aneary

Mullet time

Rate this topic

147 posts in this topic

Bathtub Beach late afternoon into full dark:

Dead until sun was below the horizon, then decent sized pods of mullet started moving by, about 50’ out. Only a couple of sprays and boils here and there. Tried swim baits, plastic-lipped swimmers and even a bottle plug to no avail.

After dark I stuck around and started casting SP Minnows. The bone color started getting me multiple hits on every cast, but I suspected it was ladyfish. I was right - caught a half dozen of them by 8PM. I don’t target them, but they fight surprisingly hard for their size. Better than the skunk.

It’s a bit crazy here, just north of Sebastian inlet. Yesterday I saw kings chasing big mullet within the first sand bar, big schools of 15lb jacks. And everything else…so much bait moving in black clouds close to shore. Might be the most prolific run I’ve seen since I got here 6 years ago. This afternoon all I needed to get a big Jack was throw a topwater into a fray and twitch it. Wild. This is why I moved here! I’m not sure why it’s such a good run this year but I’m not complaining.. and it’s only mid October…

11 hours ago, Iophon said:

It’s a bit crazy here, just north of Sebastian inlet. Yesterday I saw kings chasing big mullet within the first sand bar, big schools of 15lb jacks. And everything else…so much bait moving in black clouds close to shore. Might be the most prolific run I’ve seen since I got here 6 years ago. This afternoon all I needed to get a big Jack was throw a topwater into a fray and twitch it. Wild. This is why I moved here! I’m not sure why it’s such a good run this year but I’m not complaining.. and it’s only mid October…

Can you ask them to head south to Juno area please? 

5 hours ago, flyangler said:

You’ll get them soon. I’ll try to get the sharks to go with them. I git a nice stress test on my gear this morning. Well nice might not be the word. Topwater blue got sharked.  Of course my pliers had just snapped earlier, but I really didn’t want to lose my favorite spook… took 45 mins but I got him in and miraculously the back hook was in the lip so I got the lure out piecing my pliers together, one tug,  and released the beast. That took 10 mins and was very sketchy, frankly terrifying.

I had just serviced and had  respooled my VR125 and was using a leader I haven’t tried before and was hoping for a big fish to test it! I don’t like catching sharks though so I’ll make sure they all go southbound with the mullet. Cheers!

7 hours ago, flyangler said:

I chased a good size school this morning just north of Juno pier. Lots of sharks and some tarpon in the mix. Couldn't keep the sharks from messing up my swimbaits.

Been a while since I’ve seen much going on in my area beaches, so I’ve been focusing on the inside at the wadable bridges (fishing high bridges with bridge nets just isn’t my thing). Tuesday night me and another guy had 2 big tarpon on each - they were crashing mullet - but we lost them at our feet. Only 2 snook for me earlier.

Last night much smaller tarpon at the same spot. No tarpon for me but a 30” snook on a flare hawk.

It’s a good problem to have I suppose, but having nice fish all around you all night with very little to show for it is frustrating!

We are still showing some mullet, not a steady stream but some periodic pods. Yesterday we had a pod go by heading south then a little while later they were being pushed back north by some tarpon and sharks. We’ve been catching some really big  Spanish Mackerel .

1 min ago, aneary said:

We are still showing some mullet, not a steady stream but some periodic pods. Yesterday we had a pod go by heading south then a little while later they were being pushed back north by some tarpon and sharks. We’ve been catching some really big  Spanish Mackerel .

Have you tried epoxy jigs, the type they use for albies, for Spanish? 

10 hours ago, flyangler said:

Have you tried epoxy jigs, the type they use for albies, for Spanish? 

We have, seems like most of the fish are keyed in on live bait. I have caught some blues on metal but not the big Spanish