Z0rb0

Body hurts from fishing/exercises

Rate this topic

61 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, bdowning said:

I'm in my late 60s, and it comes with the territory. Have a partially torn hip labrum and a partially torn meniscus. So far I've been able to manage both non-surgically with exercise, daily walking, a cortisone shot, and PT. Blew out my right quad 11 years ago, and the repair surgery put me on the bench for 6 months, but that's the only major setback I've had. 

My advice to stave off surgery and get through it is to walk a lot for cardio, stretch a lot, and do strengthening and flexibility exercises for problem areas. Daily, even when you don't feel like it. If you don't know how, ask a PT for help. I very much doubt I'd be doing anywhere near the amount of fishing or anything else in the outdoors otherwise. If the above doesn't reduce the problem to a reasonable level, then it's time to visit the doc. I prefer to stay out of his office. :)

Love this advice and I agree. Gotta know when to back off, then start loading it again. Surgery last resort, and even then gotta check the outcomes of the surgery.

Especially for LBP - terrible long term outcomes 

1 hour ago, Z0rb0 said:

Had my left ACL repaired last year. Was hobbling all over the beach for awhile. What spurred your ACL replacements? Did anything help?

Football, skiing, and the first replacement was a cadaver's archilles tendon, which was they were using in 2002, but it only lasted 10 years before the second one, which is now a cadaver's hamstring done in 2011. The hamstring replacement has held up pretty well. My right knee was football playing for the Rhode Island Rhinos of the old Eastern Football League, where the old Marlboro Shamrocks won the conference almost every year. My knee cap was upside down, cartilage tear, and a partially torn ACL which the doctor shaved down for a partial ACL and a prescription knee brace for skiing and summer lacrosse league. My last cartllage repair in 2016 -the doctor told me that it was basically a limp noodle and basically not there. He said that the other 3 ligaments would strenghten, and I would be all set. I lobbied otherwise, and due to insurance protocols, and my being over 50 years of age, a replacement was ruled out. I have to be careful on the stairs, going down left side first, but it still will give out if I am not paying attention.

Four years of high school football and four years past that with a PG year, college, and the EFL. My high school in NH did not have lacrosse, but I played in a men's NH/VT leaugue, four years in college and Mass. summer leuague until I was 35 and retired after the 2011 ACL replacement. I raced skiing for 5 years, and continued to be a meathead for years after with a lot of bad wipe outs.

I have no cartilage in both knees, but my insurance does cover Eufexa injections twice a year. These are synthetic cartilage with a wide diameter needle the week in a row for each session. These are putting off eventual knee replacements.

I also have a bulging disc, bursitis, and micro fractures in my neck, which the Umass Spine Center doctor in Worcestor ruled out surgery, but recommended anti-inflammatories-complete waste of time with the MRI and office visits if they were not going to go in and fix it.

Best of luck for you going forward, and all the other guys with similar issues. 

Sorry for the Battle of New Orleans video. I messed up copying and pasting a typo I caught after re-reading my post. I meant to say the Euflexa injections are 3 weeks in a row twice a year. when I had "the" instead of three. 

My eyes are getting worse also, and I need to take my glasses off to type and see what I am typing.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'm 57 and still skating, well plan to next week. I haven't since end of July when the summer season ended and I had the tear..no real upper body injuries in my life. . Once in a while back spasms but nothing major. Did have knee arthoscopy in 84 for damaged cartilage. easy cut & suck. 

Other than being fat I think my body is in decent shape. I still feel the Groin pull but will give it a try next Wed. Been going to the gym doing elliptical and other stuff with no issue.  

I have found that I need to limit my casting session with the 11ft rods with big plugs/jigs. 

