aneary

Mullet time

Rate this topic

143 posts in this topic

17 mins ago, gman1253 said:

Good question...  " And can you provide a bit more on the "dead stop style"? Are you retrieving several cranks, stopping, letting plug suspend or ascend, and then retrieving again? Any jerks in that process? "

One of my go to retrieves up north was that pop - pop - pop pause count to 3 Mississippi then pop - pop - pop- pause ....  but that was blues / stripers.

Pickle Ricky, guy down here, uses that for sharks with big open face floating poppers. His buddies like loaded Tsunami poppers and Ricky thinks being different is, well, different. 

3 hours ago, flyangler said:

See, sometimes even practices that sound zany can work in Florida. 

Listen to him, he's forgotten more this week on Florida surf fishing than I know. 

Z, I have seen you out there during the proper migration with the big orange TA darter and orange skirt, what color are you using at this time of the year? And can you provide a bit more on the "dead stop style"? Are you retrieving several cranks, stopping, letting plug suspend or ascend, and then retrieving again? Any jerks in that process? 

In my case: I never approach the ocean with any specific rhythm in mind, or retrieve. It all depends on what the fish want on any given condition(s). The sharks that I go after are very, very particular in relation to the conditions. Most of them don't like sudden movements. Most of them like slow, finesse-like movements, stopping often and letting the wave action finesse the "wounded" lure around, especially nearer the surf zone. Shark fishing with lures from the beach actually involves avoiding strikes, believe it or not. I guess learning the fish (learning any fish, for that matter) helps in catching more of them. 

I like Yum Yum Yellow this year  LoL 

Posted (edited) · Report post

55 mins ago, SnookerFla said:

Many of snook were landed fishing the inlets using the original metal lipped pikies

I watched Lyd Basnite (Mike's wife) fish a "northern" metal lip in Sebastian several years back. On outgoing tide, she'd cast it up current (with the obligatory Blackhole rod) and just let is swing down current, maybe with the odd twitch every now and then. in 20 minutes watched her land an overslot snook and a bull red, both hitting when the lure was just there floating.

her rationale: the big gamefish are lazy and would prefer to eat a "dead bait" off the surface than chase the same sized live bait around in the current. 

her view on lure color: it doesn't matter what you see from above, the silhouette is all that matters, either dark/black or light/white. 

Edited by flyangler

38 mins ago, flyangler said:

you mean bye bye to orange?

Nah, orange is sticking around. Yum Yum is just too yummy right now lol 

Wow. Use metal lips. Don’t use metal lips. I guess there are no absolutes with FL surf fishing - or any other fishing for that matter.

I had a moderately successful night with small snook under my favorite bridge on the inward flow side, but what I saw on the downcurrent side - right before I left for the night - gave me the “big fish shakes.” Too tired to talk about it now, but it was VERY large tarpon slaughtering mullet that found their way into the ICW.

Tomorrow.

So last post I made we were seeing bigger mullet, seemed to only last a short while before the fingers started moving again. We’ve been having a nice pretty steady run of fish the last few days. Seeing more pods of large mullet but there’s small and mid-size moving as well. 

somedays getting the mullet can be difficult, they are out behind the first wave break . Anyway seeing lots of sharks, hooked 2 tarpon today , a really nice double digit jack and a nice Spanish that made for tasty sashimi. Keep fishing!

23 hours ago, Bass2Snook said:

Wow. Use metal lips. Don’t use metal lips. I guess there are no absolutes with FL surf fishing - or any other fishing for that matter.

I had a moderately successful night with small snook under my favorite bridge on the inward flow side, but what I saw on the downcurrent side - right before I left for the night - gave me the “big fish shakes.” Too tired to talk about it now, but it was VERY large tarpon slaughtering mullet that found their way into the ICW.

Tomorrow.

Yes, I’m quoting my own post. As I said above the small snook were willing to cooperate under the bridge. Fingerling mullet moved in the St Lucie River and it helped fuel the action. What was more exciting to me was watching huge tarpon crushing these mullet on the downtide side of the bridge. I only noticed it because when I was heading to my car I heard huge splashes like someone fell overboard. At the top of the bridge I pulled over and looked down to behold huge fish leaping sideways at the shadow line. Me and another guy started chatting about it, he said “them some big ones.” He said they were around the 100lb mark. He added “you can hook ‘em, but you aren’t landing them!”

