Z0rb0

Body hurts from fishing/exercises

Rate this topic

61 posts in this topic

Just out of curiosity - who has experienced some type of pain/lack of fitness that keeps you from fishing the way you want to fish?

Elbows, backs, whatever. Tell me your story.

I have been dealing with a left oblique strain from casting :point:

Seven knee surguries including 2 ACL replacements on the left, and an old ACL reconstruction on the right with no functioning ACL presently, right elbow surgery, and rotator cuff/scar tissue clean out on right shoulder. I had one canal trip this year, but after an hour, my shoulder gets tight, and my distance gets shorter with less stamina.

PP Bridge is a better option where I can drift chunks without tons of long casts.

Had my left ACL repaired last year. Was hobbling all over the beach for awhile. What spurred your ACL replacements? Did anything help?

I've been fishing with a 70% torn rotator cuff for well over a year. I also have a bone spur in the shoulder joint. I started PT before covid. If I knew covid was going to eff up everything for so long I would had surgery for it in Jan of '21. I've been doing PT since it reopened, mostly to manage the aches & pains of doing 12 hour all nighters while throwing 2 -  6 oz lures. PT improved my shoulder about 80-85% but it won't get me over the hump.

I'm looking to go under the knife in January '22 to clean it up.

1 min ago, zak-striper said:

I've been fishing with a 70% torn rotator cuff for well over a year. I also have a bone spur in the shoulder joint. I started PT before covid. If I knew covid was going to eff up everything for so long I would had surgery for it in Jan of '21. I've been doing PT since it reopened, mostly to manage the aches & pains of doing 12 hour all nighters while throwing 2 -  6 oz lures. PT improved my shoulder about 80-85% but it won't get me over the hump.

That’s great. What’s the rehab like for from that cuff surgery? Make sure you know exactly what you’re getting into - speaking from experience unfortunately 

Posted (edited) · Report post

6 mins ago, Z0rb0 said:

That’s great. What’s the rehab like for from that cuff surgery? Make sure you know exactly what you’re getting into - speaking from experience unfortunately 

I need to talk with my orthopedic some more to get a better idea. I expect my shoulder to be mostly unuseable for a couple of months, hence getting it done in January. I've been a gym rat since college so I work out a lot. I do my current PT exercises religously so my shoulder will be in really great shape when I go under the knife. I'll be just as dedicated to the post surgery rehab. I don't fish much between Jan - Mar. By the time April fishing heats up, I should be able to do freshwater while I'm getting my shoulder back in shape.

How long did you have a sling and how long was your shoulder immobilized?

Edited by zak-striper

10 mins ago, zak-striper said:

You are one tough guy. 12 hours of casting is something I would never be able to do at my current fitness level. I have started going to the gym and being more serious about my fitness, so hopefully next season I will be stronger

48 mins ago, Z0rb0 said:

Just out of curiosity - who has experienced some type of pain/lack of fitness that keeps you from fishing the way you want to fish?

Elbows, backs, whatever. Tell me your story.

I have been dealing with a left oblique strain from casting :point:

My biggest issue is casting an 11ft rod for too long. I usually throw 3oz-4oz lures, sometimes 2oz, but my back wears out pretty easily. I have to take breaks every so often to keep going. If something takes a swipe at my lure though, I can usually cast for longer

I'm in my late 60s, and it comes with the territory. Have a partially torn hip labrum and a partially torn meniscus. So far I've been able to manage both non-surgically with exercise, daily walking, a cortisone shot, and PT. Blew out my right quad 11 years ago, and the repair surgery put me on the bench for 6 months, but that's the only major setback I've had. 

My advice to stave off surgery and get through it is to walk a lot for cardio, stretch a lot, and do strengthening and flexibility exercises for problem areas. Daily, even when you don't feel like it. If you don't know how, ask a PT for help. I very much doubt I'd be doing anywhere near the amount of fishing or anything else in the outdoors otherwise. If the above doesn't reduce the problem to a reasonable level, then it's time to visit the doc. I prefer to stay out of his office. :)

Also try shorter outings, and allow more rest between them. My days of 12 hr casting and all nighters are long gone. 

I tore a groin muscle playing hockey 2 days before cape cod vacation this year. I was smart and when I felt it tear I got right off the ice and didn't push it. Iced it but still felt it. It was tough walking in the soft sand and even worst on the rock field. It turned Black and Blue bad by that Sunday. Limited how far down the beach I'd walk to fish every morning, but I did anyways. Surprisingly it was OK on the paddleboard. Calves felt worse. 

12 mins ago, Richard_the_Aughth said:

You are one tough guy. 12 hours of casting is something I would never be able to do at my current fitness level.

I played a lot of sports over the years. And I've been a gym rat since college so I'm used to it. Also, being Polish & German, I'm stubborn as all hell and have a high tolerance for aches & pains that borders on freakish.  :) 

I coach a lot of baseball and all the BP i throw i have bad tennis elbow.  It kills when fishing, pencil poppers are the worst to fish but casting in general hurts.

Well I've worked hard in construction my whole life and in my younger days with five kids I would fish nights to sell bass then go to work day job.

From smashed left knee on the bar to scaring the crap out of my wife coming through

the back door with my intestines' pushing out my t shirt.

The Doc just pushed them back with his thumb. all is well just fish a little softer.

YA gota love it!

1 hour ago, zak-striper said:

I need to talk with my orthopedic some more to get a better idea. I expect my shoulder to be mostly unuseable for a couple of months, hence getting it done in January. I've been a gym rat since college so I work out a lot. I do my current PT exercises religously so my shoulder will be in really great shape when I go under the knife. I'll be just as dedicated to the post surgery rehab. I don't fish much between Jan - Mar. By the time April fishing heats up, I should be able to do freshwater while I'm getting my shoulder back in shape.

How long did you have a sling and how long was your shoulder immobilized?

That’s an ideal scenario. I rehab quite a few shoulders at work (pt/post pt). Entirely depends on the specific surgery you’re having done.

Bone spurs typically have to be shaved (if symptomatic) but sometimes partial RC tears can heal with a bunch of rehab.

43 mins ago, Kooky said:

I coach a lot of baseball and all the BP i throw i have bad tennis elbow.  It kills when fishing, pencil poppers are the worst to fish but casting in general hurts.

That’s a tough one