The Riddler

Albie Whining Thread 2021 Edition

Rate this topic

150 posts in this topic

I am sure we will get some good stories. 3 trips in and its absolutely brutal on The Cape. Vineyard has been great. I feel for the shore guys. You drive 1-2 hours and battle some traffic going home. You are looking for your limited shots and a boater decides to park his boat right there blocking you out. Miles and miles of coastline but they have to have that too. I can live with people starting up a boat and staying on the outskirts to score but drive right thru a 10x10' pod your working to get to the next pod 100 yards out? :huh:

Ok, I'll start. Please don't get mad, and I fully understand YMMV.

For the life of me, I can't understand why anyone bothers with these fish? 

Just now, bob_G said:

Thread Closed. :laugh:

7 mins ago, bob_G said:

Ok, I'll go...

A number of reasons, but for me one of the best is....

.... I have given up on seeing my backing or hearing my drag any other way. 

If I don't hook at least one albie per year, I may not get to hear my drag scream at all that season. 

It used to be I could count on stripers to help out in that regard.

I haven't had a striper on my flyrod make it to backing in years.

I haven't heard much from the drag on my surf rod either.

At least albies can still stir this thick old blood. The striped bass sure ain't getting it done.

17 mins ago, bob_G said:

They are fun to catch because they fight hard for their size but I don’t understand why a lot of people lose their minds so much over these fish. In the south they are so common that they are used as bait. 

28 mins ago, bob_G said:

Well, it’s either this or retire from saltwater fishing completely and just sit and drink iced coffees at the ditch for the rest of my life

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

It's all about getting "it". Just like chasing a 30,40,50lb stripers.

They are super fun to catch. Wish they were edible but after my beagle spit out a cooked bite of tenderloin, I was convinced it must be worst than eating her own poop and has no place on my table. I tried it twice and followed all of the protocols with a brain spike, bleeding, spinal fluid bleed, ice right away, and cooked after a bit of heavy marinade. Nope, it was still like eating canned cat food. 

2 mins ago, NHAngler said:

They are super fun to catch. Wish they were edible but after my beagle spit out a cooked bite of tenderloin, I was convinced it must be worst than eating her own poop and has no place on my table. I tried it twice and followed all of the protocols with a brain spike, bleeding, spinal fluid bleed, ice right away, and cooked after a bit of heavy marinade. Nope, it was still like eating canned cat food. 

have you tried eating canned cat food ?

cooking it is the problem. :D

Posted (edited) · Report post

15 hours ago, The Riddler said:

I am sure we will get some good stories. 3 trips in and its absolutely brutal on The Cape. Vineyard has been great. I feel for the shore guys. You drive 1-2 hours and battle some traffic going home. You are looking for your limited shots and a boater decides to park his boat right there blocking you out. Miles and miles of coastline but they have to have that too. I can live with people starting up a boat and staying on the outskirts to score but drive right thru a 10x10' pod your working to get to the next pod 100 yards out? :huh:

Need to get on the VHF and announce some locations to send them to. :witty:

Edited by NHAngler

3 mins ago, FizzyFish said:

have you tried eating canned cat food ?

cooking it is the problem. :D

not yet but always looking to expand my pallet when the zombie apocalypse pushes me to go out of my comfort zone. :) 

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

When I caught my first albie from shore it did what I expected. It went on about 3 runs. I might not have had my drag overly loose so it didn't run too far. I have 20lb braid and a 15lb flouro leader on my rod. I reeled it in fairly quickly. Then I released it.

Once it swam away I thought to myself, "ok, just like every other fish in the ocean".  :)

It was fun to catch. It was gratifying to land after all the research I did on how to catch them. However, I didn't win a pot of gold. Unicorns didn't shoot rainbows out of their horns. Fair maidens didn't throw themselves at my feet because I caught a funny fish.

I guess the big appeal is the challenge. And it's a nice change up from the summer long grind of fishing for stripers, blues, etc.  I'm not about to lose my mind with infatuation to catch them. Or I wouldn't plow a boat through a hot spot just to get in on the action.

However, I would like to catch bones more regularly 'cuz I want to eat them. I primarily target fish I like to eat, which is why I never fish for largemouth bass.

Edited by zak-striper

3 mins ago, NHAngler said:

not yet but always looking to expand my pallet when the zombie apocalypse pushes me to go out of my comfort zone. :) 

beans and rice are much cheaper than either cat or dog food.

try it as sashimi/sushi or very lightly pan seared  15-20 secs/side. on a very hot pan.   you might be surprised.   ( if you like sushi/sashimi )