aneary

Mullet time

Rate this topic

147 posts in this topic

On 9/25/2021 at 0:52 PM, flyangler said:

Mullet were just north of Jupiter Inlet yesterday afternoon and this morning just after sunrise. I was there for the morning slamming by tarpon and big jacks with a shark or two thrown in. I had one tarpon on for 30 seconds and came off on second jump. Lost another on hook set and caught two jacks. 6-8 guys working the blowups and I noted three other jacks landed, no tarpon. All hooked fish were on paddle tails with no touches at all to surface lures, not even the jacks. Most were using Hogy ProTails or NLBN plastics. 

First time using rod I just finished making and it no longer is "untested". So much power in this rod. I couldn't resist color coordinating the lure with the rod's color scheme, and purple did work today, so...

B3F7D4B0-9C8A-4AA2-9C93-5395E152715B_1_105_c.jpeg.f4e1067b8b463e372211dccf8669351e.jpeg

88546287-9FBC-46FB-B76D-0197AC844C55_1_105_c.jpeg.8bbdd4711eb4974f133c3634cb58dbe5.jpeg

A148D748-EBD5-4780-9F06-F212FA20834B_1_105_c.jpeg.9c05bdae8edf800a5337d1810e2bbb2f.jpeg

Is there nothing that NLBN lures cannot catch?

12614736-1663-464D-8916-F5226ACBC24F_1_105_c.jpeg.e8c503e9f4a68ff28de6072a6ba51920.jpeg

This JC fought much bigger than its length, it was girthy. I didn't have anyone around to take a photo to show how wide its "shoulders" were but it was a little tank. There were much bigger out there but could not hook them. 

08833D57-0DD9-497A-9AA4-2277EBB43103_1_105_c.jpeg.eb4acc3b13b3cdcc72b039f701eb8f67.jpeg

6C940ABB-C4F6-46E3-8316-BF03C3BA8F53_1_105_c.jpeg.a81028d371d55cc601235e41a880d003.jpeg

Nice rod Tom have to check it out -- just got back in town. Probably be bale to head out starting Friday.

Manny

It was pretty wild about 1.5mi N of St. Lucie Inlet this afternoon until dark. I caught this jack around 6:30PM on a silver/black Hogy Pro Paddletail. A few more after that one.

Mullet and smaller bait spraying everywhere. I saw MUCH larger jacks busting bait as well as large tarpon. I had one on for 1 jump and it was gone. Still a blast.

C88BBFD4-95F4-41A2-A594-98E6B590461C.png

2 hours ago, gman1253 said:

Nice rod Tom have to check it out -- just got back in town. Probably be bale to head out starting Friday.

Manny

Manny, welcome back. You may want to check the slime weed situation before bringing fly rod to the beach. That and how far out they are. 

Got to that beach that rhymes with Moral Drove after first light and immediately saw mule school 300 years long. Also saw tarpon jumping both north and south of the steps. Three things that made today different than yesterday.

First, wind shifter around to fully out of the East and picked up a bit.

Second, as a result of Easterlies, the slime weed was at least 5X as bad as yesterday. Nearly impossible to throw any swimming lure without being gunked up in three cranks. I switched to poppers which solved the weed issue, but no love at all. Didn’t see a single person hook up and most guys left early due to weed. 

Third, it was dead low around sunrise and both mullet and tarpon were further out compared to yesterday. I could get out to them bu required either a 3ox Hogy or a big popper. 

Also spoke to some other guys who confirmed no mullet in PB Inlet as yet and none along Singer Island. 

8 hours ago, flyangler said:

Manny, welcome back. You may want to check the slime weed situation before bringing fly rod to the beach. That and how far out they are. 

Got to that beach that rhymes with Moral Drove after first light and immediately saw mule school 300 years long. Also saw tarpon jumping both north and south of the steps. Three things that made today different than yesterday.

First, wind shifter around to fully out of the East and picked up a bit.

Second, as a result of Easterlies, the slime weed was at least 5X as bad as yesterday. Nearly impossible to throw any swimming lure without being gunked up in three cranks. I switched to poppers which solved the weed issue, but no love at all. Didn’t see a single person hook up and most guys left early due to weed. 

