hunter123

Sand spikes

Rate this topic

60 posts in this topic

I have been using the bought PVC spikes for years. I bought a fish n mate aluminum splike , and it worked grat for awhile. I had to duck tape tape the rod holder part because it scratched one my rods up the first time using it. Are there better one's out there. I have tried the one's from Cabelas, they stink, they bend easy. I'm thinking of just getting new longer pvc one's. I mostly fish sandy beaches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I make my own.  But if I had to buy it would be from Gene Reynolds in South Bethany.   Same guy who made most of the truck racks on Delaware beaches.  OTW is another local one that look good but have never used them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7fZ2z28z7rAJ6YBp8yz5eGb5TMcCH_nT6DZKMeYoNevxgiSIQvYdmc81LXQBsHwI4q9AcNMfI3KA3eaCSeNWeVaaBKwuV8AcJxka4gUa3bn2iX7q9Xsus2zGABIKizNxFrwIAH1gUO2-SlZ6cT2i47VP0vecidvGqJAA76Axt8UXOXOlGSt-PhpfhGYjK5DrG-petFPM4oJdcilt2rO4RRdkfMGw1mWG4C90zxpFWep6zGOeZ4WrAcKezrpHSpPA18JwhH8JBfDDZlild4kmzlZy-_V-KUk_GYp911iOc6ssNu3rHvZmI0vKxMwxBx8bIf-EslLCgudHhLuOyexn0EocQZUcIPbbYVsFjJnxDzPWu8V0auQkUVwgFAp24kwl37YE0dkDd8gwovEP51nR9Xz60bqaFGvF0-zR-9hJnCErBiHNakZ1_8LbksG-THI4pmWxbfzFJiFLxtamfZkN_Jxt6Caqvf5JmuLJgKNxkAU3uXBj6eH2866Azm72zvbCZ5iqiCrl91Iwfguh4Kk2KFcUH0nvtjhvF6HLHAnibEs_mUul_cI2GYURM7y-flOUIQlIZmcWXdpvT3A9ItpURb-0d0USduk-1YIsbXjcAdiPHR-_SFbNBNLu14I0Pzvyvmt0IjxYGeV7BlVN1wgb_qaxqcbiWtCTaPCLPw7GtTY0sFZge8ID6NYdwpLP8k86B6Ajt0Kn5Q7Pq29yO5I9SZw=w442-h588-no?authuser=0
az_akahxsD4T8AI3VEJPTfcdJ4GGDO8CDqfaL9mHN1gNpVNuM-udSnyL4ta2HnSNqbV3AjuWczaIXcp0n2vSx2voQgqWxdtEZg4pn4spB1uiYYQKMaoeB0N21LXmkFVzuCIAFyZwV2KYEBzfvy6C8rqnM-RgXOILYd5NqeldCkPIKkfHvr_gWENJOHSydYoWBlDnReHgf78cMnQA_W2KJyIgWGiJmR4NQ2OsjncM6N4krR-A6uwGjW-oUhqPdCh2JbygZzfPXHAWOMBGfyA7Gw0xKbdNsPQv2wlrEaKIVH0v1mrsN-PV_8q6Ac_WRIUcX9udm9M0iioiqzasmynYS_AFHt5y3IMqhF4ohTpLx5Sye2L8tJE5LoXNXh1ZBLBVQuddV07bWq0i1_Tm-3x7nVc2_vSVPBYUiu0Xz7gtZvMn9aKygPLPezGdgNsPgrvdEN1JqoVfHu9-JXO52uxkopERas0hK7dQrYd5ofmXFiYj6-VXlLtihhAj_bI7iLFEiAF4IR4nhWBgCQFI6a8hCPRcYk2Yvj5RLQTy9CKMHuReC0ufALszLHuw8qggE_t3DjHBmTJS1dnBRhQYDHtdQ_3kMAEn1VaDvtR_aKGw23xzMZIE_Jpf21v9vBRZ8RhSTkTaugx1Zg9M05U3ObAjyTR3M5eYZO3ub3zq60syC81c6bCfsFxeFq_1dnIATsAg7vn7gLTu1z6beIOISh9iTxo=w442-h588-no?authuser=0
i like the aluminum spikes.
I drill holes near the bottom and put HD tie raps so my rods are easy to get out with a big Drum on etc.
They nest very nice on my cart.
Been using them for years,works for me.:howdy:
That blue bucket is my bleedout bucket. 
I nest another 5 gal bucket full of gear on top of that.
If your interested I will take a pic of the new 4 wheel mods to this cart lol

