pennfishing82

Bucktails. To trailer or not to trailer

Rate this topic

69 posts in this topic

On 9/3/2021 at 8:20 PM, CaryGreene said:

My Electric Upperman can also be dressed a bit fuller, these is a 1 oz jig that literally murders fish consistently. The feather kicker is tied fat and proportionate. 

PXL_20210903_235907394.jpg.d9821772775d5d0c84ab1ac1f1cac139.jpg

What happens is that when this jig gets in the water it will compress a little bit and because I do not fish these with trailers my casting distance is maximized. At one point in time I experimented with Uncle Josh #50 Pork Rinds and I found the feather kicker to be pretty darn effective, so much so that I just went with it forever more.

BTW, the #5O didn't affect the casting distance in the least and I did take a couple hundred Stripers on the Upperman style jigs rigged like that. I have also experimented tying this type of jig even fuller. 

Basically what I wanted to do was try to slow it down a bit because when you tie a larger sized Upperman sparsely they just sink like rocks and you have to move them faster. For this reason usually when I tie the larger 1 1/2 oz & up Electric Uppermans, I make sure they are very full ties.

I think the goal with any Bucktail is to slow them down a bit if not a lot. The more you can swim the jig near the bottom and not get hung up, the better your chances of hooking up are.

Adding more hair to The jig will accomplish slow a bucktail down substantially.

One of these days I'll have to do a video on how I tie these because every single aspect of them has been perfected over the last 25 years of tinkering with them. 

I have jigs that are more than 10 years old and they've never lost a single hair or fiber. The reason for that is the thread I use and the way I lock the fibers in place.

I wanted to retain a shape similar to the original Upperman which is why the hair is not flared dramatically like many Bucktails you see. That said there's still a decent amount of stacking and there's some volume and there is a little bit of spread but I'm not sacrificing the bait fish profile of the originals.

Can not seem to locate any bare Jigs you can tie yourself

Do you pour your own jigs, and are these considered center or rear balance?

The only thing I found close is the Butter Bean Jigs molds made by Collins Custom Molds in Virginia

1 hour ago, Lou T said:

The only thing I found close is the Butter Bean Jigs molds made by Collins Custom Molds in Virginia

I had Do-It and Palmer molds in this style. The Do-It is especially easy to modify for oversize hook and relocation placement

14 mins ago, SC said:

I had Do-It and Palmer molds in this style. The Do-It is especially easy to modify for oversize hook and relocation placement

Thanks SC

On 5/15/2022 at 9:59 AM, Lou T said:

Hi Lou,

CB Custom Jigs makes the jig/hook (Butterbean style). I pour my own and if I think you can get molds on sites like Do-It..etc. I've had my molds since the early 70's. Normally I just toss whatever "sheot" metal I have laying around in them and frankly, I seem to rush too much sometimes. One of these days I'll make some really sweet jig heads out of Tin. I keep threatening to do that. Dan Tinman here would be a person to talk too about this style Jig also, he probably makes them. 

22 hours ago, SC said:

Yes, exactly. Oh, another place to get the pre-made ones is HT Lure Co. (online).

1 hour ago, CaryGreene said:

Hi Lou,

CB Custom Jigs makes the jig/hook (Butterbean style). I pour my own and if I think you can get molds on sites like Do-It..etc. I've had my molds since the early 70's. Normally I just toss whatever "sheot" metal I have laying around in them and frankly, I seem to rush too much sometimes. One of these days I'll make some really sweet jig heads out of Tin. I keep threatening to do that. Dan Tinman here would be a person to talk too about this style Jig also, he probably makes them. 

Thanks.

I checked out Dan's site on here first thing. Figuring it would be my best option in picking up a few bare jig heads to try them out.

2 mins ago, Lou T said:

Thanks.

I checked out Dan's site on here first thing. Figuring it would be my best option in picking up a few bare jig heads to try them out.

Excellent. I've heard good things about HT Lure Co out of PA too, for pre-made packages of hooks. Might need a metal file to touch the noses up (no matter who you order pre-made ones from). They are almost always made of lead, so very soft and easy to work with. 

10 mins ago, CaryGreene said:

Excellent. I've heard good things about HT Lure Co out of PA too, for pre-made packages of hooks. Might need a metal file to touch the noses up (no matter who you order pre-made ones from). They are almost always made of lead, so very soft and easy to work with. 

Just looked at there site. There are no options on hook sizing. A 3 oz. Butter Bean Jig come with a 5/0 hook, but thanks again anyway.

Lou T

2 hours ago, CaryGreene said:

Yes, exactly. Oh, another place to get the pre-made ones is HT Lure Co. (online).

They may be for Fluke or blackfish with 5/0 hooks