UncleJohn

September 2021 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

723 posts in this topic

Central OC this morning right after sunrise, start of incoming past high to start of outgoing.  Steady light NW wind.  Clean, green, sudsy water and good waves as described above.  
Saw small groups of mullet in the wave faces up and down the beach.  No fish in them.  Then the oil slicks of bait showed up on the farthest out bar just out of everybody's casting range.  Could see the cloud of bait in the wave faces out far.  I moved a mile or so north and the schools were there, too.  Don't know if it was bunker or mullet.  Could see something streaking through the schools.  Don't know if it was blues, stripers or the bait itself.  Eventually, I was able to drop a blue and white little neck popper into a school but nothing took it.  

After the school moved on I swam the popper and eventually found two blues, 3 or 4 pounders.  A lot of hours for a pair of fish.  Only saw 1 other blue caught earlier in the morning.  No stripers or fluke.

2 hours ago, PSUFly said:

Spent a week on vacation in south Jersey...plenty of bass, both on foot and in the kayak.   Good amount of weakfish (nothing huge, probably all 16 to 20") and bluefish.   Tried getting my daughter on some snapper blues but they weren't cooperating 

20210920_035008.jpg

20210924_103033.jpg

20210924_064653.jpg

20210922_060437.jpg

20210922_033020.jpg

20210922_060524.jpg

20210921_171853.jpg

20210924_051608.jpg

Do you fly fish from your kayak?

Stopped for fresh mullet this afternoon in CMC and hit the beach.  Nothing doing late afternoon. Looks good now though from here in the condo. 

Edited by BassTracker

My buddy gave me his keys to the boat today. Ran outta BI early and got into many bluefish. Got really crowded and split

because people on boats are just as f’d up as beach muggers. :eek:Incredible…….

Bunker from the inlet all the way to seaside. Stuff running through but couldn’t hook up on any live baits. 
Went further south down to little egg inlet and bunker all the way down. Nothing on them. 

Over all had a great day on the water with my lady. It’s really cool to watch her hook up, fight the fish and hand me the rod to get the bluefish off. And she handled the boat like a champ. 
God is so good to me!!!

Eeeeels……

First a shout out to the Dads that take their kids fishing. 

Fished the afternoon outgoing out back. Guys said 11 o'clock blues came through good size fish, a few 10lb on a stinger sloshing in the almost wash. Moved away from the few guys still casting and found blues from 5lb to 10lb on a top water, a yellow Phat Phoam Gurgler lasted until I left at 4:30. Most acrobatic blues I've encountered in long time, unbelievable action on the 7wgt. Here's one of my old picture of a bluefish because its nice to see a blue and there's no difference.

FB_IMG_1632359672738.jpg

2 hours ago, JimK said:

Do you fly fish from your kayak?

Yeah...its not ideal as far as managing the fly line in the kayak, but it definitely gets me into more fish (even though kayak fish probably don't count :) )

Great job taking the kids fishing!

Observation report. I was at a beach wedding in MoCo this evening. I spent most of my time watching huge clouds of peanuts swimming by unmolested. A center console.stopped and floated through them looking for action but found none.

8 hours ago, JohnnyG said:

Bait everywhere today but just barely out of range most of the time.  My kid got two shorts today. His first surf fish casting plugs on his own.  Proud dad today!  I found a handful of blues and a fluke.   He also reminded me that bass are better than blues and I didn’t get any bass….

6A03829B-27BD-48BC-9892-2FBE1DBBF28C.jpeg

F59D294A-49A9-4FA3-90B4-4EF8C9B97407.jpeg

Best report I’ve seen here all month.  Looks like a pro with the taped light around his neck.  I’m looking for a guide.  Let me know if he is available.  

Snuck out yest on the outgoing. Quick afternoon session. Lots goin on. Peanuts being sprayed by medium blues, fluke, and im always convinced bass even though they didnt show themselves. 3 blues in a short amount of time. Nothin over 5lbs. Guy next to me reeled in a fluke that bit metal. looked 16 inches or so. Felt fall like out there. 

Edited by joefishnj21