The issue is that you CAN access these fish on the ground, wading out parallel to the bridge and casting into the shadows, but my concern is that such a presentation would appear unnatural. This is due to the fact that your offering would be pulled downcurrent and you’d be retrieving against the current. I know that worked at places like the Breezy Point jetty in NY, but not sure how this would work on tarpon. My gut tells me a large shad body with a mullet-like profile, a darter or even a bottle plug might be worth a shot.

Edited by Bass2Snook

3 hours ago, aneary said:

So last post I made we were seeing bigger mullet, seemed to only last a short while before the fingers started moving again. We’ve been having a nice pretty steady run of fish the last few days. Seeing more pods of large mullet but there’s small and mid-size moving as well. 

somedays getting the mullet can be difficult, they are out behind the first wave break . Anyway seeing lots of sharks, hooked 2 tarpon today , a really nice double digit jack and a nice Spanish that made for tasty sashimi. Keep fishing!

Not seeing any mullet in my parts on the beach recently, but I will try before dusk tomorrow before switching to the bridges after dark.

12 hours ago, Bass2Snook said:

Yes, I’m quoting my own post. As I said above the small snook were willing to cooperate under the bridge. Fingerling mullet moved in the St Lucie River and it helped fuel the action. What was more exciting to me was watching huge tarpon crushing these mullet on the downtide side of the bridge. I only noticed it because when I was heading to my car I heard huge splashes like someone fell overboard. At the top of the bridge I pulled over and looked down to behold huge fish leaping sideways at the shadow line. Me and another guy started chatting about it, he said “them some big ones.” He said they were around the 100lb mark. He added “you can hook ‘em, but you aren’t landing them!”

The issue is that you CAN access these fish on the ground, wading out parallel to the bridge and casting into the shadows, but my concern is that such a presentation would appear unnatural. This is due to the fact that your offering would be pulled downcurrent and you’d be retrieving against the current. I know that worked at places like the Breezy Point jetty in NY, but not sure how this would work on tarpon. My gut tells me a large shad body with a mullet-like profile, a darter or even a bottle plug might be worth a shot.

Id go with you gut and try drifting a swim bait through that area:)

On 10/13/2021 at 0:18 AM, Bass2Snook said:

Use your striper lures. Lots of old Fl salts around here poo poo certain lures and methods, and lots stick to one or two ways of doing things - cos they work I suppose. Me I’m always experimenting and some experiments work brilliantly. More important it’s part of the fun for me.

I have caught plenty on metal lips. Snook looking for croakers in particular at low light. Since most are at the beach lip, right at your feet, castability is irrelevant fwiw  

26 mins ago, Iophon said:

Use your striper lures. Lots of old Fl salts around here poo poo certain lures and methods, and lots stick to one or two ways of doing things - cos they work I suppose. Me I’m always experimenting and some experiments work brilliantly. More important it’s part of the fun for me.

I have caught plenty on metal lips. Snook looking for croakers in particular at low light. Since most are at the beach lip, right at your feet, castability is irrelevant fwiw  

Thanks for the advice. I guess I’m being too hard on myself. When I just started out really trying to “be a striper fisherman” over 40 years ago I remember the struggles I went through. It took a long time before I felt comfortable with the right tides, winds, moon phases, lure selections etc. Eventually, though, it all came naturally to me. Here, in FL, I’ve only been here just over a year now. I do have some nice snook under my belt (36”, 40” and 43”) but I’ve also had many many nights with not a single bump. The summer beach bite has for the most part frustrated me. Fortunately I’ve befriended a local salt and he’s been very kind and helpful (BTW guy carries a gun on his belt LOL) but he’s “FL old school” and he’s stuck in the MirroLure and NLBN mode and only fishes on the inside. Not that there’s anything wrong with that but some nights I’m sure there are other ways. All three of my PB snook were taken on NY-style bucktails.

Regarding the metal lips, I would imagine the smaller lighter models would be better, like smaller Bob Hahns and Beachmasters? I can’t picture plopping down a heavy 9” Musso pine right at the lip and spooking fish…

Edited by Bass2Snook

My morning jaunt:

South Juno 

Loggerhead

Peaks at Pier

Access #21

Xanadu #57 

Carlin Park

Coral Cove #79

Hobe Sound muni beach 

Unplanned meeting with Gman at first light in Juno. We threw a few casts but saw nothing. I headed north by truck, he headed south on foot. 

For me, nothing. A couple of small bait pods observed but not fished. A few blacktips spinning at CC. I cast a big Roberts at a couple of fins even though I was not rigged for it but not a sniff. And nothing otherwise. 

I might go upriver tomorrow morning with fat tire bike.