TheLuckyStrike

Need some guidance/Block island

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, TheLuckyStrike said:

Hey guys,

Planning to hit Block island in a month and  it's my first time.  I have everything needed but one issue that came up is the time slot we can go is on the full moon.  Not my favorite in NJ.  Do any of you have first hand knowledge on fishing the moon up there?  Bass is the target from shore/skishing.  There's one tackle shop there and I did speak with them.  I wanted to see if anyone here has intimate knowledge about fishing the moon up there.  Appreciate the help

I love fishing the full moon phase there, pushes in the bait closer to shore IMO. Had one of my best nights ever with 30 plus bass over 20 pounds during a full moon with cloud cover. Only thing you have to consider is tide height, have to go out during low tide in the day light and pick your perch/rock out because it will be covered for most of the incoming and outgoing tide. A trick I was taught was to put something reflective on the shore line that you can reference by flashing your light on it while swimming out to your destination. Make sure you have some large swimmers on hand, better yet one with an eelskin stretched over it. Good luck.

1 hour ago, TheLuckyStrike said:

I was hoping they would be less active at night 

The whites are more active at night...

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 hours ago, IsmailG said:

I love fishing the full moon phase there, pushes in the bait closer to shore IMO. Had one of my best nights ever with 30 plus bass over 20 pounds during a full moon with cloud cover. Only thing you have to consider is tide height, have to go out during low tide in the day light and pick your perch/rock out because it will be covered for most of the incoming and outgoing tide. A trick I was taught was to put something reflective on the shore line that you can reference by flashing your light on it while swimming out to your destination. Make sure you have some large swimmers on hand, better yet one with an eelskin stretched over it. Good luck.

No wonder the big bass disappeared from the Island after you left the Island.

Edited by levari

Thanks guys for the help. I’ve been everywhere else for the most part but Block I never got around to it.  I’m getting older so didn’t want to wait much longer. I’m super excited and going with a buddy who’s a pro so I don’t have to babysit anyone. I will certainly post how we do. It’s been a terrible couple years for all of us. I’m ready for a break from the bs. Hopefully the damn seals go on vacation while I’m there and I get to skish without the sharks as well 

It’s all relative but if it’s any consolation compared to the cape and Nantucket the seal situation on block island isn’t bad at all, hopefully it doesn’t get any worse but don’t hold your breath…

3 hours ago, TheLuckyStrike said:

ChumslickJon thanks for the laugh !

Don't laugh, he was as serious as a heart attack.  Most of us have forgotten more than that Bellringer  guy knows.

My home port (for now) is Pt. Judith. I've always found more fish the day before and the day after the full moon.

Im not sure what you would define skishing as. And that could be important. If your talking about your feet touching terra firma as a wave recedes than ok. If your talking about 10 12 15 feet deep , watch your butt . If you don’t know the currents and rips you could wind up off the coast. I’ve seen and heard of it happening in montauk on the north side.

3 mins ago, giant basshole said:

Im not sure what you would define skishing as. And that could be important. If your talking about your feet touching terra firma as a wave recedes than ok. If your talking about 10 12 15 feet deep , watch your butt . If you don’t know the currents and rips you could wind up off the coast. I’ve seen and heard of it happening in montauk on the north side.

great point.  For some reason I wasn't as detailed as usual.  Flippers spiked yes.  Swimming far offshore no.  boulders are the destinations and even that I will be dialed in.  But I do appreciate the heads up.  I no longer take the fcked up trips I used to lol.  This is by far my favorite way to get em.  I met Paul long ago and honestly I'm amazed he still does the offshore route this late in the game.  I had some spots in Jersey I used to do it but the **** covered up most of my places with sand .  

On 8/31/2021 at 4:45 PM, Two Rock said:

It’s all relative but if it’s any consolation compared to the cape and Nantucket the seal situation on block island isn’t bad at all, hopefully it doesn’t get any worse but don’t hold your breath…

Don't hold your breath is right.  The guys on Block need to take matters into their own hands like the guys on Nantucket do before it gets out of hand.

Seals on Block suck. Mostly the North Point and the entire west side. Been going years and years. Last 5 years have gotten exponentially worst. At some spots the seals wait for you to hook up so they can eat and take your plug.

FYI, after Columbus Day at least 3/4 of the bars and restaurants shut down. Slimmer pickings.

Otherwise good luck and have fun...beautiful place.

On 9/3/2021 at 8:48 PM, SIC34 said:

Seals on Block suck. Mostly the North Point and the entire west side. Been going years and years. Last 5 years have gotten exponentially worst. At some spots the seals wait for you to hook up so they can eat and take your plug.

FYI, after Columbus Day at least 3/4 of the bars and restaurants shut down. Slimmer pickings.

Otherwise good luck and have fun...beautiful place.

I think your plug is still swimming with the seals SIC34

59 mins ago, OrtleyBeach35 said:

I think your plug is still swimming with the seals SIC34

Will be donating a few more shortly. :p