Dan Tinman

Wet Ammo. What can I do about it?

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Hurricane Ida has given me more water in my basement than I've had in 40 years.  Several boxes of ammo got wet, mostly shotgun shells.  What can I do to salvage them?

16 mins ago, NonTypical said:

Maybe put them in rice? Works for cellphones. Probably will be fine, but it can’t hurt. 

Thanks for the reply.  Gonna need a lot of rice.  I've got 500 or more rounds wet.

12 mins ago, Dan Tinman said:

Sounds logical.  Anything else?

Not much you can do.

Completely submerged could mean water in the shotgun shell. 

Drain, dry quickly. 

I wouldn't bet my life on these... 

Posted (edited) · Report post

My friend, you need to give an honest description of how wet they got.... Not one from the point of view who has a vested interest. If there are signs of water getting inside the shells, I would not even test fire them. Sent you a link.

Edited by nightfighter

15 mins ago, nightfighter said:

My friend, you need to give an honest description of how wet they got.... Not one from the point of view who has a vested interest. If there are signs of water getting inside the shells, I would not even test fire them. Sent you a link.

Thanks for the link.  The advice there is very cautious and they advise to just dispose of it all.  I'm currently spreading it all out (about 500 rounds all together) and air drying it in the sunshine.  Half of the shotshells are sealed double ought buckshot and look ok.  The hulls are transparent and you can clearly see the wads and shot.  No evidence of moisture.  The rest are Winchester bird shot rounds and you can't see the interior.  After air drying I'll use the suggested rice trick and them open a few to see how they look inside.  Probably test fire after that if they look OK.

IMO rice would be a waste of time. Either they got water inside or they didn’t. Rice won’t help if they did. Modern factory shells are probably fine if not under water long.

If it was metallic cartridges - I'd say just dry them off.

However, with shot shells - the crimp at the top of the case may not be watertight. 

That means the powder and primers might be comprised.

You can dry them out but don't expect them to run full power (or the primers might be kaput).

In that case - you can salvage the shell, wadding, and shot if you reload (or somebody else does).   You're going to want to dry these out in any event.

After a close examination it appears only about 30% of the bird shot shells are possible compromised.  I've separated them and will try the drying and testing procedure I listed in Post# 10 above.  At this point I've got nothing to lose and we all may learn something.

Thanks for everybody's input.

Just a reminder...  Be very aware that any of these shells may leave the wad and shot column stuck in the barrel.  Sorta like a squib load and bore obstruction.  Wouldn't want to fire a second round after one that's a dud.  :eek:

Many good posts. Just use common sense when firing them. If they go BANG, all good, if they go puff or pop, then check the barrel for an obstruction BEFORE FIRING ANOTHER SHOT.