, ZB and 704z?

Posted (edited) · Report post

21 mins ago, olvart said:

The schematics are up on the Shimano parts site.

A quick check of the 5K main gear shows the same part #21049 for the gossa swa and the Spheros SWA

Hawk also says same gears.

Oh wow. That's quite a surprise! This is going to kill the Gosa sales. Now why didn't they offer a low gear ratio option!?!? Might have to get it from plat again.

Links for the pdf parts manual? I can't seem to find in on Shimano website. Is it under parts and repairs?

Edit: found it under parts. Wow they didn't skimp much. Two bearings to support the main gear unlike the bushing from the 2014 series and 2 bearings for the pinion gear. I'm impressed for the price!

Edited by aquaholik

1 min ago, Themavis said:

What is VS, ZB and 704z?

The “dunkable” reels. (According to many.)

VS is vanstaal. ZB is Zee Baas. Both of these are fully sealed reels capable of being fully submerged and even cranked/reeled underwater- which is only needed by a select few anglers who do some risky things. 

A 704z is the old penn spinfisher. (There are other Z reels but I was keeping it short.) The Z reels are known for being “dunkable” if you prepare and then maintain after. Basically, the reel can be packed with grease, fished in a punishing manner, then disassembled cleaned and relubed before next use.

(It’s a reel with less internal parts & simple design compared with today’s stuff. It’s also not “refined” like the newer reels.)

That’s all on the Z reels for me as I haven’t owned one so I’m a poor source of info. 

(Sorry for the tangent topic reference causing confusion.)

1 hour ago, EricDice said:

The “dunkable” reels. (According to many.)

VS is vanstaal. ZB is Zee Baas. Both of these are fully sealed reels capable of being fully submerged and even cranked/reeled underwater- which is only needed by a select few anglers who do some risky things. 

A 704z is the old penn spinfisher. (There are other Z reels but I was keeping it short.) The Z reels are known for being “dunkable” if you prepare and then maintain after. Basically, the reel can be packed with grease, fished in a punishing manner, then disassembled cleaned and relubed before next use.

(It’s a reel with less internal parts & simple design compared with today’s stuff. It’s also not “refined” like the newer reels.)

That’s all on the Z reels for me as I haven’t owned one so I’m a poor source of info. 

(Sorry for the tangent topic reference causing confusion.)

Thanks! I should be able to make this work since I don’t think getting splashed by waves really counts as dunking. Maybe the occasional dunk if I get caught off guard or lose my balance in the surf.

1 hour ago, TopStriperAngler said:

Does this new Spheros SWA have a parallel body andreel foot or an angled reel foot(angled to the body)?

My understanding is Shimano has gone back to the angled foot with the exception of the long cast/carp reels.

3 hours ago, EricDice said:

Boat reels.

It's a soft enough price point to buy a ton to beat up on. But quality enough to

abuse without getting charged arms/legs for maintenance (if even).

What the waterproof rating in thw speros? I know the gosa swa has an ipx rating of 9.

which is pretty dang good,

I fish with mine in the surf al the time and it can hang. I find myself grabbing that more then my visser or salt-x. now I have a vr201 i just added to the mix, and I’m already not exactly impressed with it.

my saragossa swa 5k impressed me, loved it straight out of the box.