aneary

Mullet time

Rate this topic

61 posts in this topic

Was on the beach the last couple days, not much happening except I saw what I thought was a few small pods of mullet. Brought down the cast net and sure enough. Nothing on them but, fingers crossed, the beginning of the run. 

It’s way early. Here there’s usually a pre-run of bigger mullet before the finger mullet run. That being said the last few days there have been a fair few schools of finger mullet. Who knows, the climate is changing and it certainly seems to m that fishing patterns are in flux recently, particularly this year. 

I haven’t seen any of the bigger mullet in the ocean yet but in the river the other day I did see a few pods of bigger mullet being harassed. Not sure if they were resident or migratory. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Today we went to the beach. While relaxing in the water at one point we saw a densely packed school of bait swimming north all around us. My wife said “aw, they’re so cute!” but they looked pretty nervous and skittish. When a swell broke on our backs and there was a moderate amount of “cover” suddenly we were surrounded by a school of decent-sized jacks. Of course my wife got a little freaked but she realized they had no interest in us.

A little while later when we were on the sand we saw bigger schools of bait getting crushed by some biiiig fish slashing through them. Judging by the shapes I pegged them as tarpon.

I am almost certain the bait was mullet.

Edited by Bass2Snook

Yes it’s the run early. Here it’s been a full week of it. Big fish are just now catching on. I hope it lasts as long as last year.

9 hours ago, Iophon said:

Yes it’s the run early. Here it’s been a full week of it. Big fish are just now catching on. I hope it lasts as long as last year.

How long did it last in 2020?

It would be helpful for you to clearly list the location of your report or comment. Given this is a run and transitory, there is no "spot burning" in the traditional sense. 

When I was up on Juno Pier on Saturday I saw a acquaintance there I know who gets reports from everywhere. He said he heard there are small numbers of mullet up in Sebastian area. 

48 mins ago, flyangler said:

It would be helpful for you to clearly list the location of your report or comment. Given this is a run and transitory, there is no "spot burning" in the traditional sense. 

When I was up on Juno Pier on Saturday I saw a acquaintance there I know who gets reports from everywhere. He said he heard there are small numbers of mullet up in Sebastian area. 

Hi Tom -- should be back the last week of Sept. - how has the summer been? Any fly fishing luck?

Can't wait to get back - summer fishing was much much worse than last year up here in CT.

MG 

1 hour ago, flyangler said:

I’m vaguely familiar with the spot burning concept. Doesn’t apply here since every species in the surf  moves around. My spot is roughly 3 miles long which is about as far as I care to walk and cast. Location: Latitude 27.946417, longitude -80.495522. 

My “home waters” are around St. Lucie Inlet. We belong to a boat club so on Saturday we took a boat to the St. Lucie Inlet Preserve State Park. After docking we trek to the ocean side, which is a bit of a walk but they actually have a tram service. Anyway, the place is usually barren of people which is just the way we like it. The mullet were there.

So far despite having access to boats I’ve only fished from land which is also the way I prefer to fish. The boat thing is more for the family than me.

I’m hopeful they appear in more easily accessible areas.