Third, it was dead low around sunrise and both mullet and tarpon were further out compared to yesterday. I could get out to them bu required either a 3ox Hogy or a big popper. 

Also spoke to some other guys who confirmed no mullet in PB Inlet as yet and none along Singer Island. 

Thanks Tom -- I'll make sure to bring my heavier spinner & lures.

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, gman1253 said:

Thanks Tom -- I'll make sure to bring my heavier spinner & lures.

Wind shifted around out of the northeast that seems to have eliminated most of the red slime.

Full size and finger mullet this morning though it wasn’t till well after sunrise that things start to get interesting. Small to medium size jacks as well as Tarpon running from 50 pounds to well over 100 got busy around 730. I could not get a touch on anything subsurface, felt the lure touching mullet, but nothing. I tried Hogys, no live bait needed and even a big magdarter. 

I switch to a Roberts on the surface and that led to two jacks nothing particularly large.

879A7DEF-C817-430E-8226-B6E13B1EFD47.jpeg.6915efd463a4c72ac5638115135ef44a.jpeg

Edited by flyangler

44 mins ago, gman1253 said:

roberts whistlers are very under rated & they are reasonably priced to boot!

MG

Later in the run, when the bluefish show up, great fun throwing those into the mix. Tarpon won't take them, but the blues and jacks crush them. 

2 hours ago, flyangler said:

Later in the run, when the bluefish show up, great fun throwing those into the mix. Tarpon won't take them, but the blues and jacks crush them. 

Are you using these specifically because the jacks you were targeting were very far out? If they’re close in would a traditional popping plug or a NY/NJ style pencil popper work on the jacks?

16 hours ago, Bass2Snook said:

It was pretty wild about 1.5mi N of St. Lucie Inlet this afternoon until dark. I caught this jack around 6:30PM on a silver/black Hogy Pro Paddletail. A few more after that one.

Mullet and smaller bait spraying everywhere. I saw MUCH larger jacks busting bait as well as large tarpon. I had one on for 1 jump and it was gone. Still a blast.

C88BBFD4-95F4-41A2-A594-98E6B590461C.png

That’s a great looking fish. Must have been really fun. What is that clip you’re using for the paddle tail? 

11 hours ago, Bass2Snook said:

Are you using these specifically because the jacks you were targeting were very far out? If they’re close in would a traditional popping plug or a NY/NJ style pencil popper work on the jacks?

Yes, and yes, but no and no. 

Jacks will hit anything on top when they are interested in the surface. Today was tough and they ignored a traditional popper. Just not turned on by traditional presentation. All pencils and open face popper will work, normally. Just not today. 

Also, wind in my face at 10-12 made casting almost any other lure a challenge given how far out the fish were. Even a Magdarter was not quite getting the range I needed. 

The Roberts I used was under 2 ounces, maybe 1.75 or even 1.5. With my lighter rod and 30# line, that would have hit the Bahamas. But heavier rod with 40# line and I was getting it out there, but a 2.5ounce Roberts would have been better. 

And bluefish are bluefish, when they get here. 

Edited by flyangler

30 mins ago, WindAndWater said:

That’s a great looking fish. Must have been really fun. What is that clip you’re using for the paddle tail? 

It was a blast. Like a bluefish on crack!

That clip is - get ready - an old-school Duo-Lock snap. I get laughed at for still using them but I’ve never - NEVER - lost a fish as a result of using one.

Edited by Bass2Snook

16 mins ago, Bass2Snook said:

It was a blast. Like a bluefish on crack!

That clip is - get ready - an old-school Duo-Lock snap. I get laughed at for still using them but I’ve never - NEVER - lost a fish as a result of using one.

^^^^ Man who will be switching to TA clips just as soon as he looses a 20# jack or 50# tarpon. :point:

6 hours ago, flyangler said:

^^^^ Man who will be switching to TA clips just as soon as he looses a 20# jack or 50# tarpon. :point:

Lol! I have TA’s but I’ve been too lazy to retie leaders (famous last words).

Same beach this morning and not gamefish. Small pods of mullet but nothing around them. I actually never touched the sand, stood on top of the steps and watched for an hour. Had four different discussions with angler or watchers including our own zcoker who came off the beach in frustration. 

Of course, I had my camera and 600mm long lens so of course nothing photogenic happened....