aneary

Mullet time

Rate this topic

143 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Iophon said:

I never strike out. Well not often here :) I caught two blues and a mackerel for dinner. I just didn’t get a snook though they were out there. I only use artificials so there are good days and not so good days. Fishing this September is very good this Season, there’s this evening and tomorrow and next week….can’t complain!

I’m all pumped up! I’m heading out the door soon (couldn’t make it this morning, had some honey-dos the wife asked me to attend to). Hopefully afternoons into dusk are as good and the fish aren’t as picky today.

14 mins ago, Bass2Snook said:

I’ve watched that video a dozen times and it NEVER gets old! 
I guess only tarpon, sharks and jacks crash bait on the surface like that? Snook are more of an underwater attacker?

There is a snook at 0:50 

5 mins ago, snooker said:

There is a snook at 0:50 

In the car and I just got an alert that you quoted me. I slowed it down to 25% playback speed on YT and DAAAAMN - yep, you’re right, that’s a snook! Nice footage of it! I always thought it was a jack because of the yellow. Thanks!!!

2 hours ago, Bass2Snook said:

EXACTLY.

As I said a few posts ago, I’m really starting to feel that a “good” snook outing during the mullet run is a fish or two. I hope that it’s not like that but it sounds like it is. There’s GOTTA be a consistent technique aside from fishing bait…
Now, you said the other “night”? Was this on the beach in the full dark, or late afternoon?

It was sunset and lasted a good 45 minutes. I did not see any tarpon in the mix, mostly snook.

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, savfish said:

It was sunset and lasted a good 45 minutes. I did not see any tarpon in the mix, mostly snook.

Fished until dark today. I struck out again. A couple of pods of mullet here and there, only saw one smallish “break.” Gotta figure out what I’m doing wrong but I know I don’t have forever.

Edited by Bass2Snook

Fished Amelia Island last 3 weekends. This past weekend was first mullet in numbers Ive seen there. Nothing on them. Fishing by fort clinch.

Back in New Symrna Beach today. Mullet all over Canaveral National Seashore. Ranger said tarpon have been showing up on and off. I finally hooked up with a decent size shark on a top water, but busted off.

Had a number of guys fishing yesterday, mostly live mullet. I got a jack and a blacktip that ended up foul hooked. I landed it and removed the hook. We had one smaller tarpon landed, I’m guessing about 40lb. I am seeing the finger mullet heading south but every once and awhile a school of bigger mullet will show and are being chased north. Yesterday there were a few tarpon on the larger baits.

I live close to St. Lucie Inlet. It’s a long walk in the heat to get to it, and even when you do it’s tough to get around to “the inside” because of a lot of coral boulders scattered about (you have to walk into deeper water). I made the walk with one of our sons once just for kicks without tackle. It looks juicy enough. I might be better off fishing that area as my understanding is that even though the snook spawn is winding down the fish will stage around there. Also, inlets are always a decent draw for predators as can be seen up north with stripers.

Wish I could fish today! This rainy weather has me all amped up.

3 hours ago, aneary said:

Had a number of guys fishing yesterday, mostly live mullet. I got a jack and a blacktip that ended up foul hooked. I landed it and removed the hook. We had one smaller tarpon landed, I’m guessing about 40lb. I am seeing the finger mullet heading south but every once and awhile a school of bigger mullet will show and are being chased north. Yesterday there were a few tarpon on the larger baits.

Would a really big plug be a good choice in that scenario?

1 hour ago, Bass2Snook said:

Would a really big plug be a good choice in that scenario?

B2S not really sure. I lost a big Hogy Paddle tail today, I think it was a tarpon but it snapped me off with no jump. Match the bait is my motto. I had 5-6, tarpon feeding around me, lots of bait. 

How does the Mullet run effect the keys if I might ask ?  I’ve never seen large schools blowing up there yet. I’m wondering when it’s common to see it happening down there where I most often fish. Looks absolutely amazing and exciting 

On 9/22/2021 at 5:52 AM, turkaholic said:

How does the Mullet run effect the keys if I might ask ?  I’ve never seen large schools blowing up there yet. I’m wondering when it’s common to see it happening down there where I most often fish. Looks absolutely amazing and exciting 

Sorry, not sure how far the mullet migrate south

On 9/19/2021 at 6:06 PM, Bass2Snook said:

I’ve watched that video a dozen times and it NEVER gets old! 
I guess only tarpon, sharks and jacks crash bait on the surface like that? Snook are more of an underwater attacker?

I’ll have to get some video for yall.. just yesterday morning as many as 10 snook in the air at one time on mullet And this went on for over an hour