aneary

Mullet time

Rate this topic

143 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Bocephus said:

I’ll have to get some video for yall.. just yesterday morning as many as 10 snook in the air at one time on mullet And this went on for over an hour 

Can we know approximately where? To the nearest inlet perhaps? 

13 hours ago, flyangler said:

That would be great. There’s plenty of room on FL beaches.

Were the mullet heading south as they were being pursued?

Posted (edited) · Report post

16 hours ago, flyangler said:

2 hours ago, Bass2Snook said:

That would be great. There’s plenty of room on FL beaches.

Were the mullet heading south as they were being pursued?

Mullet were just north of Jupiter Inlet yesterday afternoon and this morning just after sunrise. I was there for the morning slamming by tarpon and big jacks with a shark or two thrown in. I had one tarpon on for 30 seconds and came off on second jump. Lost another on hook set and caught two jacks. 6-8 guys working the blowups and I noted three other jacks landed, no tarpon. All hooked fish were on paddle tails with no touches at all to surface lures, not even the jacks. Most were using Hogy ProTails or NLBN plastics. 

First time using rod I just finished making and it no longer is "untested". So much power in this rod. I couldn't resist color coordinating the lure with the rod's color scheme, and purple did work today, so...

B3F7D4B0-9C8A-4AA2-9C93-5395E152715B_1_105_c.jpeg.f4e1067b8b463e372211dccf8669351e.jpeg

88546287-9FBC-46FB-B76D-0197AC844C55_1_105_c.jpeg.8bbdd4711eb4974f133c3634cb58dbe5.jpeg

A148D748-EBD5-4780-9F06-F212FA20834B_1_105_c.jpeg.9c05bdae8edf800a5337d1810e2bbb2f.jpeg

Is there nothing that NLBN lures cannot catch?

12614736-1663-464D-8916-F5226ACBC24F_1_105_c.jpeg.e8c503e9f4a68ff28de6072a6ba51920.jpeg

This JC fought much bigger than its length, it was girthy. I didn't have anyone around to take a photo to show how wide its "shoulders" were but it was a little tank. There were much bigger out there but could not hook them. 

08833D57-0DD9-497A-9AA4-2277EBB43103_1_105_c.jpeg.eb4acc3b13b3cdcc72b039f701eb8f67.jpeg

6C940ABB-C4F6-46E3-8316-BF03C3BA8F53_1_105_c.jpeg.a81028d371d55cc601235e41a880d003.jpeg

Edited by flyangler

Was out plant shopping with the wifey and we decided to take a ride to a local beach, which is 3.75mi north of St. Lucie Inlet. This was just a few minutes ago. Nothing right on the beach, but we saw what appeared to be acres of black water heading south fairly rapidly. It was also heading toward the shore quickly too, but about a mile south of us. In that area, we saw a crowd of people swimming. Soon, that crowd was surrounded by that black water, and we saw everyone getting out of the surf pretty fast. I’ll try to get down there later today or around dusk, but definitely at dawn tomorrow.

Edited by Bass2Snook

3 hours ago, flyangler said:

This JC fought much bigger than its length, it was girthy. I didn't have anyone around to take a photo to show how wide its "shoulders" were but it was a little tank. There were much bigger out there but could not hook them. 

30 lb Jacks in the Indian river yesterday, a big school of them with wakes as big as dolphins. Terrifying actually when they blew up on a big pod of baitfish. Hooked 2, one spooled me in about 45 secs while I was trying to maneuver my yak, the other towed me a quarter mile. Lost both:(

10 mins ago, Iophon said:

30 lb Jacks in the Indian river yesterday, a big school of them with wakes as big as dolphins. Terrifying actually when they blew up on a big pod of baitfish. Hooked 2, one spooled me in about 45 secs while I was trying to maneuver my yak, the other towed me a quarter mile. Lost both:(

Where is this in the Indian River? North of Stuart?

14 mins ago, Bass2Snook said:

I’ve been wanting to pick up some NLBN’s but I’ve heard that they’re a little fragile, is that true?

Fragile compared to what? Snook can be tough on them as can tarpon. Anything toothy, macs, blues, etc. forget about it.

They sell a glue, but any superglue works for tears. 

No worse than Gambler, etc. IMO. 

Not cheapest by far. 

Those guys are social media marketing geniuses. 

28 mins ago, Iophon said:

those donkeys scare me as well. 30# jack is like a 100# tarpon and nothing like any striped bass that has ever swam. 

Just now, Bass2Snook said:

Like a Tsunami swim bait.

No worse where it matters. I have a couple dozen tsunamis that never make it to the beach anymore 

Just now, flyangler said:

No worse where it matters. I have a couple dozen tsunamis that never make it to the beach anymore 

Oh OK, thanks. I’ll pick up a few tomorrow morning.

6 mins ago, Bass2Snook said:

Oh OK, thanks. I’ll pick up a few tomorrow morning.

Grey or purple, and white, most other colors are gimmicky IMO. 

And DO buy their jig heads, while expensive (relatively) they fit perfectly and do make a different on swimming. I have used other heads and they are not the same. 

Also, when thinking about what weight you want, add up both the plastic and the jig. A 1oz head with the 5" tail is just around 2ozs total weight. 

11 mins ago, flyangler said:

Grey or purple, and white, most other colors are gimmicky IMO. 

And DO buy their jig heads, while expensive (relatively) they fit perfectly and do make a different on swimming. I have used other heads and they are not the same. 

Also, when thinking about what weight you want, add up both the plastic and the jig. A 1oz head with the 5" tail is just around 2ozs total weight. 

Great, thanks. I’ve got a bunch of Tsunamis in mainly bunker pattern and some older Panther Martin Vivifs in pearl. Still, I might as well try the local stuff.

I was planning on getting the NLBN heads too; I’ve always been a fan of big eyes and those heads look sweet.

Edited by Bass2Snook

8 mins ago, Bass2Snook said:

Great, thanks. I’ve got a bunch of Tsunamis in mainly bunker pattern and some older Panther Martin Vivifs in pearl. Still, I might as well try the local stuff.

I was planning on getting the NLBN heads too; I’ve always been a fan of big eyes and those heads look sweet.

I like this color too, though not sure it makes a difference. 

image.jpg