September 2021 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

UncleJohn

fished smco 6-8am big rollers and water a little off color but not bad.bunker in the same place as usual with perhaps small blues around.strong n to s sweep. Missed 1 probable blue on a 2oz crippled herring. nothing on plugs. There was a small school of fish about 6-7inches  that would come up on the beach right next to the jetty south pocket and then scurry back. looked maybe like medium snappers.

@Qwik 

@ridenfish

and others. 

please let me know when the heat breaks and the no see ums are gone.  I chewed on a few dozen last night.  I need more princess fishing with better conditions.  Im only fishing when its below 60 degrees.   Please note this befofe you call me to fish

thanks

OC this morning around sunrise.  Water isn’t as bad as I thought it would be.  Definitely stained.  Nice rolling water with a NE wind and no seaweed.  Tons of baitfish around.  Adult bunker came over the bar a couple of times but nothing really on them.  Saw what I thought were mullet jumping out of the surf but may have been peanuts.  Caught cocktails blues and a couple of fluke which were all spitting up peanuts.  Still looking for this years September striper.

Fished yesterday, last hurrah for fluke for me. Came back empty handed. Out front was tough with big stained water so I made a move and fished the back. I ended up catching 5 fluke with the biggest being about 16”. At one point I about had the rod ripped out of my hands and promptly got bit off. Must have been a larger blue. 

Right before I left, a big school of bunker moved in close with what looked like small blues on them. Spoke to a few guys throughout the day complaining how slow it was. 

Now time to start the search for bass and blues. Mullet aside it’s good to see all the bait but it could be long gone by the time the main body of bass show up. Guess we’ll be relying on the sand eels to show again if that’s the case. 

Out front central OC 8:30 - 11:30 today.   Hard north wind and sloppy conditions.  Water was kind of dirty.

Found 4 fluke, no keepers, one 16" I somehow hooked in the middle of its back.  Never did that before.

Saw small number of mullet happily swimming north in the face of breaking waves.  Threw some imitations but nothing was on them.  Heard guys were  catching blues a bit north of me.

2 hours ago, adams54 said:

Went out last night on the dropping tide. Decided to stay clear of asbury. They had something huge going on. Still could hear it a few towns away. Sounded good i must say. Had a nice fish on that made 2 runs on me when it came loose. Very frustrating.

Patti Smith and Pearl Jam along with other supporting acts.  Patti Smith was awesome.  PJ awesome.  Dr Doc was pretty cool too.

Went out yesterday evening and just found a lot of cabbage in the water and no fish.  Out again this evening and water was clean and clear with a rolling surf.  Saw one little school of mullet not being chased.  Did find one small striper and a fluke both on bugs in the wash line.  Hoping this week is the week the mullet make their move and the stripes follow.