Edited by WorcBoy

Fully torn labrum, I can’t cast over my shoulder so I side cast. had the surgery but it failed… shoulder dislocates all the time, sometimes in my sleep. Luckily it’s not to painful when fishing 

6 hours ago, bumknee said:

Football, skiing, and the first replacement was a cadaver's archilles tendon, which was they were using in 2002, but it only lasted 10 years before the second one, which is now a cadaver's hamstring done in 2011. The hamstring replacement has held up pretty well. My right knee was football playing for the Rhode Island Rhinos of the old Eastern Football League, where the old Marlboro Shamrocks won the conference almost every year. My knee cap was upside down, cartilage tear, and a partially torn ACL which the doctor shaved down for a partial ACL and a prescription knee brace for skiing and summer lacrosse league. My last cartllage repair in 2016 -the doctor told me that it was basically a limp noodle and basically not there. He said that the other 3 ligaments would strenghten, and I would be all set. I lobbied otherwise, and due to insurance protocols, and my being over 50 years of age, a replacement was ruled out. I have to be careful on the stairs, going down left side first, but it still will give out if I am not paying attention.

Four years of high school football and four years past that with a PG year, college, and the EFL. My high school in NH did not have lacrosse, but I played in a men's NH/VT leaugue, four years in college and Mass. summer leuague until I was 35 and retired after the 2011 ACL replacement. I raced skiing for 5 years, and continued to be a meathead for years after with a lot of bad wipe outs.

I have no cartilage in both knees, but my insurance does cover Eufexa injections twice a year. These are synthetic cartilage with a wide diameter needle the week in a row for each session. These are putting off eventual knee replacements.

I also have a bulging disc, bursitis, and micro fractures in my neck, which the Umass Spine Center doctor in Worcestor ruled out surgery, but recommended anti-inflammatories-complete waste of time with the MRI and office visits if they were not going to go in and fix it.

Best of luck for you going forward, and all the other guys with similar issues. 

Sounds like you know how to live. ****in dope man. 

It seems like I've inherited my mom's stenosis and arthritis. Having issues with my right foot. If I sit on the ground or a hard surface for an extended period if time, the right foot goes completely numb/dead. It began bothering me turkey hunting a few years ago. Had a major issue on the canal the other night, the foot was so numb, it didn't work! Unable to stand.  Once I stand, the circulation returns within seconds, and feeling returns. Whatever is causing it appears to be originating from my lower back. Walking is fine, but standing or sitting for extended periods, need to be careful.

Bulging discs in my neck, c-4, c-5 will be with me forever. 

Lost my left lung in 1985, and for the first time in my life I notice it a bit.  Dr. Tells me this likely is a result of retirement, and not being as active as I used to be. Going to have to improve on this going forward.

Posted (edited) · Report post

At 63 I'm not pulling all nighters anymore, but back in the day it was doable. For many years I did have R side low back tightness, pain, often sciatica. And, R side neck and shoulder problems a lot of the time. I work as an Applied Kinesiology chiropractor in the office of one of the top AK teachers in the world, and using what I've learned in my practice, I've fixed what I had going on, and no more back, neck, knee or shoulder problems. I sprained my R ankle bad at age 9, and that foot was weak, and pronated for decades as a result. This led to a pattern of pelvis / sacroiliac instability due to the glutes being inhibited on that side. Once that happens, the low back and neck gets really tight 24 / 7 and that causes pain, and arthritis, and often knee, hip, and shoulder problems, even carpal tunnel type stuff. I fixed it starting with good orthotics to support the pronated foot, then exercises to strengthen muscles supporting that foot and the lower leg bones. Along with specific L/R glute exercises to make sure the R glute max got stronger, to support the pelvis. My other problem was a couple of L shoulder sprains with partial separation at the acromio-clavicular joint, out where the collarbone meets the acromion, in1982 and 1995, This is a common injury, and shuts down all the rotator cuff muscles on that side, long term. This scenario causes very tight upper traps on that side, leading to neck pain, artheritis, and cranial twisting. I've figured out specific exercises to stabilize that joint, and as long as I keep doing them, I'm OK. Key points are, sprains often lead to long term instability if not specifically fixed, and second, got to start with the feet. If a foot is not happy, every thing above it will be unhappy.

