Casting woes

Rate this topic

Tlaw91

I think I need a lesson in casting with my lightweight outfits, It’s pretty frustrating. 

I, for the past two years have been fishing a daiwa bg 6k (lures)or a penn fierce 6k (chunking) on my penn prevail 2 piece, with 30lb braid and 50 lb braid respectively. And I feel like I could cast a country mile with relative ease.  

Fast forward to buying a light weight outfit I use off the boat or back bays daiwa ballistic 4K and a mojo inshore 7’6 mhf and I feel like I’m a child learning all over again. I’m not using heavy plugs or overloading the rod with weight but staying within the rods recommended range . I generally cast 1/4oz jig heads with jerk shads for fluke , maybe swim baits or small storm shad or savage gear sand eels if I think there’s some strippers around and the And the occasional top water think spook jrs. Small sp minnows Ect. But I feel like I’m throwing mortars every other cast. Any advise boys? 

Perhaps you're right isn't loading properly?, Or perhaps the  reel isn't suited to that rod, I have found this with certain rods and real combos that the real does not really match the rod in terms of first guide distance spool diameter and all that kind of stuff.

If you've been fishing for a while now and your other setups work fine perhaps that's your trouble.

Back in the days when I first for the 7-ft St Croix Old Saint Croix premiere with a daiwa regal z 3500 it wasn't well matched to that rod.

I tried it on a different rod and it worked much better so that could be a big problem and why you're not feeling the setup.

Also, don't expect large distances especially with such light weights, a quarter ounce jig is not going to fly anywhere near what a 1 oz is going to fly.

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,

I am unsure , a reputable guy at a reputable shop set me up with what he said pairs really well together and he uses this set up , I think maybe my teqnuiqe is way off not letting rod load enough and or , but HH I WILL 100% be throwing some of my other reels on and trying that out because that hadn’t ever even occurred to me thank you brother appreciate your taking your time to shed some light.

Edited by Tlaw91

Besides putting time in with subtle changes & experimentation, try lighter braid and especially try a “flick” cast - I often use a 3/4 like someone else mentioned. Sometimes the “less is more” approach makes a difference. 

Keep in mind, except for mostly high end blanks, the action of a fast short rod can still be faster than a fast rated 9’/10’+ blank. 

the faster the action rod, the less room for error on timing.

try a softer rod like a L or M. gives more wiggle on timing.

i use 2/3 rule for trading. join date, posts, or vouch. whoever has less goes first.

(*member formerly known as 'ooeric')

I had to think about this for a little bit. HH may be right about the rod reel mismatch but it occurred to me that I cast 9'+ rods very differently than rods less than 9'.  Longer rods I am casting two handed to start with vs shorter rods which I normally cast one handed. When casting longer rods I'm usually using a longer lead that seems to load the rod better and I'm taking the rod much further back to cast. With shorter rods the lead is shorter and I'm depending on the action of the rod more so than the cast method to get the distance I'm after.  Hope that helps. 

"A land without memories is a people without liberty" - Robert E. Lee

Thank you all , I brought my kids to Smiths today just to hang on the sand brought my rod and a bunch of different sized bucktails turns out my timing was off I just wasn’t used to how the rod was loading . Holding on to my casts just a few split seconds longer was exactly what I needed. But as far as the 1/4 jig head plus the weight of a 6” jerk shad or a 6.5 nemesis . Plenty of weight figured it out I mean listen it’s a shorter rod I except to not be bombing it out quite as far . Pretty much used the flick method and just kept adding a little more every cast until I started seeing negative returns didn’t catch crap today but I got the cast pretty much dialed in.