aneary

Mullet time

Rate this topic

149 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, flyangler said:

Same beach this morning and not gamefish. Small pods of mullet but nothing around them. I actually never touched the sand, stood on top of the steps and watched for an hour. Had four different discussions with angler or watchers including our own zcoker who came off the beach in frustration. 

Of course, I had my camera and 600mm long lens so of course nothing photogenic happened....

Glad I didn’t miss anything. I couldn’t have made the morning bite anyway, but the last couple of days we’ve have window contractors at the house and it’s been difficult to shoot out after dinner - because they’ve been there pretty late both days. I think I’ll be back in commission tomorrow.

2 hours ago, SnookerFla said:

A decent school at the Juno pier yesterday. Many tarpon and sharks hooked.

Dang it, out of town until Monday

Ocean Water up here has lots of weed so I switched to the river. Caught some small snook on the fly. Saw some tarpon rolling, big jacks following bait and a few nice snook swimming around. Hopefully the river will continue to improve, not sure when the wind will shift and the ocean clear. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I am going to cross post this from the Sharky thread, just in case anyone here is not following Z's adventures there. 

I HIGHLY recommend following Michael on Instagram, if you are active there. At this time of year, his posts can be quite helpful. As for your snook, they are hiding under that "oil slick".

Apologies if I am being annoying twice. 

2CEEFAF3-B16C-46B6-9522-A287E0CDA567_1_201_a.jpeg.139b0964f69ae107845ab672f062881d.jpeg

Edited by flyangler

BTW, I also posted this in the Sharky discussion, repeating here if anyone is not following both, now or in the future. 

==========

one thought, the mullet run activity is not just a low-light event, it can go off at anytime during the day, even at high Noon. thus, you have to move around, which is what Z does, alot. now he has his own network of locals, up and down the area, but we meager googans can do the same. 

fish a beach at sunrise, if nothing, leave. to north or south to next beach and take a look. if there is nothing obvious, keep moving. 

in our area, you could do this from Jupiter Island north of the inlet, to the south jetty of the inlet, to Carlin Park, to any of a dozen spots down to Juno Pier, down to the Loggerhead Park, down to Mercury and then down to Kagan park, all within 30 minutes if you don't stop and wet a line at any of the above. 

and if that is a bust and you have the time, Singer Island is 15 minutes south, the park and then down to the public beach at Wings and then down to the inlet proper. 

I could check all of the above in under two hours, if so inclined. 

btw, find a monocular or binoculars and carry it with you, especially if you have "mature eyes". you might be able to see tarpon jumping in the distance, but you might not see jumping mullet, slashing jacks and other less obvious signs at a distance, unless you have the "help" of optics.

my waterproof binocs are too heavy to carry around on a belt pouch everyday, so I use a cheap and small 8X bought on Amazon, almost disposable at those prices. I put them in a ziplock and then in a nylon pouch on the belt. 

Latest for me. The last 3-4 days very little showing of finger mullet more of the larger mullet and many times they are heading north. Tarpon, shark and big jacks are with them a lot of the time, sometimes surprisingly not. We still have those sporadic schools come through and all hell is breaking loose, normally the bait is moving quick but sometimes it will stay in one spot for a bit. I’m not sure if I am starting to see the beginning of the end up here but it seems to be winding down.

I can’t say I love the big mullet it appears to attract more shark than tarpon so far. 
p

Posted (edited) · Report post

A few bumps at dusk on Yo-Zuri Mag Darters on the beach. I saw a few big mullet jump here and there. No other action seen.

Edited by Bass2Snook

I had small mullet over the past weekend around Boca. Some fish on them. I hooked up shark only.

Since Monday, no mullet and still hooking up sharks.

There are giant schools of small bait 1/2 mile off the beach. Lots of shark there also for me.

They are a PIA. Fun, but enough now.

Im tired of rigging. 

Quiet in Jupiter this morning at first light, but picked up at half light and went on for 30+ minutes until after full sunrise. Then it died. Mullet of all sizes with tarpon of all size and some snook. Probably ten anglers and i noted no one hooked up. I had one small tarpon hit a 3oz Hogy paddle tail but he jumped in the wash and I forgot to bow to the king. So no pics of the fish.

A guy handing out with his wife two dogs did take this of me with the new rod. That tarpon were out at the first rollers so I needed to see what the new rod could do. 

IMG_0236.jpg.cf1c9450d5cd8306ad2316fcd5179344.jpg