TheLuckyStrike

Need some guidance/Block island

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 hours ago, TheLuckyStrike said:

Is the west side a waste of time because of the seals?

Not a waste, you hardly see them on that side during the day. The seals on the west side usually show up at night, swimming and hunting anywhere from 50 - 200 yards off the beach. Right when the sun goes down sometimes you can spot a straight line of them all the way up the side of the island in calm conditions.

They aren't right on top of you and your fish,  hanging out in the wash like they are on the north end. When the seals are hungry up there it is a challenge landing a fish. 

Need some great whites to show up for a feed.

Edited by SIC34

30 mins ago, SIC34 said:

Not a waste, you hardly see them on that side during the day. The seals on the west side usually show up at night, swimming and hunting anywhere from 50 - 200 yards off the beach. Right when the sun goes down sometimes you can spot a straight line of them all the way up the side of the island in calm conditions.

They aren't right on top of you and your fish,  hanging out in the wash like they are on the north end. When the seals are hungry up there it is a challenge landing a fish. 

Really appreciate the insight.  Gave me a great description of what I'm dealing with.  Thanks bro

39 mins ago, SIC34 said:

Wow, I never heard this one before.. How often do you visit the Island?

43 mins ago, levari said:

Wow, I never heard this one before.. How often do you visit the Island?

What have you never heard before? 

I've been there plenty, this will be my 13th consecutive year, some years multiple trips. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

55 mins ago, SIC34 said:

What have you never heard before? 

I've been there plenty, this will be my 13th consecutive year, some years multiple trips. 

I’ve never heard that the seals are an issue fishing along the west side...all the way from south west side to Charleston beach.

Edited by levari

5 mins ago, levari said:

I’ve never heard that the seals are an issue fishing along the west side...all the way from south west side to Charleston beach.

I haven't seen them in numbers at SW point but I have seen them lined up in both coves up to Charleston on multiple occasions.  Spaced evenly at about 100 yards or so a part. They stay a bit off the beach so I wouldn't call it an issue... and its pretty hard to tell what,  if any effect it had on fishing.  There usually seems to be some fish around. 

That being said, the W side still isn't on my list of top spots to fish when I'm there unless the conditions force me to be there.

Levari, how long have you lived there?

I'm with Levari, I've spent 2-3 weeks on the island every year for about 8 years (minus the past two years unfortunately) never really had any issues with seals on the west side of the island, or any part for that matter. Probably encountered 3 seals, usually in July when it's hot as balls. Not saying they aren't there, but just never really noticed them.

8 hours ago, IsmailG said:

I'm with Levari, I've spent 2-3 weeks on the island every year for about 8 years (minus the past two years unfortunately) never really had any issues with seals on the west side of the island, or any part for that matter. Probably encountered 3 seals, usually in July when it's hot as balls. Not saying they aren't there, but just never really noticed them.

Go to the north light webcam, there are 20+ sitting on the north point right now.  Times have changed the last few years unfortunately. 

On 9/14/2021 at 7:45 PM, TheLuckyStrike said:

Really appreciate the insight.  Gave me a great description of what I'm dealing with.  Thanks bro

Let me know how you make out. I'd love to hear your take on the island.  PM me