dannyplug1

Crayfish immitations

16 posts in this topic

Have been fishing Amanda crayfish on a Ned rig of late.  Was wondering if using one of the berkley power bait craws would work better.  Guess ime asking if ant one here uses the berkley power bait craw and is the three or four inch size better.  Thanks Charlie 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Decent baits. Pretty durable if I remember (haven't thrown em since last year).  3 inch sounds more appropriate for Ned imo... i was using the 3 inch for small texas rigs or as a jig trailer in between a chunk and a full sized craw.

 

Check out the "NetBait Tiny Paca Craw"...3 inch craw with a portion of the body hollowed out for rattles/scent loading

Edited by BG_NJ
bait rec

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I pour my own crayfish modeled after the Yamamoto baby craw. But instead of Ned rigging I use Neko rigs. Light neko weight depending on water depth. And the o ring around the back end. With a weed less  finesse hook. 
Works better than a Ned rig for me.  Only thing I’ve ever caught on a Ned rig was weeds. Give it a try. Any craw will do 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There’s so many good ones out there the choices are endless. I’ve always liked Rage Craws. They’re a little pricey but they have great action. I use them as jig & swim jig trailers, t-rigged but my favorite way is on a Dirty Jigs Pivot Point Football Jig .They work best on gravel or rock bottom.  I don’t throw the Ned as much as a shaky head or drop shot but I like the Zman stuff when I do . I found these weed less  Ned heads from Flatlands Custom Tackle a couple years ago and they work well and use a Gami EWG hook

9F97EA30-CA2A-4BAC-B985-A276F794CFFE.jpeg

49596E5A-396C-46E2-8851-2CCD3E1BAE80.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/12/2021 at 4:06 PM, kinghong1970 said:

Do most ponds in Northern NJ have crayfish?

Yes.

I don't think there is a body of water in the lower 48 without crawfish. 

I've seen them in the high peaks of NYS.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, onthefly said:

Nikko is one of the best very durable also helllgrimites are Great

1519205372.jpg

My Helgies turned to a ball of snot within a week in the back of my car

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hd baits

champ craw

chigger craw

modifiying the live target (break glue joint to head so it flexes better...open up hook bend at the back bend of the hook shank to promote better penetration

Add chatterbait blade if you wish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/19/2021 at 4:13 AM, PSegnatelli said:

Yes.

I don't think there is a body of water in the lower 48 without crawfish. 

I've seen them in the high peaks of NYS.  

thank you very much for the reply.

 

freshwater fishing seems a bit more daunting... and watching all the youtube vids don't help much in that the amount of technique specific gear etc... was overwhelming.

 

anyways, been taking my son out to the local ponds for a month... waking him up at 7 am every weekend was challenging.  i saw his excitement start to fade as we had no success and was even considering resorting to hot dog chunks on tiny hooks.  but honestly, i felt a bit uneasy about feeding fish something that is not natural to them... though i'm sure they're fed enough by everyone else who fishes there.

 

this has been a test of patience and perseverance for him... but i am happy to report that he finally caught a wee small bass and i think he's hooked.

 

thanks to the SOL community, haven't participated much in the FW section but been reading a ton.

thanks to @buddha162  for all your advice bro!

 

cheers!

 

Al

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 mins ago, kinghong1970 said:

thank you very much for the reply.

 

freshwater fishing seems a bit more daunting... and watching all the youtube vids don't help much in that the amount of technique specific gear etc... was overwhelming.

 

anyways, been taking my son out to the local ponds for a month... waking him up at 7 am every weekend was challenging.  i saw his excitement start to fade as we had no success and was even considering resorting to hot dog chunks on tiny hooks.  but honestly, i felt a bit uneasy about feeding fish something that is not natural to them... though i'm sure they're fed enough by everyone else who fishes there.

 

this has been a test of patience and perseverance for him... but i am happy to report that he finally caught a wee small bass and i think he's hooked.

 

thanks to the SOL community, haven't participated much in the FW section but been reading a ton.

thanks to @buddha162  for all your advice bro!

 

cheers!

 

Al

 

 

Chum.  

Works in freshwater too!   I usually pack some plain instant oats & a small bottle of bunker oil.  Mix & toss.  

I ran out of oats one trip and used TVP I packed for lunch.  Worked also.  Dry cat & dog food, bread crumbs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/19/2021 at 2:13 PM, scoobydoo said:

My Helgies turned to a ball of snot within a week in the back of my car

I don't leave any soft plastics in my car when it gets hot pretty much any of them will distort change color etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.