luckyOC

Delmarva Fishin' Reports - September 2021

Rate this topic

67 posts in this topic

I don't mind the butterfly rays or southerns, can usually get them in under 15min. Those rough tails are a whole nother animal. This one was about 5 foot wide and 10 foot to the tail. I'm not looking forward to messing with one anytime soon 

13 hours ago, Stryper Snyper said:

72 wingtip to wingtip

Some years back I hooked into a big one.  I was gonna break it off but Striper Steve (remember him?) wanted to pull on it.  An hour or so later he got it on the beach...74" as I remember.  

Ya'll kindly clean out those biters & flatties before I get up there next week. 

22 hours ago, Critter Gitter said:

Yeah but the lead aint cheap.  You stuck with it. Should have been rewarded with some scales.  Did you switch to wire?  Drum sure aint leader shy.

Hey Dave, I have a lot of data to work with lol as I missed a ton of critters.  Very humbling.  Only a handful of the misses were cut on the hook leader where wire would have helped, most were above the terminal swivel, and in many cases way above the 3 feet of 80#  rub leader., and into the 40# shock line.  Many were a result of the shark gulping the hook line and sinker on the initial hit , and the rest were probably  a result of the tail/body rubbing against the line.   The real way to do it would  have been to go 100% shark rig, with 10 feet of abrasion resistant leader and a wire rig, with a larger rod and reel  but I don't do that.  Not sure I could cast it anyway and I am sure not swimming it out. :-)

And I did not even see a skate or dogfish, I left them all for SteveZ.

Edited by Steve Coleman

Wernt lying about the shark and rays, wed was non stop shark. 47 to be exact all balcktips and spinners from 5 ft to just shy of 7ft. 3 casts back to back I was spooled. Fast as hell and never slowed down. Then the rays shown up, 6 rods between 2 of us and at one point 4 went down all at the same time, all were butterfly rays. Thurs seemed the shark cleared out but the southern rays were thick, when they cleared the roughtails moved in. Spot was thick until the shark and rays moved in. In the middle of all this I did manage to pull out a few reds. All in the low to mid 40s. The one I had literally just released a blacktip and re casted, before I could flip the lever to lock the reel it was dumping line. I horsed it in figuring another shark until I seen the tail come up. Lost a lot of lead and hooks over 2 days. Several times wanted to give up feeding the shark and rays but glad I stayed with it. Totals from wed thru Friday morning, 62 shark, 40 rays, 5 reds. 

Sweet Probably time to change drag washers Dave lol.  I know the Reds are targeted species but nothing like Blacktips and Spinners fight and that inital scream but hate it when they roll up to the running line,  Not much you can do about that.  Sure is cool to see the far out jumping like a Tarpon.  Too awesome.

Attached Marks drum got attacked when sharks and drum get mixed. Wonder what ever happen to Humdrum.   Good folk.

I guess you can say that was a bite in the a__.

HumDrum 2001.jpg

Edited by Critter Gitter

What's up peps! just want to let you know, surfed assateague all day yesterday. the whole time there was something busting schools of mullet beyond the outside bar. i love the way mullet flee!

Edited by castinthesurf

12 hours ago, dave sharkman said:

Totals from wed thru Friday morning, 62 shark, 40 rays, 5 reds. 

Thought that was kinda a normal trip for you Dave.  :) 

Won’t be able to deliver hooks to you this fall.  :( 

6 hours ago, Catskill John said:

Thought that was kinda a normal trip for you Dave.  :) 

Won’t be able to deliver hooks to you this fall.  :( 

Believe it or not I haven't been in the surf much since may, maybe half dozen trips, with the beach closures and how popular it has gotten during the summer months now the beach gets pretty beat up and I just don't feel like dealing with it. Been out on the kayak more fishing more secluded areas.. sorry to hear you won't be making it down my friend, hoping all is well and I'll get to catch up with you in the spring. I gotta tell ya the beach isn't the same without all the regulars out there.