7387E684-32F8-437A-B64E-712896F6C6DC.jpeg

9C9CA06D-5EFD-42E1-B6BA-4D963BA8832D.jpeg

Edited by olvart

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

About the same here. SCH40 1-1/2” PVC. Cut it at a sharp angle on a chop saw, then heat the receiver end and push over a wine/whiskey bottle to flair it out, then clean up the rough edges. Takes no time. 

 

Ive never hammered one in, just the back and forth beach umbrella “dig”. 

 

Works fine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 mins ago, hunter123 said:

 .............I bought a fish n mate aluminum splike , and it worked grat for awhile. I had to duck tape tape the rod holder part because it scratched one my rods up the first time using it. Are there better one's out there. .......

I've used the Fish-N-Mates for over ten years and for the life of me I can't see how you buggered up a rod with one. I had Jersey Surf Products before the Fish-N-Mates but they got lost on the beach. :headscratch:  Pretty sure Jersey Surf Products are out of business.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 mins ago, Danthe said:

Ive never hammered one in, just the back and forth beach umbrella “dig”. 

 

Works fine. 

It does work fine, for wittle tiny fish lol...

 

Just kidding :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm to old to be chasing rods down the beach,lol.

That's why I went to aluminum spikes and bait runners for spiked rods.

My 3 nested spikes take up the room of one pvc spike and I don't need a hammer.

 

I just set them on my belt buckle and drop 195 lbs on em'!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 8 & Bait said:

I use the PVC, shouldn't be dead sticking anyway

I put my 8' and 9 ' I use for whiting, spot, pompano in the spike, I use circle hooks on them. I use the other spike for chunking or soaking cut bait. I also use circle hooks on them. Like my set up , but would like to get a better spike .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 mins ago, Capt Buck said:

I've used the Fish-N-Mates for over ten years and for the life of me I can't see how you buggered up a rod with one. I had Jersey Surf Products before the Fish-N-Mates but they got lost on the beach. :headscratch:  Pretty sure Jersey Surf Products are out of business.

At the bottom of the rod holder  where Olvart put his tie wraps the aluminum is rough., The plastic had sharp edges, I was able to smooth them out. The bottom of the aluminum was razor sharp and some spots were as rough as chipped metal. I had to duck tape it all.  I like the fish n mates but the one's I get are made as rough as a cob on the rod holder. 

Edited by hunter123

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 mins ago, olvart said:

I'm to old to be chasing rods down the beach,lol.

That's why I went to aluminum spikes and bait runners for spiked rods.

My 3 nested spikes take up the room of one pvc spike and I don't need a hammer.

 

I just set them on my belt buckle and drop 195 lbs on em'!!

 

You got me thinking the way you put the tie wraps at the bottom of the rod holder. This would stop the rod from going down past the bottom edge were it's rough. How is it for as far as the rod being down enough not to be pulled out?

Edited by hunter123

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 mins ago, hunter123 said:

You got me thinking the way you put the tie wraps at the bottom of the rod holder. This would stop the rod from going down past the bottom edge were it's rough. How is it for as far as the rod being down enough not to be pulled out?

That's why I did it!!

You don't have to fight the rod holder to get the rod out.

Works great!

Where the rod butts against the top of the holder I spin a few wraps of electrical tape and/or  shrink wrap to protect the blank. Some of my more experienced rods show wear from throbbing in the spike LOL.

Thats a good thing:howdy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.