linesiderdemdnj

Penn slammer 3 3500 tear down - not what I was expecting

45 posts in this topic

Hi All

I tore down my 3500 slammer 3 yesterday and had the worst time prying the side plate off. 

my main gear is deformed on the handle side (left hand retrieve) and would not allow the bearing to come off of it. I ended up having to just keep prying and eventually the 3 small screws that hold the bearing in (why??????) became completely bent in order for the bearing to slide out. I destroyed my reel in the process. Needs a bunch of new parts just from this issue alone. Has anyone seen the same?

had to buy a new main gear, body seal, bearing for that location, and the oscillation bar that is inside of the reel. Not happy. 

511D4A63-2407-42D8-963F-267893EABA15.jpeg

DB7F98A0-4A13-44C5-AA67-147C9B5C9637.jpeg

Posted (edited) · Report post

Mike,

I'd hazard that bearing (20C in the schematic) was corroded to the main gear shaft.

Water got in at that point.

(If there is a) Next time: slow down and use a releasing oil between the main gear and the bearing, couple of drops and go away for a while.....

Edited by ZAFisher

12 mins ago, ZAFisher said:

Mike,

I'd hazard that bearing (20C in the schematic) was corroded to the main gear shaft.

(If there is a) Next time: slow down and use a releasing oil between the main gear and the bearing, couple of drops and go away for a while.....

Agree. 

I'll add something about bearings: I learned from working on roller skates, of all things, that bearings, as long as they are not totally rusted and/or seized, can usually, with a little bit of effort, be made as good as new. Cleaning and re-lubing them is really not too tough -- if you're handy enough to work on fishing reels, then cleaning bearings should be duck soup. 

Take a look at this. When I work on a reel that has four or five bearings, and they cost $5 or $6 apiece, spending a few minutes to clean them is a pretty wise investment, at least to me. 

4 hours ago, ZAFisher said:

Mike,

There was and is no way it can come off. Look at the right side of the gear where the handle screws in. It is wider at the end than where the bearing is. I have tried oil on it after I got the gear out to remove the bearing but the bearing is not wide enough to go over that end. That whole side is deformed completely. I was going slow with it for the first 30 minutes of trying to remove it but then I realized what was happening. 

4 hours ago, Belmo said:

Agree. 

I'll add something about bearings: I learned from working on roller skates, of all things, that bearings, as long as they are not totally rusted and/or seized, can usually, with a little bit of effort, be made as good as new. Cleaning and re-lubing them is really not too tough -- if you're handy enough to work on fishing reels, then cleaning bearings should be duck soup. 

Take a look at this. When I work on a reel that has four or five bearings, and they cost $5 or $6 apiece, spending a few minutes to clean them is a pretty wise investment, at least to me. 

The bearing is completely fine, it can move around on that shaft but that is as far as it’ll go to the right. It’s mind blowing, but the gear is deformed on that right side. I have no clue how this could happen but it did and I’m paying the price literally. 

edited to add that the bottom pic shows just how far it’ll go. The top pic shows it against the gear. 

Edited by linesiderdemdnj

That black stuff does not come off and the part on the right is rusted. Forget the name of it.B7F12370-8093-459A-BE07-927F623B5D13.jpeg.334fab30b53ffa18560f7fdea4a2b70b.jpeg This is completely ridiculous. I probably need to replace every part in the reel I might as well return the $120 of parts I had to buy and get a new reel. 

ECEC4EE8-C165-4DF7-83A7-DA367E9D93AD.jpeg

Was that the side of the reel you had the handle on? If so looks like the handle may have gotten torqued into the excessively hard and somehow caused the spreading. If the handle was not mounted on that side of the reel, I can think of noting that could cause that to happen and it could not have been that way when it was assembled as there would be no way to have gotten the bearing on in the first place. Nor secured the bearing to the frame. Hopefully one of the Penn guys chime in. Could be considered a design flaw that would allow a handle to be screwed in so hard as to deform the socket like that. 

1 hour ago, Fishjerk said:

Was that the side of the reel you had the handle on? If so looks like the handle may have gotten torqued into the excessively hard and somehow caused the spreading. If the handle was not mounted on that side of the reel, I can think of noting that could cause that to happen and it could not have been that way when it was assembled as there would be no way to have gotten the bearing on in the first place. Nor secured the bearing to the frame. Hopefully one of the Penn guys chime in. Could be considered a design flaw that would allow a handle to be screwed in so hard as to deform the socket like that. 

I have caught a few fish that could have created this problem but I mainly use this reel for flounder fishing. The reason I tore the reel down is because I broke the reel stem and wanted to not buy a whole new reel. Thought I could buy a new body and put everything on the new body, thought it would be fun and easy since the reel was in perfect working order. Now that I look at the parts under the hood, I’m utterly in shock.  I’ve spent $120 on parts so far and I bet I need a few more.  Not good. 

is it just me or do those gear teeth look rounded ?

is that a nick in the top of the pinion ?

Edited by mark d

Bottom line is. seems like the op has to do a little more mainenance on his reels .You have to learn how to take the side covers off to remove old grease add new grease and oil the reel. Pennsare pretty easy to servise. I have Penn reels 60 years old and they still work, I still maintain them . 

1 hour ago, hunter123 said:

Bottom line is. seems like the op has to do a little more mainenance on his reels .You have to learn how to take the side covers off to remove old grease add new grease and oil the reel. Pennsare pretty easy to servise. I have Penn reels 60 years old and they still work, I still maintain them . 

Dude I primarily fish van staals, and I do know how to service my reels. I actually know how to turn a screw driver to remove the side cover (there’s only one) off.  The reel did not need to come apart to begin with - if I never broke the reel stem I would have never opened it, and it was working flawlessly before I broke the stem. When I first started primarily hitting salt, for 1.5 years i fished spinfisher Vs and went thru two 4500s and two 5500s, serviced them myself, changed bearings and relubed grease. I would rather not have to do all that so I went van staal and haven’t looked back. 

7 hours ago, mark d said:

is it just me or do those gear teeth look rounded ?

is that a nick in the top of the pinion ?

Main gear? Maybe so but I was using all sorts of force trying to get the cover off so I probably did Nick the pinion and main gear. They’re both getting replaced anyway

9 hours ago, linesiderdemdnj said:

Dude I primarily fish van staals, and I do know how to service my reels. I actually know how to turn a screw driver to remove the side cover (there’s only one) off.  The reel did not need to come apart to begin with - if I never broke the reel stem I would have never opened it, and it was working flawlessly before I broke the stem. When I first started primarily hitting salt, for 1.5 years i fished spinfisher Vs and went thru two 4500s and two 5500s, serviced them myself, changed bearings and relubed grease. I would rather not have to do all that so I went van staal and haven’t looked back. 

Dude , Relax your not being attacked. Take some deep breaths. I only reacted from what you posted. I deep clean all my reels that were used during the season

in the winter. I've had VS reels  also some I liked ,some I didn't, I had the American made one's. I'm glad for you, that you can turn a wrench on a reel.  Don't feel attacked. Tight lines.:howdy:

Edited by hunter123