pennfishing82

Bucktails. To trailer or not to trailer

Rate this topic

69 posts in this topic

CONS:  Trailers screw up the aerodynamics so the bucktail will not cast as well.  Trailer will slow the decent rate so it might be more difficult to get it to the bottom.

PROS:  They smell great and sometimes a little smell makes all the difference.

Edited by oc1

3 hours ago, oc1 said:

CONS:  Trailers screw up the aerodynamics so the bucktail will not cast as well.  Trailer will slow the decent rate so it might be more difficult to get it to the bottom.

PROS:  They smell great and sometimes a little smell makes all the difference.

Well, I caught a nice bluefish yesterday on a bucktail with no trailer, and had another fish on a bucktail with no trailer, but got off the hook.

ALWAYS TRAILER.  This shouldn't be up for debate.  Sure people will say they have caught without, but a bucktail with a trailer will get bit more 99% of the time.  The trailer is what brings and otherwise boring bait to life.  

11 mins ago, MikeK said:

ALWAYS TRAILER.  This shouldn't be up for debate.  Sure people will say they have caught without, but a bucktail with a trailer will get bit more 99% of the time.  The trailer is what brings and otherwise boring bait to life.  

Yes, yes.

A strip of squid will do       wonders     for    your    numbers.

Screen Shot 2021-08-31 at 7.27.49 AM.png

with bucktails like that, who needs a trailer??? . . . beautiful work! ! ! . . . 

. . . but for commoners like me . . . always have trailer on . . .

I tie a rabbit zonker strip on some of my bucktails. Small bucktails I use gulp Swimming mullet 3’, longer ones a 5” gulp curly tail. All work well, better than bare for me. 

8539D1B7-BAE1-4AD5-9002-8D1A15F38AC0.jpeg

Edited by Iophon

29 mins ago, Brothers said:

I’ll bite. 

I’m throwing bucktails 90% of the time when I fish, been pouring lead and tying  them for a couple years now. I never throw a trailer on, Iv tried in the past but just have confidence without the trailer. 

each their own. 

9E1E0634-F619-4BC9-8651-8702DFCCE915.jpeg

80A0E414-7B49-4E24-A934-E08B2745B306.jpeg

Very nice looking stuff

51 mins ago, FISH BUCKET said:

A well made bucktail is a lure unto itself..it needs nothing.

naked jigs are made for trailers

Will a naked bucktail catch? Yes, after all blitzing bluefish will hit a budweisser can.

Campo said in his recent interview "everything will work, but somethings work better".  A trailer adds a different type of motion, contrasting color, scent and even possibly taste. I think 9 times out of 10 a properly dressed bucktail will outfitlsh a naked bucktail.

For me personally, my fishing time is limited and I want to maximize my chance for success.  In the rare event that I forgot my Uncle Josh, I would generally opt to fish something else than a bucktail.

7 hours ago, pennfishing82 said:

Are bucktails still effective without a trailer, or will a trailer make a big difference? If so, what type of trailer? Pork rind, gulp, fat cow, zoom??

For bass, my first choice is a porkrind. Second is a large white mr twister tail.

For fluke, a long strip of squid with a split tail, Berkley gulp or a combination of gulp and squid.

21 mins ago, MikeK said:

Will a naked bucktail catch? Yes, after all blitzing bluefish will hit a budweisser can.

Campo said in his recent interview "everything will work, but somethings work better".  A trailer adds a different type of motion, contrasting color, scent and even possibly taste. I think 9 times out of 10 a properly dressed bucktail will outfitlsh a naked bucktail.

For me personally, my fishing time is limited and I want to maximize my chance for success.  In the rare event that I forgot my Uncle Josh, I would generally opt to fish something else than a bucktail.

A bucktail is the most versatile lure ever. All other lures are niche lures. You can only use surface plugs on the surface. You can only use tin lures probably on the bottom and can only be retrieved slowly or they will spin. Bucktails can be fished at any level in the water coluum and retrieved at any speed. Not to mention bucktails can imitate any kind of bait. Diamond jigs are my second choice.