braticus

Book suggestion, Baitfish?

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hello,

Looking for some suggestions on good books about saltwater baitfish, mainly in New England (I mostly fish in MA), and/or North East. The more local the better. Something that's more focused on what kinds, migratory patterns, cycles, what and where they feed, etc.. 

-Thank you!

Edited by braticus

A Fly-Fisher's Guide to to Saltwater Naturals and Their Imitation by George V. Roberts. George is a former local (New England) casting instructor. The first two-thirds of the book is full of illustrations of all the northeastern baitfish and instructive descriptions of their habits and habitat. You can ignore the fly-tying photos and patterns and recipes and advice and still get a ton of information.  

River herring( alewives and blue backs) are the first to arrive in March. Pogies, shad squid  and mackerel are soon to follow. They move in to spawn.   

The smaller bait fish are around in mid summer through fall. Juvy blue fish, juvy herring, peanut bunker, bay anchovies, silver sides and spearing.  The mullet move in off Ri and maybe the cape in the fall with the sea herring 

There was a Rhode Island guy (or possibly CT, but fished RI), first name Allen, can't remember last. He wrote a fly fishing book, or more than one. I know he was working on a baitfish book at one time. He even photographed some butterflyfish I had in my bucket one time.

I can't remember if that baitfish book came out or not.

some of the old books from the 50s and 60s covered baitfish pretty well. I 'll dig them up in the morning and post some info.

13 hours ago, Broadbill said:

A Fly-Fisher's Guide to to Saltwater Naturals and Their Imitation by George V. Roberts. George is a former local (New England) casting instructor. The first two-thirds of the book is full of illustrations of all the northeastern baitfish and instructive descriptions of their habits and habitat. You can ignore the fly-tying photos and patterns and recipes and advice and still get a ton of information.  

X2

On 9/2/2021 at 4:00 PM, mikez2 said:

There was a Rhode Island guy (or possibly CT, but fished RI), first name Allen, can't remember last. He wrote a fly fishing book, or more than one. I know he was working on a baitfish book at one time. He even photographed some butterflyfish I had in my bucket one time.

I can't remember if that baitfish book came out or not.

This the one you talking about ? P9040006.JPG.93731edf2ee886cab855b7ea93e31d8e.JPG

X 3 for George Roberts. Although not specific to bait fish Ray Bondorew's book Stripers and Streamers has flies specific to bait and lots of tactics type information.

4 hours ago, KidDkivahh said:

This the one you talking about ? P9040006.JPG.93731edf2ee886cab855b7ea93e31d8e.JPG

Yes!

I'm embarrassed to say I never bought it. Only because I never saw it anywhere and pretty much forgot about it. 

I used to fish alongside Alan and he talked about it but wasn't sure he finished it.