UncleJohn

September 2021 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

723 posts in this topic

MoCo this AM, beginning of outgoing, light SSW. Flat ocean, clean water and little surf action. One pod of happy bunker pushing north out of range. 1 for 2 on fluke and a star gazer. Lost a good fluke in the wash. May get  out later this evening.

Nothing for me last night. Thought i might run into stacked bait to make things interesting but nope. Kinda made a poor choice with the tide I chose...start of incoming. Set myself up for failure.

1 hour ago, suntzu said:

Whale definitely putting a dent in the bunker population this morning First foe me - hit my the spray of a breaching whale! Nothing else going on

Live lining for whales?

2 hours ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

South wind.................what else.

Yes, it’s less than ideal.

Forecasted to crank up this afternoon.

Hope they’re wrong. If they’re not, hope it doesn’t screw things up too badly.

JD

On 9/13/2021 at 7:14 PM, suntzu said:

Didn’t fish this evening Had 3 headlamps which my nephews destroyed last month when I taught them that striped bass feed in the dark, and they lost their collective minds fishing hard every night for week beaching a bunch of fish. Mcyvered one that worked until it fell apart last night at 1:30. Went out to get a new one this evening and left $150 poorer as i guess I needed much more than a new lamp although the one i got is sweet, has a red high candle power and is rechargeable 

Yeah, but you didn’t share what else you got? Plugs?

I even live vicariously through OPP other people’s purchases - not just their reports. 

Last night, hit on every cast but probably only connected on around 75%. Some of the fluke are really, really small.

Had one that looked to be a keeper in the wash but it spit the hook. Since I have scaled down from a 1/2 oz to a 1/4 oz bucktail, I’m noticing way more hits on the BT but also noting that I’m sometimes dropping bigger fish, which shouldn’t be the case. I’m thinking the gulp on the smaller bucktail just doesn’t allow enough hook to be exposed? Got my light bass rod for after the sun went down, but no love besides a few fluke taps.

Either way, nice night to be out. 

Edited by VF96

15 mins ago, suntzu said:

I stopped fishing because I was seriously afraid I was going to hook him

337B3E81-5E51-494F-A7D2-CA0FDDD00891.jpeg

59DDADA3-CB8F-45D4-B727-2BC742D3E265.jpeg

These photo's are such an overused "E word"...

They truly warrant Epic labeling, IMO. What a shot!

Edited by Basswiper

Not much changed from yesterday except for the wind.  As others have said, lots of bunker still around all out of range.  They were getting nervous at times, just not getting pushed to shore.  Picked one small blue on a surface plug and first sea robin in a very long time on some metal.  Waiting on that wind to move to the NNE.