Dr Steve

Edited by cbchurch

Most people don't know i have two bad hands. My left hand was severely burned and i have about 25 percent strength in that hand. I put a knife threw my right hand when i was young.My pinky finger curls up when its cold on that hand.Both of my hands ache at times.I  learn to live with the pain.

2 hours ago, hotfishgirl said:

Most people don't know i have two bad hands. My left hand was severely burned and i have about 25 percent strength in that hand. I put a knife threw my right hand when i was young.My pinky finger curls up when its cold on that hand.Both of my hands ache at times.I  learn to live with the pain.

Jesse your last comment with learning to live with the pain [no matter how bad] can be a trying experience. Pain can manifest into many other problems as we get older if we do not learn how to manage it and that is from own personal experiences over many different pain issues in my life. it has been through fishing that i have had an opportunity to deal with some of it over time. At least we keep moving and that in the end is what counts. Peace and Prayers my friend

9 hours ago, bob_G said:

It seems like I've inherited my mom's stenosis and arthritis. Having issues with my right foot. If I sit on the ground or a hard surface for an extended period if time, the right foot goes completely numb/dead. It began bothering me turkey hunting a few years ago. Had a major issue on the canal the other night, the foot was so numb, it didn't work! Unable to stand.  Once I stand, the circulation returns within seconds, and feeling returns. Whatever is causing it appears to be originating from my lower back. Walking is fine, but standing or sitting for extended periods, need to be careful.

Bulging discs in my neck, c-4, c-5 will be with me forever. 

Lost my left lung in 1985, and for the first time in my life I notice it a bit.  Dr. Tells me this likely is a result of retirement, and not being as active as I used to be. Going to have to improve on this going forward.

Hmmm dang that right foot thing stinks.

I love hearing these stories. Across all ages movement seems to be the giver of life. 

8 hours ago, cbchurch said:

At 63 I'm not pulling all nighters anymore, but back in the day it was doable. For many years I did have R side low back tightness, pain, often sciatica. And, R side neck and shoulder problems a lot of the time. I work as an Applied Kinesiology chiropractor in the office of one of the top AK teachers in the world, and using what I've learned in my practice, I've fixed what I had going on, and no more back, neck, knee or shoulder problems. I sprained my R ankle bad at age 9, and that foot was weak, and pronated for decades as a result. This led to a pattern of pelvis / sacroiliac instability due to the glutes being inhibited on that side. Once that happens, the low back and neck gets really tight 24 / 7 and that causes pain, and arthritis, and often knee, hip, and shoulder problems, even carpal tunnel type stuff. I fixed it starting with good orthotics to support the pronated foot, then exercises to strengthen muscles supporting that foot and the lower leg bones. Along with specific L/R glute exercises to make sure the R glute max got stronger, to support the pelvis. My other problem was a couple of L shoulder sprains with partial separation at the acromio-clavicular joint, out where the collarbone meets the acromion, in1982 and 1995, This is a common injury, and shuts down all the rotator cuff muscles on that side, long term. This scenario causes very tight upper traps on that side, leading to neck pain, artheritis, and cranial twisting. I've figured out specific exercises to stabilize that joint, and as long as I keep doing them, I'm OK. Key points are, sprains often lead to long term instability if not specifically fixed, and second, got to start with the feet. If a foot is not happy, every thing above it will be unhappy.

Dr Steve

Thanks Dr. Steve. Love that last line and couldnt agree more.

1 hour ago, Z0rb0 said:

Hmmm dang that right foot thing stinks.

I love hearing these stories. Across all ages movement seems to be the giver of life. 

Yea, I mildly broke the ankle about 30 years ago. My mom placed a brick on her front stairs, I didn't see it, stepped on it, and fell down the entire flight.  Ankle swelled up like a balloon and turned purple.  The next day was opening day of bird season, and my two dogs were ready to go.  So I laced up my boot tight, and hunted on it, the whole season.

Seven years ago something snapped in the same leg while turkey hunting.  Same foot, swelled up, and that's when it became chronic. Plus I have gout in that foot.  As a result of all of the above, my right foot is two sizes larger than my left.