aneary

Mullet time

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

Mullet still in Vero. Of course they were a bit out there yesterday and today. Finally netted some after watching tarpon and some big jacks crashing the bait. Hooked a nice jack that broke me off in the wash. After finally netting the mullet a big storm blew in that chased us off the beach.  Always tomorrow

Fished the front on Monday afternoon into dark and then hit a local bridge after dark. On the ocean front well outside the ocean went wild for a while. It was hard to see as it got darker but these were large fish. With my currently limited understanding of what’s running around here I’m gonna guess they were large tarpon or maybe sharks, but that wouldn’t be mullet that far out, would it?

Been fun. Catching lots of Spanish, jacks, lady fish. Hooked a tarpon but that lasted one jump, hooked a few sharks that ended up with bite offs.

the fish below was released to the fish that took the back half. He came up on the flat looking for the second course. 
tight lines.

F01D6E20-6A88-4D2F-861F-AECB8C198CF3.jpeg

I tried this morning before false dawn to only about 8:30AM. Numerous pods of mullet streaming by. At dawn the mullet were getting harassed by “something” right in the wash. I tried swim baits, plugs - not a tap. A few guys to my left tossing live bait 20-30’ off the beach, nothing for them either. A few shallow draft boats zipped up to the area and started fishing about a good cast off the beach - again, nothing for them either. I am north of Juno (which seems to be where I’m hearing most of the action is occurring) so maybe it’s just not solidified by me yet ( or I’m doing everything wrong).

Edited by Bass2Snook

13 hours ago, Bass2Snook said:

. I tried swim baits, plugs - not a tap.

Two things work for me…sometimes… piss them off with topwater. That’s got me three slot snook this September. Swimming a bucktail under the mayhem. That has also worked in the past. Neither worked this morning!

7 mins ago, Iophon said:

Two things work for me…sometimes… piss them off with topwater. That’s got me three slot snook this September. Swimming a bucktail under the mayhem. That has also worked in the past. Neither worked this morning!

I tried small old-style Cordell pencil poppers (from my NY striper fishing) but also some new Yo-Zuri  Topkocks. I bought a couple each in bone, gold/black and mullet. Naturally I started with the mullet but switched to the other two colors when I struck out on those.

Wow, you struck out this AM? Will it get a little better as the month goes on and the mullet increase in numbers?

Do snook ever “blitz” bait like some fish do in the New England area, or are they more stealthy feeders? The pods of mullet seemed to be getting harassed by small schools of predators or even just single specimens.

Edited by Bass2Snook

I never strike out. Well not often here :) I caught two blues and a mackerel for dinner. I just didn’t get a snook though they were out there. I only use artificials so there are good days and not so good days. Fishing this September is very good this Season, there’s this evening and tomorrow and next week….can’t complain!

I found myself in a full on Snook blowing up mullet blitz last week. They were surprisingly picky, I saw five or six caught on live mullet and I got a nice one on a swim bait. It lasted about 45 minutes right before dark.  I grew up on Long Island and anytime I found Stripers or blues on bait like this, most times it was game on.  Definitely not the case the other night.

2 hours ago, savfish said:

I found myself in a full on Snook blowing up mullet blitz last week. They were surprisingly picky, I saw five or six caught on live mullet and I got a nice one on a swim bait. It lasted about 45 minutes right before dark.  I grew up on Long Island and anytime I found Stripers or blues on bait like this, most times it was game on.  Definitely not the case the other night.

EXACTLY.

As I said a few posts ago, I’m really starting to feel that a “good” snook outing during the mullet run is a fish or two. I hope that it’s not like that but it sounds like it is. There’s GOTTA be a consistent technique aside from fishing bait…
Now, you said the other “night”? Was this on the beach in the full dark, or late afternoon?

Edited by Bass2Snook

2 hours ago, flyangler said:

I am in my garage putting the finishing touches on a ride I hope to see bent in the next few weeks. Just watch this to wet my whistle.

I’ve watched that video a dozen times and it NEVER gets old! 
I guess only tarpon, sharks and jacks crash bait on the surface like that? Snook are more of an underwater attacker?